Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
buy a used or nos factory original , the Numrich + other repros are not tempered correctly + fail to hold temper with use - 60 + plus years owning , collecting , repairing , + rebuilding + i never had a new style latch crack - old style latches that attach to receiver are known for cracking by attaching screws -
Thanks for that advice. I hate a fix that doesn't fix it or causes issues later.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:33 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (63)
Member PWNolan makes these. They work fine in my 511's and he is a good guy to deal with.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=244199
Old 01-17-2021, 08:03 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
Member PWNolan makes these. They work fine in my 511's and he is a good guy to deal with.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=244199
That was the one I found on Ebay, and was fairly sure it was the same PWNolan from here. Thanks for the scoop.... I didn't even think about checking the TP here.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:22 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, that's been fun. After chasing my tail a bit trying to get consistent with this rifle, and blaming it mostly on my eyes, the obvious came to light. A comment on another thread got me thinking.... did I ever measure the aperture size on the rear disc?

The answer was no. So I measured it. And also found through some searches that I don't have the regular rear disc, I have a Redfield Master Sighting Disc.... with no inserts. So after having this "Doo-oooh" moment, I took a measurement. The aperture with no insert is a bit over 1/8". No wonder the front was getting lost and my eyes had trouble with the light.

So I fashioned some inserts that would fit, and tried the smallest one the next trip to the range. Much better sight picture, light is controlled better, and I could get the groups a lot tighter. I still need to do some playing around and figure out the best insert for the rear, as light isn't great at the indoor range where I shoot. I think I might be able to go smaller on the rear, which is at approx 1.2 mm now. I'm not sure what is going to work best for sight picture and eye fatigue in that lighting.

The attached photo is targets from the first outing, and the most recent. Even shooting with a post at a target not real defined @ 25 yards with lowish light, the groups are easily half the size as before. With a crisp clear target I'm sure I can improve, and I didn't even fine tune the sighters on this outing.

Now I just need to figure out the front. I really don't want to put new sights on both ends, but not much exists for insert sizes for the Redfield 68. It seems most dovetailed sights that take common and easy to find inserts are differing heights, which leads to changing the rear mount at least..... I'll keep digging though, or maybe just make some front inserts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 513 target improvements.jpg (28.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Signmaster; 08-01-2021 at 01:58 AM.