Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Official 597 Pic Thread

430K views 699 replies 307 participants last post by  motorcycle_dan 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright gang the boss wants a real pic thread for a sticky.:D Lets put some targets up too.

How to post pictures~ https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364702

My first 597-22. It was the first Remington semi-auto to qualify for the SuperStock 1/4" Club@25yd.
It's a plastic stock repainted w the following mods: floated barrel, polished internals, stoned trigger, recrowned, thicker recoil pad, and a mod charging handle. 6X24 Tasco mildot on top. This was shot from a homemade portable bench w a LeadSled.https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=203995&stc=1&d=1579755916
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=203997&stc=1&d=1579755916

Attachments

See less See more
#103 · (Edited)
The scope is a Leapers 3-9x50 with parallax adjustment which retails somewhere in the vicinity of $70US and the mount is actually an airgun mount which uses the 597's dovetails but also has an integral stop pin which drops down through the mount and through one of the weaver base screw holes in the receiver. The mount is also leapers - Leapers Full Length Integral High Mount: RGPM2PA-25H4

works nicely. 4 days ago I was zeroing my rifle for some new ammo I'd bought, cci standard velocity, and the best 5 shot group I shot at 50 meters (slightly further than 50 yards) was pretty much half an inch center to center. I'm pleased with how it shoots.

*edit: I was matching the subsonics you see in the top photo to the standard velocity and the subs do tend to be a little more consistent but will have to shoot a bit more standard velocity to see how things pan out.

#110 ·
Hey Guys!

Been away for a while,
I was able to take the 597 out and run it through its paces. I performed all the tweaks that were recommended throught the various post and man! let me tell ya! Well...see for your self.

The trigger has been stoned down to 2.5 lbs. no other mods. I have been through 12 different types of ammo and have (for now) settled on the Eley Target with a 12 group (5rds each) average of .743". I found it interesting that all winchester ammo was at least 2 std. off of the mark.

thanks again everyone!

#111 ·
SE Arkansas 597

Here's mine:

Painted the stock with Rust-O-leum textured paint in "Desert Bisque"

Installed front sling stud and mounted Stoney Point 9-13" bipod

Remington Weaver base on rifle.

Scope is a Wally World special -- Centerpoint 4-16x40AO scope with red/green lighted reticle. Chinese, but initial thoughts are that it's pretty decent. We'll see how it holds up. Rings came with scope -- pretty fair setup.

I got the rifle for $25, the seller thought the magazine release was broken -- it wasn't, it just needed to be reassembled in the trigger assembly.

In total, I've got about $160 in this rig. And it's a pretty fair shooter, to boot!

#112 ·
Here's mine:

Painted the stock with Rust-O-leum textured paint in "Desert Bisque"

Installed front sling stud and mounted Stoney Point 9-13" bipod

Remington Weaver base on rifle.

Scope is a Wally World special -- Centerpoint 4-16x40AO scope with red/green lighted reticle. Chinese, but initial thoughts are that it's pretty decent. We'll see how it holds up. Rings came with scope -- pretty fair setup.

I got the rifle for $25, the seller thought the magazine release was broken -- it wasn't, it just needed to be reassembled in the trigger assembly.

In total, I've got about $160 in this rig. And it's a pretty fair shooter, to boot!
I like that scope! How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking.

#115 ·
Here's mine:

It's totally stock, but it needs a VQ hammer and a better scope. The one I've got on it now works great for a free scope (buddy had it bangin around in his toolbox on his truck for a couple weeks haha), but I need one with an adjustable objective that actually holds zero.

#120 ·
Finally got around to a couple of pix:

I really need to get the rest of the parts on the 597, i.e., the new extractor and get the bolt rails adjusted per the specs here on the forum. Then I can try the new magazines.
Anyway, the 597 & 10/22 together, and a couple of other pix:

The other end of the spectrum --- Remington 7400 Carbine/ .30-06 with Bell&Carlson stock; stock pouch and Harris bipod adapter. This one is getting the sights re-installed; the Harris bipod added; and a new EGW Picatinny mount & Warne Maxima rings put on. Kept clean, it is 2" or less accurate at 100-yds. and never had a malfunction!

#121 ·
Can't really tell what kind of finish that is on the barrel of your 597, looks blued instead of "parkerized". Anyway, did the MB Products/Eagle Muzzle Brake fit properly? (mine required much beating and eventually heating to get it on the barrel, after I removed the finish under it)

Nice collection.