Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:21 AM
bowzette
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Wind Questions

I've moved from an area of moderate wind to rather strong constant wind. The wind is generally 10-15 mph and if not it is 10-20 mph. Of course there are times of lighter wind especially early in the morning during the summer and there are 5-10 mph days. So my question is with 10-15 mph wind and shooting at 100 yds does it matter if one rifle is more mechanically accurate than another so long as the rifles are reasonably accurate at 50 yds with very light wind. I gave my CZ 453 Varmint to my son. I could consistently get groups from .27-.35 at 50 yds in very light wind shooting Wolf. . Now I'm living east of Austin in the open plains. In the conditions I described at 100 yds would an Annie MPR, CZ 457, RPR maybe with a GM barrel) or Ultimate 10/22 which I have (Fedderson barrel, Kidd receiver, two state trigger, bolt, internals) have the ability to shoot tighter groups or is the wind likely to negate difference in mechanical accuracy and groups will be similarly tossed about?

Additionally with 10-15 mph wind among .22lr, 17 HMR , 17 WSM and .22 mag does one have an advantage over the others at 100 yds considering bullet weight vs speed. And then there is the issue of quality of the ammo where the .22lr is available in quality target ammo and the others maybe questionable. I'm not killing furry critters, just evil paper. Or with 10-15 mph wind just forget the RF and get a CF caliber and reload?
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my limited experience at 100 yards in that kind of wind , rimfire just isnít going to be target accurate. No little tiny groups on a consistent basis.

When its that windy i take my Savage 12 FV in 223 to the range, but i still only shoot at 50 yards.

At 100 yards i shoot my 308.

https://gun.deals/product/savage-arm...e-only-cabelas
Old 01-15-2020, 01:36 PM
bowzette

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Toomany that is what I was thinking. I love .22lr but this wind it tough. I ride a bike a lot in the country side and very much aware of this wind. East of Austin is much like north of Dallas I've been shooting handguns but got the rife itch again. There is an indoor 100 yard rifle range near me but it is very "unpleasant" to be shooting next to AR 15 "machine guns". Good for getting zero without wind but not for fun shooting and I can't really get setup well on the shooting ledge-not a true bench. My 10/22 is very accurate. Last time I shot indoors I had a .08" five shot group at 25 yds with Wolf. I'll play with it in the wind some at distance but I probably will stay with 25 or 50 yds depending on the wind. If I want to shoot longer distance I will spend the money on a CF and reload for it. Years ago when the earth was flat I reload for a 25-06 low volume, accurate rounds. My thought was and I think you confirm this-spending money chasing an accurate RF for 100 yds under the windy conditions is a waste of money.
Thanks
Mike aka bowzette my best buddy for 17 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 01:53 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
So my question is with 10-15 mph wind and shooting at 100 yds does it matter if one rifle is more mechanically accurate than another so long as the rifles are reasonably accurate at 50 yds with very light wind.
I think this condition is atypical, and that when most shooters complain about wind, they mean wind of a variable speed and direction.

I had the pleasure of several summers shooting in a high but consistent wind with a 22lr. I found that good accuracy (for me that's 2moa) was still reflected on the target well at 100 yards. If memory serves I needed 7 quarter inch clicks vertically and 24 clicks horizontally to make it work. However that was at a high elevation relative to surrounding valleys, and I can't recall having found that condition elsewhere.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wind at 100 is going to cause 'much frustration'. Why fight it and have that, this is supposed to be fun, right? Keep shooting the 22rf for 25-50 (even 50 is not without 'challenges') and consider that neither is as far to walk to post or pull targets.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought you must have moved to southeastern NM. That's pretty much our ordinary weather except when the wind blows even harder which is frequent. Today was one of those rare days with no wind at all until after 12 o'clock. It's the lull before the storm. If it's above 15 mph I stick to pistols. 20 mph is my stay at home threshold. I'm tired of trying to read the wind and wasting ammo.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:19 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where I live (Canadian Prairies) a constant 10mph wind is common...most summer days in fact.
As long as the wind is constant it is not really a problem. My .22WMR which is a consistent 1.25MOA shooter (at 100m) on a calm day opens up maybe 1/4 of an inch. I'll get the odd flyer when there is a wind gust, but when the wind is consistent I still hit most of the gophers (what we call Richardson Ground Squirrels) I shoot at that distance.
Even our Marlin XT-22's, again if the wind is consistent will shoot under 2.5" easily. May not be 'target' accurate, but plenty accurate for shooting small game.
And properly reading and adjusting for wind at that distance IMO is a lot more fun that shooting at 25yds and and not having to challenge yourself.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:40 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Wind at any distance is challenging and makes for more fun. 100 yards is vastly more interesting. So long as it is steady from one direction and doesn't vary too much in velocity, you can be the master of it but it still takes determination and close attention to variations . A good set of wind flags will do wonders for you. Both ranges that I shoot on feature lots of nice wind, if you are waiting for a windless day you might be home all but one day every 4 months or so . Something to keep in mind, everyone else at the shoot is shooting in the same wind, so it's still a fair contest. If you learn to shoot in the wind, you will come out way ahead of those who dont.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:13 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For the record. Every1 MPH in wind will cause about 3/8 of an inch deflection at 100 yards even with the best match ammo not including the inherent group size plus there is a vertical component to the wind as well. If you are using HV ammo the deflection for a one MPH wind is even greater, probably more like 7/16 of an inch. But my ballistic calculator is known to lie.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:32 PM
bowzette

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Since I moved here three years ago I've been shooting handguns except for a few times on the 100 yd indoor range to sight in scopes. I'll quit whining and go to the Austin Rifle Club when the wind isn't crazy (often blowing over 20 mph) and see what the 10/22 and I can do at 25-100 yds. Thanks for the comments. All interesting and useful. I don't think the wind direction shifts a lot but the wind speed will vary by 5 mph or more with consistency. Got to gather up or make some more wind flags.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Bamboo garden stakes and cheap, light, bright colored ribbon.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a wind rose for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
I don't think the wind direction shifts a lot but the wind speed will vary by 5 mph or more with consistency. Got to gather up or make some more wind flags.
One advantage to CF is that the bullets have a higher Ballistic Coefficient, which among other things determines resistance to wind deflection.

Another issue is which effects various wind directions can cause. Attached is a 'Wind Rose' diagram describing the effects on a right-hand-twist bullet, which is spinning and is subject to invisible gyroscopic forces. This means that the bullet will move along a vertical axis that is perpendicular both to the axis of flight and the wind direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wind Rose - Right-Hand Twist.JPG (41.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
100 yd target accuracy in the wind is achievable and is commonplace if you have the rifle/ammo combination and are willing to spend the time to really learn conditions - and not only wind.

Get a set of flags and observe as much as possible.

Regards,
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1579D6B-501E-4299-8D28-71A53F4CD7B8_1579199291838.jpg (119.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 01:31 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wind and rimfire isn't a bad thing, it's a fun thing.

I do it at 200 yards and can still stay on paper.....most of the time.

Get out there and shoot, even when it's blowing 15 to 20 mph.
Don't just talk about it, do it. Do it a lot.
The more time spent compensating/adjusting to wind, the easier it gets.

If you want easy, shoot benchrest at 30 feet.
See how long it takes until y'er bored.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Wind and rimfire isn't a bad thing, it's a fun thing.

I do it at 200 yards and can still stay on paper.....most of the time.

Get out there and shoot, even when it's blowing 15 to 20 mph.
Don't just talk about it, do it. Do it a lot.
The more time spent compensating/adjusting to wind, the easier it gets.

If you want easy, shoot benchrest at 30 feet.
See how long it takes until y'er bored.
Or 200yds to see how frustrated one can get. Whatever floats one's boat I say. Distance is all relative whether calipers or a yardstick is needed for measurements.