10/22 trigger..... New parts, new trigger group, or trigger job? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 AM
**DRB**

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 trigger..... New parts, new trigger group, or trigger job?

Ok, I'm new to the 10/22 thing.... I'm currently build a LTR for the upcoming Appleseed shoots, so I'm definatly NOT building a pretty bench gun (. Not that's there's anything wrong with that ). My current setup is a carbine model 10/22 std barrel, Hogue stock, tech sights, bolt auto release.

So, the last thing I would like to do is a bit of trigger work, to get rid of that terrible " plastic toy, cap gun " feel.... I'm not looking to throw tons of money into this (. As I have other guns for that! ) so, trigger parts? It seems trigger, hammer, sear is about $100. New trigger group? Probably more tha. I want to spend $150 - $200. Is it really that much better? Or trigger job? I've been quoted around $100 for a trigger job including a new full with trigger.......

drb
Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
nemohunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
the quote for the trigger work is very fair considering what parts cost. that will probly net you the best trigger for the $$$$. that of course depends on what and who is doing the work. the VQ hammer is a great bang for the buck too. you can do that first and save for the trigger work later. that will get your rifle shootable. after the work is done you can sell the hammer and get some of your $ back.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Merph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by **DRB** View Post
Ok, I'm new to the 10/22 thing.... I'm currently build a LTR for the upcoming Appleseed shoots, so I'm definatly NOT building a pretty bench gun (. Not that's there's anything wrong with that ). My current setup is a carbine model 10/22 std barrel, Hogue stock, tech sights, bolt auto release.

So, the last thing I would like to do is a bit of trigger work, to get rid of that terrible " plastic toy, cap gun " feel.... I'm not looking to throw tons of money into this (. As I have other guns for that! ) so, trigger parts? It seems trigger, hammer, sear is about $100. New trigger group? Probably more tha. I want to spend $150 - $200. Is it really that much better? Or trigger job? I've been quoted around $100 for a trigger job including a new full with trigger.......

drb
Get the Kidd. There is no better. You will not have to second guess your self. I got mine last March, best thing I ever did.
Merph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
If I were looking for a good trigger, didn't want to buy an aftermarket built trigger or do the work myself there'd be only one choice........ SwampFox.

PM him and see what he'll do for you.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM
OutaAmmo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:

drb
You will need a GI sling and an extended magazine release is a plus if your rifle doesn't have one. I would try and have at least 3 magazines and 4 better. Be sure to sight it in at 25 meters (83 Ft) before you go the Appleseed event. Take some old carpet or a tarp and and an old sleeping bag to lay on. Practice getting in the prone and sitting postions everyday for a couple of weeks before you go. If you don't you will know why! Take some Advil with you for the sore musclesl you will have if you don't work out at the gym everyday. A pair of binoculars worked good for me. Bring water, sun screen sun glasses and dress for the weather. Have Fun.

Appleseed Rifleman 2010
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Dave1899
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I put a Clark Custom Deluxe trigger kit in my "Plastic" trigger housing for $65 and it made a world of difference. Clark is one of our sponsors. This is from their web site:
Clark Drop-in 10/22 Hammer/Trigger Kits
Drop-In parts greatly reduce trigger pull and eliminate creep. Trigger has built in over travel adjustment. The Standard Kit (743) includes match hammer and trigger. Pull weight 3.0 to 3.5 lbs. The Deluxe Kit (743D, shown) includes hammer, trigger, sear, and disconnector. 22 LR Trigger pull approximately 2.75 to 3.0 lbs, Magnum pull weight approximately 3-3.25 lbs.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1022parts.htm#743
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Spanky
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plus 1 on the KIDD!!! I really lucked out and got a used one in like new condition here for $150!!! Hows that for a Christmas present?!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Deadeye480
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Trigger Job

Just spent $32 for a Volquartsen Target hammer for my older 10/22. Brought the trigger pull from 7# to 1#9oz, couldn't be happier. YMMV.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Capt Gary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just bought a new 10/22. Ordered the Clark Custom OEM trigger trigger group with Clark's trigger parts and trigger installed. It also has their magazine release. I am very happy with the product and the results.
Good people to deal with.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
that clark isn't worth the 65$ there is no sear adjustment how can they claim that it removes creep? it will reduce your pull weight. but you will be better off in the long run with a quality service! the quote you got for 100 minus the 30 for the RT trigger is very reasonable (assuming that the actual work is quality).

Last edited by MorlyKrupt; 03-14-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Morly, the set screw in the sear removes trigger pre-travel. The set screw does nothing for the creep.

Work at the hammer/sear engagement is where you can remove creep.

You knew that. I seen too many post from you explaining trigger work to know that you know.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
Morly, the set screw in the sear removes trigger pre-travel. The set screw does nothing for the creep.

Work at the hammer/sear engagement is where you can remove creep.

You knew that. I seen too many post from you explaining trigger work to know that you know.
LOL the fact that they charge 65$ to change the angle on the hammer and drill a hole in the trigger for overtravel stop makes me so that I cant think straight. That kit was the first upgrade I purchased for my first 10/22. Maybe I should thank them because if it werent for that I never would have been determened to learn how the innards of a 10/22 trigger works .
Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM
**DRB**

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorlyKrupt View Post
that clark isn't worth the 65$ there is no sear adjustment how can they claim that it removes creep? it will reduce your pull weight. but you will be better off in the long run with a quality service! the quote you got for 100 minus the 30 for the RT trigger is very reasonable (assuming that the actual work is quality).
Interesting. I actually thought there would be more people saying that a trigger job would be the way to go..... I'm currently leaning in the direction of getting an actuall trigger job done. The Kidd trigger looks great, but their in NO WAY I'm spending $300 on a trigger group for a 10/22! ( wow! ) I dont even think I could bring myself to spend the $170 on the TG2000.

You mention "assuming that the actual work is quality" Who do people use on this forum? I've recieved to quotes, both local to me. But one of them I found on ebay ( ?? little unsure about that )
Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
passport

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
If you want to spend 100 to 150, run dont walk, straight to SwampFOX and get one of his ready to go triggers, cant beat em for the dough!!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Interesting. I actually thought there would be more people saying that a trigger job would be the way to go..... I'm currently leaning in the direction of getting an actuall trigger job done. The Kidd trigger looks great, but their in NO WAY I'm spending $300 on a trigger group for a 10/22! ( wow! ) I dont even think I could bring myself to spend the $170 on the TG2000.

You mention "assuming that the actual work is quality" Who do people use on this forum? I've recieved to quotes, both local to me. But one of them I found on ebay ( ?? little unsure about that )
start with sponsors of Rimfirecentral.

if the guy is local then ask if you can test one first? there should be No take-up No creep, just a snap and the hammer drops then the trigger stops. almost to the point where you cant even feel the trigger move.

they can tune a factory group nicer then the tg2000 out of the box.

Last edited by MorlyKrupt; 03-15-2010 at 04:19 PM.