Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:37 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
So to recap:

Guy claims that ammo price is hindering the sport. Then wants proof that more expensive ammo shoots better. doesnt think he has a place to compete. Then is shown there are matches local to him, but decides he doesnt want to. And throws in that his buddies also think $20 box ammo is stupid.

At the end of the day, this stuff

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019409117?pid=599864

has been available for a while and the sales of bulk ammo dwarfs the sale of target, let alone match ammo. so i wouldnt say the small percentage of the match ammo sold compared to other .22 bulk, is killing the sport. especially when your argument is that you dont feel like competing even though your claim was that expensive ammo is keeping people out of the sport. it really doesnt seem like you want to compete, and if your choice in ammo is truely something you are comfortable with I am not sure why you are complaining about what other people choose to do with their money.
^^^^THIS

Basically, what I just read in Clem-E's post is, cheap, low performance ammo and the lack of desire to participate in a way that's relevant to obvious growth within an evolving set of rimfire disciplines is strangling innovation and continued growth and interest in the sport. Couple this with a bad attitude and you get a thread like this one....

Very profound Clem E....

MB
Old 12-12-2019, 08:52 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know several former NRA Lever Action Silhouette national champions and none of the shoot $20/box 22 ammo.

Maybe the benchrest guys do that, but punching holes in paper is boring anyway.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
So to recap:

Guy claims that ammo price is hindering the sport. Then wants proof that more expensive ammo shoots better. doesnt think he has a place to compete. Then is shown there are matches local to him, but decides he doesnt want to. And throws in that his buddies also think $20 box ammo is stupid.

At the end of the day, this stuff

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019409117?pid=599864

has been available for a while and the sales of bulk ammo dwarfs the sale of target, let alone match ammo. so i wouldnt say the small percentage of the match ammo sold compared to other .22 bulk, is killing the sport. especially when your argument is that you dont feel like competing even though your claim was that expensive ammo is keeping people out of the sport. it really doesnt seem like you want to compete, and if your choice in ammo is truely something you are comfortable with I am not sure why you are complaining about what other people choose to do with their money.
So to boil it down even further:

He sucks at shooting, doesn't want to improve, and fabricates excuses for why he shouldn't even try.

My first ever use of the Ignore function.....

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 12-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:21 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I think it's time to invoke the "Sophia Rule." Before we hit reply we should ask ourselves:

Am I helping or at least not distracting from the conversation? If yes continue. If no, probably best to just stop.

Mi dos centavos,

Frank
Old 12-12-2019, 11:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This thread has run its course and has no redeeming value other than to become a monkey-poo flinging session....should be closed and locked.

Just preserving the remaining decorum......
Old 12-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVAGE View Post
^^^^THIS

Basically, what I just read in Clem-E's post is, cheap, low performance ammo and the lack of desire to participate in a way that's relevant to obvious growth within an evolving set of rimfire disciplines is strangling innovation and continued growth and interest in the sport. Couple this with a bad attitude and you get a thread like this one....

Very profound Clem E....

MB
Thank you Sir. Just an observation.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
So to boil it down even further:

He sucks at shooting, doesn't want to improve, and fabricates excuses for why he shouldn't even try.

My first ever use of the Ignore function.....

Old 12-12-2019, 11:29 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
I think it's time to invoke the "Sophia Rule." Before we hit reply we should ask ourselves:

Am I helping or at least not distracting from the conversation? If yes continue. If no, probably best to just stop.

Mi dos centavos,

Frank
^^^ Yeah - that.

It does seem that some are just here to bash Adventurer without adding to the conversation.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
^^^ Yeah - that.

It does seem that some are just here to bash Adventurer without adding to the conversation.
Howdy SailDesign! It's all fun and games till someone puts an eye out

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bob the banjo player.jpg (44.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:33 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Life's too short to be shooting crappy ammo!

Old 12-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
In these troubling times of anti gun propaganda ; we need more people interested in the sport. Keeping it expensive does nothing but deter interest in the sport.
If that's a fear for you maybe you should join the NRA & GOA and do your part to support your sport. ~~JMJ~~
Old 12-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
When good men doing nothing, evil prevails
Exactly ~Are You A Member Of The NRA?
No
Are You A Member Of Gun Owners Of America?
No ~~ Fix this ~~JMJ~~
Old 12-12-2019, 06:39 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím surprised that no one has pointed out that most of the Top ARA Competitors are shooting Eley Match; which is $14.25 a box or Lapua Midas + @ $14.70. Yes, Red Box is still $17.99.

It is my impression that most of the NRL22 Competitors are using Ammo thatís one step down...Lapua Center X ($10.30), SK Rifle ($7.15), CCI Standard ($7.99).

I have tested Midas + vs Center X at the Lapua Testing Facility in Mesa, AZ. My guns canít tell the difference.

I will agree with the statement that itís hard for new shooters, including me, to get the full benefit out of training, if shooting less than optimal ammunition. The cheap Ammo makes it easier to call a bad shot a ďflyerĒ instead of using it to diagnose something I am going incorrectly. Learning how to read wind is hard enough with good Ammo, it is much more difficult for me with mid-priced Ammo.

Show Up & Shoot

Shoot what you can afford

Improve your personal scores Every Month

Compare your Results to Competitors with similar gear & Ammo

The 2020 Match Schedule should be out soon. Here is a Link:

https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/index.php
Old 12-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Joe58
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Having gotten involved with ARA benchrest a couple season ago now, I can attest it is quite intimidating to walk the firing line and see the unlimited rifles folks are using. And when you start kind of pricing things in your head, it will make most guys shy away I fear. Between the rifle, optics, rest, wind flags, and all the associated gear, itís a substantial investment. Even going with used gear. Most arenít willing to jump in that deep.

I have found, at least with the group I shoot with, the shooters are very eager to share equipment and offer help and advice. This will at least give you a taste to see if itís something you can enjoy. I found I really have a great time and have met terrific people. My gear is not the latest and greatest, and most I bought used, but if the gods cooperate, some days I can be near the top. But I shoot more for me and more for fun than anything else. And the fellowship is a blast.

I do agree a production class might entice new shooters into ARA, and if theyíre scored separately against each other, itíd be pretty fair I think. The scores may be a bit lower in total compared to unlimited, but the spread between first and last place would probably be about the same. Itís all relative. Not sure how prizes or whatever would be awarded if there are maybe only one or two production shooters. I have several production level rifles myself Iíd like to shoot now and then, and likely will this season, even though I know going in Iíll get outshot by the top shooters. But thatís ok.

And production class would let shooters who enjoy benchrest have a chance to shoot knowing they are not trying to compete head to head with another shooters 5k setup.

Everyone enjoys at least being close to winning now and then. Lol.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:13 PM
ronsatspokane

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I suppose there could be a place for arcade rifles and ammo sold by the bucket but it would not be anything I'd be interested in. Life is too short to shoot cheap ammo.