Badly rusted bore's - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:14 AM
Pressman
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Badly rusted bore's

I have two rifles with them, one needs to be re-barreled-when money permits. The other is a Bubba special, DSM-34 Mauser. It's beyond restoring. Bore scope inspection shows both rifles have serious rust pitting along most of the bore length and neither will group into less than two inches at 25 yards.

With nothing to lose, I scrubbed with cleaners, brushes, JB Bore paste, and nothing changed.

One drastic step is scrubbing the bore with Silicon Carbide, 120 grit. Using a felt cleaning plug each bore got 50 strokes, then change felts and fifty additional strokes, followed by a thorough cleaning. The bore scope shows a nice shiny bore. The pits are still there, nothing will remove them. Stroking with a tight patch indicates a much smoother bore.

Test firing the Mauser shows a significant increase in potential accuracy. The real test will be at the range later today.

Ken
Old 07-23-2021, 08:13 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
I have two rifles with them, one needs to be re-barreled-when money permits. The other is a Bubba special, DSM-34 Mauser. It's beyond restoring. Bore scope inspection shows both rifles have serious rust pitting along most of the bore length and neither will group into less than two inches at 25 yards.

With nothing to lose, I scrubbed with cleaners, brushes, JB Bore paste, and nothing changed.

One drastic step is scrubbing the bore with Silicon Carbide, 120 grit. Using a felt cleaning plug each bore got 50 strokes, then change felts and fifty additional strokes, followed by a thorough cleaning. The bore scope shows a nice shiny bore. The pits are still there, nothing will remove them. Stroking with a tight patch indicates a much smoother bore.

Test firing the Mauser shows a significant increase in potential accuracy. The real test will be at the range later today.

Ken
I have a Brownells kit of various carbide grits but never went coarser than 320 grit even on a bad bore. Obviously 120 will be a lot faster but leave deeper scratches. If it worked for you,
Old 07-23-2021, 08:57 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will be interesting anyway. I do agree 300 or 320 grit would be the most I would use too. When polishing 10/22 innards I never used something as course as even 200. One option to keep in mind is to drill the bore and have a barrel liner installed. You can go back to 22 or change to 17 mach 2 which may be an interesting swap for you if accuracy is your goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2021, 03:17 PM
skwerl58
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Savage 1899, 30-30 take down , 1914 year of manufacture that had rust in the bore. It is badly pitted but the old rifle is dependable and shoots the 150 grain ammo as good as if it had no pits. It did not shoot the 130 gn worth a hoot. We have killed every deer that we have shot at with this rifle. Not a tack driver but it does what it is designed to do. Hope you can get yours to where you are satisfied with them.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:23 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Making your bore "shiny bright" may make you feel good but you may regret it. I have lots of military rifles with dark pitted bores that shoot just fine and others that look much better through the bore scope that shoot like shotguns. If you got your Mausers to shoot good my advice is STOP! don't do anymore polishing or you may regret it.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:53 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
FWIW - might be worth a try

awhile back i had 2 Remington 510barreled action flood guns from hurricane Katrina could not see any rifiling at all i p[lug chamer end + fil;led bores with fresh white vinegar + let set for about a week - one came out with rifling looking like new , other came out dark , but both were good shooters -
Old 07-23-2021, 09:17 PM
Pressman
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Range report

The rifle with the new, shiny bore shoots OK, not up to full potential but good enough for practice. It was built as a BR-50 rifle. I can re-barrel it as $$$ permit.

The Mauser is too far gone, though I have one more trick to try. It's going need a sleeve to ever shoot again. It's so bad now that it was throwing bullets in a 12 inch circle in no pattern, at 25 yards.