Do you like the pricing options on new rimfires? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 PM
hunting909

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you like the pricing options on new rimfires?

When looking at the selection of new rimfires on the market, do you wish more firearms were built and priced more cheaply? Do you think the current selection is about right? Or, would you like to see more firearms with more expensive components/options at a higher price?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Of course I would like everything to be less expensive and higher quality at the same time.

Unfortunately - you either get one or the other.

Take a look here on the forum for the most popular guns.
Least to most expensive:

1. CZ - which runs $400-500 unless you get a Grand Finale or something like that.
2. Built Ruger 10/22 - typical cost all in is over $1,000
3. Anschutz. Starts at $1,500 and goes up from there

Notice what DOESN'T get attention or a large following on the forums...
Cheap guns.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I currently own only six guns. The actual prices I paid total roughly $2800. If I had wanted cheaper made and therefore cheaper priced guns I could have several more than what I do have. I just don't care for plastic or pot metal. I'm afraid that's where the market has headed, though, on every caliber.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:20 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think there are really quite a few options in all price ranges.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:50 AM
hunting909

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When looking at new guns, the centerfire rifles and shotguns always have a significant representation of $1000 dollar plus guns with all of the bells and whistles. Then I look at the rimfires they have on the shelves and the majority, if not all, are priced under $600. Many way under that price. Yeah, the Anschutz and Coopers are priced a lot more, but they are so rare in the smaller gun shops that I bet a lot of hunters and target shooters have never actually shot one-if even held one. I wish all rimfire manufacturers would up the quality and yes price of their guns. I for one would be willing to pay for it!
Old 05-18-2019, 11:33 AM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plenty to choose from currently.

My friends and I tend to gravitate toward rimfires in the $400-$1000 price range, whether built or bought.

My coworkers on the other hand are a bunch of cheap rednecks who won't spend more than $150 on ANY rimfire. I could offer them a Walther GSP for $600 and they'd ask if it takes Savage magazines and if I could go $150 on it. Another part of the problem is they refuse to read about, or maintain anything, so all their rimfires get rusty and stop working after a few years.

I think we have plenty of options currently. Something for everyone. There are more to choose from now than at any other time in history, especially when you take gunbroker into consideration.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:58 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Who wouldn't want more offerings?

We already have more to choose from now than at any point in history. And that's in addition to everything that's survived. Everything ever made is laid out at your feet on gunbroker. I've been in manufacturing my entire adult life. The cost of new firearms is amazingly cheap. I don't know how any of them do it, considering how high our expectations are. And that's with modern liability insurance, employee benefits and ecological considerations. Faster, cheaper, better. Staggeringly accurate. Everything I've ever built couldn't be bought with a year's wages. Watch some firearms factory walkthrough videos if you think they're too expensive. Calculate how many man-hours that would take to build yourself.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I actually wish Winchester and Remington would get back into the mid/high priced market rather than totally leaving it. Seriously - think about a deep blue steel/walnut Winchester 22 lever action designed for mounting a scope that would shoot CZ level groups. I would buy one.

And Marlin... Same thing - move up one rung from low to medium low up to medium low to medium. For example - bring out a laminate stock/stainless sporter and heavy barrel 22.. Maybe even a bedded fiberglass stock like CZ and Savage... I mean I know they tried the 4000, 7000, and 880sq a while back - but that was before the custom 10/22 boom in the market, before CZ hit the US market and before Savage offered a fiberglass stock heavy barrel Mkii...

Last edited by truckjohn; 05-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:53 AM
hunting909

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I first started buying firearms-nearly 30 years ago- I bought bolt action marlins. I did so because they were cheap and I had no money. Still, I have very fond memories of those guns. Over the years I have gotten rid of them all for one reason or another. Many times I have thought about buying a new one. However, every time I look at one- I can't get past how cheaply they are made. If Marlin ever decides to make a higher grade/ higher quality .22 I would gladly buy one or more. I have a nicely made Marlin 39A, and would never part with it.