Mk 3 fore-end support removal - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:08 AM
Dogwind

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk 3 fore-end support removal

Apologies if this has been covered in any previous posts.

The fore-end support , or barrel hanger, on my Mk3 is very slightly twisted, not an uncommon problem from what I understand.

I am considering removing it with a view to fixing, but before I crack on a couple of question to the great collective. Unable to find reference to such.

Am I correct in that the hanger is only held in by the front barrel screw?
When screw(s) removed is the hanger a tight fit or should it come out fairly easily?
When replacing the screw(s) are there any torquing specifications?
Any other gems of information that may help in the removal/refitting process.
Has anyone fitted an Ďalternativeí barrel hanger is so any details please.

Many thanks and stay safe.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:12 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Generally they don't get twisted unless some very unusual force is applied. I have removed and re-installed several.

You are correct that the hanger is held by only the front bolt on the receiver. It is always best not to remove the barrel unless some unusual work or a barrel replacement is in hand.
There is a cut groove on the hanger that coincides with the bolt alignment. That is why I consider it a rarity that the hanger is out of alignment. When puting the hanger back in, the groove must be perfect before the bolt goes back in or it will not engage the threads on the opposite side.

It would be a shame if your predecessor owner got frustrated and ran a drill bit through the hanger to "take care of the problem". The extra slop could mean that the entire fore-end could take a bit of a twist and be off a bit.

Removing the front bolt and drifting out the hanger will identify the problem. Just use some penetrating fluid on the hanger and go from the lower inside with a brass drift.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:30 AM
Dogwind

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire10ring View Post
Generally they don't get twisted unless some very unusual force is applied. I have removed and re-installed several.

You are correct that the hanger is held by only the front bolt on the receiver. It is always best not to remove the barrel unless some unusual work or a barrel replacement is in hand.
There is a cut groove on the hanger that coincides with the bolt alignment. That is why I consider it a rarity that the hanger is out of alignment. When puting the hanger back in, the groove must be perfect before the bolt goes back in or it will not engage the threads on the opposite side.

It would be a shame if your predecessor owner got frustrated and ran a drill bit through the hanger to "take care of the problem". The extra slop could mean that the entire fore-end could take a bit of a twist and be off a bit.

Removing the front bolt and drifting out the hanger will identify the problem. Just use some penetrating fluid on the hanger and go from the lower inside with a brass drift.
Many thanks rapidfire10ring much appreciated.

I donít know what has previously happened with my hanger whether actually twisted/bent or misaligned somehow. I didnít notice this until I came to fit a scope as I am intending to use the rifle for bench rest. When the base of the hanger is sitting horizontally the action is not horizontal/vertical and vice versa. This is seen as the barrel does not sit centrally and square in the barrel channel when the hand guards are fitted.
When I remove the hanger I will be able to get a better idea of the issue.

Many thanks again.
Stay safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 03:14 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwind View Post
Many thanks rapidfire10ring much appreciated.

I donít know what has previously happened with my hanger whether actually twisted/bent or misaligned somehow. I didnít notice this until I came to fit a scope as I am intending to use the rifle for bench rest. When the base of the hanger is sitting horizontally the action is not horizontal/vertical and vice versa. This is seen as the barrel does not sit centrally and square in the barrel channel when the hand guards are fitted.
When I remove the hanger I will be able to get a better idea of the issue.

Many thanks again.
Stay safe.
First remove the wood panels and see if the rifle sits straight. Some differences in the wood panels could also affect your perception.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:45 AM
Dogwind

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
First remove the wood panels and see if the rifle sits straight. Some differences in the wood panels could also affect your perception.
Unfortunately the same problem without the wood panels, definitely the relationship between the body and the hanger.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:09 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwind View Post
Unfortunately the same problem without the wood panels, definitely the relationship between the body and the hanger.
There is a slight possibility that BSA screwed up the alignment at the factory. By removing it and/or comparing it with another hanger you may be able to determine that. OR, just remove the front bolt, remove the wood panels and with a good sized wrench, tweak it back in correct orientation.....then tighten down the front bolt.

Go ahead and remove it if you must but I was thinking of the 'easy fixes', first. BTW, do be certain to use a penetrating fluid and give it a while before removing. A few taps with a wood block may speed up the process.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:01 AM
Dogwind

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
There is a slight possibility that BSA screwed up the alignment at the factory. By removing it and/or comparing it with another hanger you may be able to determine that. OR, just remove the front bolt, remove the wood panels and with a good sized wrench, tweak it back in correct orientation.....then tighten down the front bolt.

Go ahead and remove it if you must but I was thinking of the 'easy fixes', first. BTW, do be certain to use a penetrating fluid and give it a while before removing. A few taps with a wood block may speed up the process.