Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 PM
littlepod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22LR Match Reamer for PRS

Hey everyone, I'm a PRS/NRL22 shooter and I started off with a Tikka T1X. I wanted to get something a bit more "match" and get some tighter groups so I bought the first majorly available T1X barrel from IBI. At the time the only reamer they had was Win52D.

It shoots great. I can consistently hit groups 6x5 sheets in the .7" @ 100 yards with Center-X. (0.66 MOA)

But man is it a pain in the %%% to feed. And that feeding part is killing me in time on stages. Either too much force which shakes/moves/destabilizes the barricade. Losing sight picture, etc. Wasting too much time on follow up shots.

So what can I do?

I have not heard issues with people running an Eley EPS chamber. Now Eley EPS does run a little deeper, and is tighter at the opening. If I run an Eley EPS reamer through my current barrel, it'll basically widen/deepen the internal, but still have the wider start from the Win52D. I'm not sure how bad that will hurt accuracy...

The other option I have is to possibly initiate a return and just get a new barrel. Their new barrels though are reamed with Calfee IV. I'm not sure how Calfee IV wlll perform with my 8000 rounds of stocked up, good lot SK/Lapua ammo. Or if it will feed any better either..

Also I notice a lot of the rough feeding is due to the crushing/marring of this area of the bullet on Win52D.

Thoughts?

Thans!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:32 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't really think a 'match" chamber is needed for PRS size targets. Smooth reliable feeding from the magazine into the chamber and possibly more practice with smooth fast cycling of the bolt will help. We went with straight pull Izhmash Biathalon guns which are super smooth, fast and extremely accurate. Might check them out, think you'd like them for the NRL/PRS game.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 01-26-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:45 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepod View Post
Hey everyone, I'm a PRS/NRL22 shooter and I started off with a Tikka T1X. I wanted to get something a bit more "match" and get some tighter groups so I bought the first majorly available T1X barrel from IBI. At the time the only reamer they had was Win52D.

It shoots great. I can consistently hit groups 6x5 sheets in the .7" @ 100 yards with Center-X. (0.66 MOA)

But man is it a pain in the %%% to feed. And that feeding part is killing me in time on stages. Either too much force which shakes/moves/destabilizes the barricade. Losing sight picture, etc. Wasting too much time on follow up shots.

So what can I do?

I have not heard issues with people running an Eley EPS chamber. Now Eley EPS does run a little deeper, and is tighter at the opening. If I run an Eley EPS reamer through my current barrel, it'll basically widen/deepen the internal, but still have the wider start from the Win52D. I'm not sure how bad that will hurt accuracy...

The other option I have is to possibly initiate a return and just get a new barrel. Their new barrels though are reamed with Calfee IV. I'm not sure how Calfee IV wlll perform with my 8000 rounds of stocked up, good lot SK/Lapua ammo. Or if it will feed any better either..

Also I notice a lot of the rough feeding is due to the crushing/marring of this area of the bullet on Win52D.

Thoughts?

Thans!
Since you are shooting Lapua/SK ammo I would suggest this reamer. it has very little engraving, but really performs with Lapua ammo. bolt closing effort is not much more then with an empty chamber. at least in my Anschutz Match 54 and Falcon actions.

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 11:36 PM
littlepod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm the Nevius 22 looks even tighter than the Win52D?

.2278 A
.2250 B
.580 C

Nevius 22 looks like
.2250 A
.2248 B
0.6 C

So the C part maybe is the longer distance, which prevents engraving?
Old 01-26-2020, 11:40 PM
littlepod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topstrap44 View Post
Don't really think a 'match" chamber is needed for PRS size targets. Smooth reliable feeding from the magazine into the chamber and possibly more practice with smooth fast cycling of the bolt will help. We went with straight pull Izhmash Biathalon guns which are super smooth, fast and extremely accurate. Might check them out, think you'd like them for the NRL/PRS game.

Topstrap
Agree on not needing that much... though today hitting a 1/2" spinner at 65 yards proved challenging if I was not using a sub moa rifle. Most standard factory barrels are going to be running something on the order of 1MOA at 50, 1.2MOA at 100, and 1.5-2MOA at 200.

Sure, most targets are larger, but definitely having less variance, means you have less stacking on your not 100% stable positioning too.

Overall agree, I probably have lost more points due to time running out then possibly missing due to an inaccurate rifle.

Currently I'm already $325 sunk into my barrel, so trying to find a usable outcome - before getting a V22 in May.

The biathlon actions are cool... I have a PWS T3 Summit... that is not very accurate. I'll need to look to see what I can do... most likely get a KRG Bravo 10/22, skim bed it.. check the headspace, and get some better glass... just to verify how good/bad it is.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:08 AM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Most standard factory barrels are going to be running something on the order of 1MOA at 50, 1.2MOA at 100, and 1.5-2MOA at 200.
Is this what most people are seeing for typical increases from 50 yards to 100 yards to 200 yards?
Old 01-27-2020, 06:39 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Hmm the Nevius 22 looks even tighter than the Win52D?

.2278 A
.2250 B
.580 C

Nevius 22 looks like
.2250 A
.2248 B
0.6 C

So the C part maybe is the longer distance, which prevents engraving?
It suppose to engrave 0.030 on the ogive, but I have never been able to see any.
the 52D- is 0.020 shorter so it will engage by that much more.
also the Nevius has a 1.5 degree leade angle not sure what the 52D has.

all my chambers are setup where a live round pushed in with a finger will stick out by 0.075 when you stop as soon as you feel resistance.

Lee
Old 01-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No help from me,sry just here to learn more and ask. Does this .02 makes a big difference and why? Are you guys buying these reemers or have they cut by others? How many times are reemers used before they lose spec? Do you check the barrel to confirm the spec? How? Just learning this side of stuff now after 30 yrs of backyard plinking. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:26 PM
Dennis D
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The problem with the 52 reamer isn't that it's tight but that it's short. If your rifle doesn't have enough closing cam you have to physically push forward on the bolt to chamber the round. Ideally you should be able to just push the bolt forward until you feel resistance from the round touching the rifling then be able to just close the bolt with a downward motion letting the cam do all the work. This assumes of course that you have tuned the magazine to cleanly feed the round into the barrel to begin with. It also assumes that the trigger is timed correctly.

I've not worked with a TX1 so I don't know how much cam it has but I'd bet it's not enough for the 52 chamber.

Dennis
Old 01-29-2020, 03:24 PM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
No help from me,sry just here to learn more and ask. Does this .02 makes a big difference and why? Are you guys buying these reemers or have they cut by others? How many times are reemers used before they lose spec? Do you check the barrel to confirm the spec? How? Just learning this side of stuff now after 30 yrs of backyard plinking. Thanks for sharing.
The .22 Nevius reamer was developed by Kevin, who is a high-power and small bore competitor sponsored by Lapua. He is also a gunsmith and experimented to optimize a .22 chamber for the Lapua offerings. One of the key features was determination of the best engraving depth for accuracy, developed after a lot of testing.

I think JGS is the only reamer manufacturer that cuts this reamer. That was also the only manufacturer that I remember discussing with him.

One can check the chamber after cutting visually with a bore scope to verify finish and another option is to make a chamber casting. For the most part, the key is the resultant accuracy during testing.

Reamer life is dependent on the types and hardness of the various barrels, amount of cut and also use of cutting fluids. I will have to ask how many chambers can be cut from a new reamer.

Regards,
ken
Old 01-29-2020, 04:23 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A gunsmith friend who has a 52D reamer ground off the rim seat cutter at the back so he can fine tune the chamber depth for the ammo used. The last barrel he used it on had similar issues as the op and a smidge more 'length' solved it. It still shoots very well.
Btw, he cuts the rim seat on the lathe for a new barrel, on an existing chambered barrel it would be just carefully running the reamer in by hand a smidge at a time and checking the ammo fit frequently.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:27 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1813benny View Post
The .22 Nevius reamer was developed by Kevin, who is a high-power and small bore competitor sponsored by Lapua. He is also a gunsmith and experimented to optimize a .22 chamber for the Lapua offerings. One of the key features was determination of the best engraving depth for accuracy, developed after a lot of testing.

I think JGS is the only reamer manufacturer that cuts this reamer. That was also the only manufacturer that I remember discussing with him.

One can check the chamber after cutting visually with a bore scope to verify finish and another option is to make a chamber casting. For the most part, the key is the resultant accuracy during testing.

Reamer life is dependent on the types and hardness of the various barrels, amount of cut and also use of cutting fluids. I will have to ask how many chambers can be cut from a new reamer.

Regards,
ken
According to Kevin from what he told me, the basic print for the reamer is based after the Bill Myers 1.5 design with the stop removed. because of this change in the designed JGS told him we need to change the design name, so they called it Nevius.
so any smith with a Myers 1.5 reamer can cut a chamber following his specs. if they remove the stop

Lee
Old 01-30-2020, 09:00 AM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lee's advice on chamber is solid.
Todd