Need .17hmr or .22mag barrel for 64 action - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Need .17hmr or .22mag barrel for 64 action

So I purchased a 1517D HB G yesterday, but without a barrel. This model is the 14" model that is sold in Europe.

A company in Florida imported a few of them and pulled the 14" barrels. They already destroyed the barrels because they thought they were illegal. They are only illegal if they are attached to a rifle. I could have just added a 2" or longer un-rifled extension (kind of like a permanent bloop tube) to the barrel and made it legal. Think of a moderator but without baffles and a .22 caliber bore without rifling and an outside diameter the same as the barrel. It would have been almost undetectable to the naked eye and completely legal (as long as it was permanent). The barrels were threaded for a moderator already so it would be easy to thread on a solid extension and braze it in place permanently making it 16" or longer, but that is neither here nor there at this point. I also could have applied for a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) license and kept the short 14" barrel. Oh well... too late now.

I have a call into Merkel and am waiting for a call back from them. Champions Choice doesn't sell barrels by themselves, only barreled actions. Hopefully Merkel can help me out with a barrel. (any guesses on what that will cost?)

I need a barrel and my options are as follows.

1) Buy a factory new Anschutz barrel and have it pressed in and be done. (this is the option I am hoping for... and most likely the least expensive)

2) Some how find a used "take-off" Anschutz model 64 17hmr barrel. This seems pretty unlikely.

3) Buy an aftermarket .17 caliber barrel from one of the many barrel makers and have it chambered and fitted by a gunsmith. Even going this route I should come in well under the price of a factory 1517 when all is said and done.

Anyone out there have a .17hmr barrel for an Anschutz model 64??

I wasn't really wanting a .17hmr. They had them listed as 1417 (.22), but called me afterward to let me know of the mistake. I figured the price was still too good to pass up. I am a sucker for a good price, and a fun project.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Hornet 6

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to Hornet 6 Send a message via Skype™ to Hornet 6
Cant help you with a barrel, but I have the 14 inch one now.
It has to be my most accurate rifle by far
Good luck with your search.

Neil.

With over barrel moderator.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice one there Neil! What does that sound like? Is it about as loud as a .22lr?

Looks like fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Hornet 6

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to Hornet 6 Send a message via Skype™ to Hornet 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
Nice one there Neil! What does that sound like? Is it about as loud as a .22lr?

Looks like fun!
Thats a hard one, the muzzle report/blast is little louder than a moderated .22lr on subs, but the super sonic crack is still full size.
I have just changed to a different moderator, much smaller, just as quiet, but a deeper more muffled note.

Neil.

New LEI (law enforcement international) .17 moderator, and old Wildcat Whisper .22 mod.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Anyone know of another source for factory Anschutz barrels other than Merkel? They said that they can't can't help me with it. They don't sell barrels.

Do any of the aftermarket companies make a "drop in" Annie barrel? I have a gunsmith that can cut and chamber a barrel for me, but I'd rather buy one ready to go.

This thing may end up with a Shilen before it is all said and done. Or could go cheap and get a Green Mountain blank.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
**DRB**

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
So I purchased a 1517D HB G yesterday, but without a barrel. This model is the 14" model that is sold in Europe.

A company in Florida imported a few of them and pulled the 14" barrels. They already destroyed the barrels because they thought they were illegal. They are only illegal if they are attached to a rifle. I could have just added a 2" or longer un-rifled extension (kind of like a permanent bloop tube) to the barrel and made it legal. Think of a moderator but without baffles and a .22 caliber bore without rifling and an outside diameter the same as the barrel. It would have been almost undetectable to the naked eye and completely legal (as long as it was permanent). The barrels were threaded for a moderator already so it would be easy to thread on a solid extension and braze it in place permanently making it 16" or longer, but that is neither here nor there at this point. I also could have applied for a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) license and kept the short 14" barrel. Oh well... too late now.
Sorry, I just read this... How the heck does a company that IMPORTS FIREARMS not know the LAW????? thats crazy!

There 1. is nothing illegal about a 14" barrel on a rifle, it would have to just have the ATF paperwork filled out ( form 4 I believe ) and the tax stamp paid and it would be fine (state laws permitting )

And 2. As you stated, and 2" fixed "extention" "flash hider" " muzzle brake would comply with all ather laws if a SBR is not allowed in the area of sale...

I realize I'm not staing anything you havent said, its just SO stupid on their part...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by **DRB** View Post
Sorry, I just read this... How the heck does a company that IMPORTS FIREARMS not know the LAW????? thats crazy!

There 1. is nothing illegal about a 14" barrel on a rifle, it would have to just have the ATF paperwork filled out ( form 4 I believe ) and the tax stamp paid and it would be fine (state laws permitting )

And 2. As you stated, and 2" fixed "extention" "flash hider" " muzzle brake would comply with all ather laws if a SBR is not allowed in the area of sale...

I realize I'm not staing anything you havent said, its just SO stupid on their part...
Absolutely. The thing that is funny is that the business that did this specializes in tactical weapons. If anyone should know this it should be them. I don't know, that whole part of the situation seemed weird. Maybe they just didn't want someone getting a 1517 for 300+ bucks.

In one email the guy confirmed to me that the barrels were for sale "on another site", and totally agreed with me that I should be able to extend one and be perfectly legal. Then when I called because I couldn't find them on Gun Broker anymore... they were destroyed.

Frustrating, but I think I have it figured out and will end up with a nice Anschutz with a factory HM2 barrel rechambered to HMR.

I wonder what two guys bought the other two. Were they from RFC?? I know that one of the first buyers backed out when they found out it was HMR and not a .22lr. When they put that one back up for sale it sold quick.

Last edited by Trent; 05-18-2010 at 10:51 PM.