Old 09-15-2020, 08:03 PM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
Ted, it looks great! That blued bolt sure goes along very nicely with the other blued parts of the pistol, like they were made to go together! I should probably follow your lead and get myself one of those blued MK IV bolts also to run in my Scorpion clone...I think it'd look nice!
DB,

Yep, bet it would Look Great with that VQ upper!

More importantly, it looks like the SS bolt you have in the receiver is a tapered-ear 2-Piece bolt, just like my MkII 6" had! Decided not to send the bolt off (yet) to have it staked at SGW, but to store it away for safe keeping (future sale or inheritance to sons). Figured I'd use the blued MkIV bolt (shown in pic) as a shooting replacement!!

Ted
Old 09-16-2020, 11:47 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
DB,

Yep, bet it would Look Great with that VQ upper!

More importantly, it looks like the SS bolt you have in the receiver is a tapered-ear 2-Piece bolt, just like my MkII 6" had! Decided not to send the bolt off (yet) to have it staked at SGW, but to store it away for safe keeping (future sale or inheritance to sons). Figured I'd use the blued MkIV bolt (shown in pic) as a shooting replacement!!

Ted
Thanks Ted, I always appreciate your commentary! And yes, it's a tapered 2-piece bolt, but I have no intentions of using it for very long or sending it out; I don't see eye-to-eye with Dennis @SGW and I'm fully capable of performing the simple "drill and blind pin preventive measure" procedure myself.

I recently perused the usual avenues for these inexpensive MK IV bolts and it appears that I've missed the boat because I couldn't find any that were "inexpensive", especially the "all black" bolts, so I guess I'll either just buy once/cry once or keep my eyes peeled and hopefully some will resurface. Thanks again for the idea

Stay well
Old 09-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Heinleiner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine showed today. I like the contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200917_124238_1600364924128.jpg (556.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-20-2020, 06:22 AM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks SM! I've taken my SS MKIV Hunter, SS MkII KMK678 and this SS MkII RST6, and did Some (not much) TLC on the SS uppers and lowers with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. Then, finished off with Renaissance Wax! All of my Blued Standards and MkIs just get the Ren. Wax treatment. All shine and are well protected from finger prints, water, dirt and RF grit!!

Ted
That extra effort really shows. I might have to try the Renaissance wax on my blued stuff. Your Mark looks so good that now I feel like mine is just a turd of black blued stocker!
Old 09-20-2020, 08:08 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
That extra effort really shows. I might have to try the Renaissance wax on my blued stuff. Your Mark looks so good that now I feel like mine is just a turd of black blued stocker!
My blued Standard finishes all were good, but the Renaissance wax really brought out a "depth of shine" that I didn't think possible (L to R-1976 Bicentennial-1953 Black Eagle-1950 Red Eagle)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Standards 1976-1953-1950-1.jpg (305.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Standards 1976-1953-1950-2.jpg (290.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:10 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
My blued Standard finishes all were good, but the Renaissance wax really brought out a "depth of shine" that I didn't think possible (L to R-1976 Bicentennial-1953 Black Eagle-1950 Red Eagle)!

Nice use of the Ranch Products magazine catch and the replacement magazine on the A100.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:20 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Wow Ted, those are some find looking blued Mark II's!

I've had my eyes peeled but I haven't yet been able to find any blued Mark II examples in as good a shape as yours locally...every single one I've ever seen were suffering from either poor storage or some other form of neglect

And this is why I like stainless steel firearms so much...their surfaces can readily be restored to like new using some forethought, patience, consistancy, and lastly the correct abrasives and glassbead media. Below is a very neglected S&W 5906 that I scored off of Gunbroker for $300 to restore, which is something that is not real easy to perform with any success on a blued firearm in your garage/workshop...some before/after pics:

It was well worth the effort...that, and it keeps me off the streets
Old 09-20-2020, 10:28 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Nice use of the Ranch Products magazine catch and the replacement magazine on the A100.
Thanks for noticing, EM!

When cleaning up the 53' Black Eagle (an A54), had issues refitting the mag release pin...messed it up pretty bad. When I went to install a pin replacement, decided to also add a Ranch MR (post pics)...sure makes it nice to be able to easily insert/eject a MkII 10-round mag!!

Ted
Old 09-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
Wow Ted, those are some find looking blued Mark II's!

I've had my eyes peeled but I haven't yet been able to find any blued Mark II examples in as good a shape as yours locally...every single one I've ever seen were suffering from either poor storage or some other form of neglect

And this is why I like stainless steel firearms so much...their surfaces can readily be restored to like new using some forethought, patience, consistancy, and lastly the correct abrasives and glassbead media. Below is a very neglected S&W 5906 that I scored off of Gunbroker for $300 to restore, which is something that is not real easy to perform with any success on a blued firearm in your garage/workshop...some before/after pics:

It was well worth the effort...that, and it keeps me off the streets
Andy,

Thanks for your kind comments! I've been searching for a 53' birth-year Standard for over a year (GB, GA, GI) and as you stated, too many come up with major care issues. Finally found one (GB) that needed just a little TLC for under 2 Franklins, so seems the wait was worth it! The 76' and 50' were opportunistic buys...wasn't looking for them but when they appeared, couldn't pass them up!

My 3 MkII's and 1 MkIV are stainless, all for the same reasons you mentioned...ease of care and maintenance! You did gorgeous work on the S&W...looks New to me (Great Pics)!

Take Care,

Ted
Old 09-21-2020, 03:24 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I like the look

Signalman