Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM
**DRB**

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked up my New ( used ) CM-2, a few questions

Ok, So I picked up my RAA CM-2 and took it to the range. !st off its way more accurate than I am! Yea!! just what I wanted!

I have never owned or shot a target rifle before, and I have a few questions.

First off, all the extra sight "pieces" what are they for? different dia. holes for the rear sight different width ( ??? ) posts for the front, what do I do with all the crap?

How the heck do I setup the sling that came with the gun ( cheap piece of crap, but its all I have for now )

I have the sights setup for 50 yards, but what distance do people normally set this type of gun up for? What type of target should I be shooting at (size/distance )

where the gun is more accurate than I am at 50 yds, um.... how the hell do I aim this thing consistently? ( I cant see a 1/2 red dot at 50yds to aim at very well, is there something wrong with me? )

any and all help will be appreciated.

drb

edit Is it ok to dry fire?

Last edited by **DRB**; 05-22-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:11 PM
MICROGUNNER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I scoped mine and shoot it at 50 yards exclusivly. It's sooooo accurate.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
rodaz
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile

The extra "junk" are front sight inserts used to create a comfortable sight picture when shooting at bulls eye targets. Depending on your distance, target type and eyes you should be able to find an insert that will give you a sharp image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
The extra rear iris assortment is to allow the shooter to switch according to light conditions. In general a 1.1 is the standard and I believe the smallest of them is a 1.1. If it is bright and sunny, use that one. If you are in a match and the weather is bad and heavy clouds, you need a larger rear aperture to let in more light. Personally, I have only shot in one match where the skies got so dark that I needed a larger front and rear aperture and NOBODY who is pleasure shooting would have continued to shoot that day. We were soaked to the bone. It's unlikely you will ever need to use those larger irises.
The rifle and the sights are intended for small bore competition using the A23-5 @50 yds, the A50 @ 50 meters(only in metric or international matches), A26 @50 meters in NRA conventional matches and the A25 @ 100 yds and the A33 for 100 meters in metric events.
The sight picture should be a series of PERFECT concentric circles. You want to look through the rear aperture and see the front globe perfectly centered with an equal amount of light around the globe with the bull PERFECTLY centered in the front sight insert with equal white all around the bull.
I dryfire mine by using spent cases. Save some of your brass. It is a bit of a pain to load spent brass so I will generally dryfire 5 shots on one case which means that I lift the bolt and then push it back down which is enough to cock the bolt but I don't eject the case.

Last edited by Charlotte; 05-23-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
BTW, I'm using my Anschutz rear sight on my CM-2 so that I can use my adjustable rear iris and I usually have it down to somewhere between .8 and
The front sight insert selection is inadequate and I suggest you get some plastic inserts. If you do this you are going to need to put some black tape over the slot on top of the globe to prevent light from getting to the edge of the plastic insert. I've used 3.0, 3.2, currently using 3.4 and this afternoon considered trying a 3.6 on my next trip to the range.
I've been "Squintin' Tarantino" long enough and have learned the importance of using an occluder over my non aiming eye and keeping both eyes open. The sight picture is really improved but when shooting this afternoon I wanted more white around the bull. You just have to shoot with each size to determine what works best for you. Some of the best olympic shooters want just a sliver of white aound the bull, and some others like lots of white. I think it depends on YOUR eyes what you will shoot best with.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a good read on using peep sights.
http://12.150.207.95/Chapter_Three.htm
That helped me out allot.

Swiss
Old 05-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Thanks for that, Swiss! I enjoyed reading all four chapters on his site and I'm going to order the book.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No problem "O"
Really thank ....AzizaVFR ....he turned me on to that good Hit last
summer when I was so...so...confused with my BB & peep sights.
Hey... I have my BB set up for Iron sights again.

Swiss
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
**DRB***
The sling that comes with the CM-2 Cadet is actually pretty nice.
Its nice & wide.

Last edited by midwest swiss; 05-24-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
How do the Dynapoints shoot in the CM-2?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My two Izhmash built rifles shoot Dynapoints very well when the temp. is cool out.
All targets shot with Iron sights off a bench rest...I wish I could do that prone....Someday.

I am very reluctant too shoot my hi-dollar ammo being a rookie with iron sights.
The Vel. of Win. Dyno's are very close to super sonic -sub-sonic...so some times
you will get a few super sonic cracks Dependant on the temp.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 05-24-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
The rising cost of ammunition is making me want to find a cheaper practice ammo. I've been using SK Std Plus for practice and SK Match for competition but with the switch to Eley I need a cheaper practice ammo. I have a few boxes of Dynapoint and Expert that I'm going to see if I can get some benefit from as a practice ammo.
Shooting prone is a very demanding discipline and the best thing you can do is just spend the time in position shooting. The very best prone shooters are very detail oriented and I'm not so much.
Nice targets Swiss!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
**DRB**

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest swiss View Post
**DRB***
The sling that comes with the CM-2 Cadet is actually pretty nice.
Its nice & wide.
Your stock is nicer finish than mine......

Does anyone have a reference point on how to use this style sling? I'm familiar with using a "hasty" sling in a military style setup, but I've not found any info yet on using this style.

drb
Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM
HotIce

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, his is new as in really new, not "used new"
Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 PM
45-70

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Using apature sights

I don't think any body answered the red bull. question. With target apature sight you shoot at black bulls not red, this will make some of the other answers make sense. Alan