Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What is your favorite match distance?

492 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  burnt09 
#1 ·
I just want to know what your favorite distance for general pistol (not bullseye or silhouette pistols) matches is:

50 feet?
25 yards?
50 yards?
Other?

...and then when you choose, what do you expect the average 10 shot group to measure in terms of group diameter?

#3 ·
I just want to know what your favorite distance for general pistol (not bullseye or silhouette pistols) matches is:

50 feet?
25 yards?
50 yards?
Other?

...and then when you choose, what do you expect the average 10 shot group to measure in terms of group diameter?
I prefer 50 feet from standing, otherwise my "groups" aren't grouped at all, but look like shotgun patterns. :D

Pistol marksmanship is really tough. At 25 yards, the bullseye needs to be about 4" for me to hit it consistantly if I'm shooting offhand.

#4 · (Edited)
Distance

When I lived in Montana the club I belonged to had a gong at 150 yards for the rifle shooters. I must confess, I enjoyed nothing more than ringing that steel with my .22 handgun. I played a bit at 200 yards, but that was with a centerfire. I'm not sure my eyes can see the iron sights that well now.

50 ft seems annoying to me. I'm looking at a B-3 tmied fire target. The X-ring is just a smidge smaller than a quarter if you are not familiar. I shot this target in a winter league. There are 6 of the ten shots in the X ring. This was with a red dot and shot with a one hand hold. If Ican learn it, anyone can. All you need to do is take the challenge that Joe Haller has laid out and work at it. I encourage you to try it.

#5 · (Edited)
I am not sure what you mean by "general pistol (not bullseye or silhouette pistols) matches."

I generally shoot at paper targets, and I prefer outdoors at 25 yards. All the local 50' indoor ranges seem to have poor lighting, and these eyes need good lighting!

I believe that Assad Mayoob recommends using best 4 of 5 or even best 3 of 5 shot groups for accuracy testing from a sandbag rest. I personally use best 8 of 10 shots.

With my Ruger Std. Auto. pistol, (using the factory irons sights, from a sandbag rest), I am happy with best 8 of 10 shot groups of 1.5" or less, and ecstatic with a 1" group, which I achieved with PMC Moderators, (although they won't reliably cycle my pistol's action).

Standing, using a one handed hold, I am fairly happy if I keep all ten shots in the black on a B-16 target, (approx 5.3"). When the stars are properly aligned, I can shoot a little better say, 10 shots into about 4".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.