Anyone else having QC problems with 22 ammo ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:24 PM
sigshr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone else having QC problems with 22 ammo ?

I have been shooting only 22RF for the last 5 (!) years, my misfire rate has gone up steadily. Here in Central NJ/Eastern Pa the only 22RF ammo available is CCI, Federal and Aquila, the other day firing my 1960 vintage Winchester M77 in the first 5 rounds of Aquila I got 1 misfire, after that it felt like every 3rd round. I shoot older guns, semiautos lately, so I figured tired springs, then at the range yesterday the shooter in the lane next to was getting misfires firing Federals in his new Ruger 10/22 Target. So I am not the only one.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:39 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ayup... although some folks said no way Jose.
It's not y'er ammo, it's y'er rifle, rimfire never fails to fire.

Actually, been quite a few problems with qc on most of the rimfire made on this side of the pond.
To be expected when demand exceeds production and there's money to be made.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know if it relates, as we shoot 22LR not 22RF, but have never had a FTF in our two 10/22s. We only bought our first in August, and a second in November, so everything I've purchased has been relatively "new". Have probably shot around 2000rds now. Only occasional feed issues due to the rifle. Winchester SuperX, Blazer, CCI Blazer, MiniMag Target and Standard Velocity, and SK Rifle Match.

Perhaps the RF cartridge is made to a lower standard due to low demand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No problems on my end..Most of my stash is pretty old though..I have shot alot of CCI Blazers of recent production..Made in the last year or so..All go bang reliably..

But I do not have any Rugers or Winchesters either though
Old 02-22-2021, 09:08 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigshr View Post
I have been shooting only 22RF for the last 5 (!) years, my misfire rate has gone up steadily. Here in Central NJ/Eastern Pa the only 22RF ammo available is CCI, Federal and Aquila, the other day firing my 1960 vintage Winchester M77 in the first 5 rounds of Aquila I got 1 misfire, after that it felt like every 3rd round. I shoot older guns, semiautos lately, so I figured tired springs, ...
How does the brass look on the rounds that didn't light? Will they fire if you re-orient them before trying again?

If your bolt is closing fully and you aren't getting light strikes, it could be the cartridge. Very rarely, I do get a true dud, a round that I turn three or four times trying to get it to fire, but I get nothing. That may happen once or twice in 500 for RGB, but is more like once or twice a case for Aquila and CCI for me.

If you are having this problem frequently with many different types of cartridge, it's reasonable to suspect the rifle.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:22 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just recently I had a case head separation while shooting my 10/22. Was M22 Winchester Ammo.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've had no problems ...semi auto , bolt action ,lever action , revolver.. rifle & handgun . CCI Stnd Velo ,Mini mags , Eley Force & Contact, SK Stnd Plus , Norma Tac , Lapua Center X . No problems with any of it.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:51 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Ayup... although some folks said no way Jose.
It's not y'er ammo, it's y'er rifle, rimfire never fails to fire.

Actually, been quite a few problems with qc on most of the rimfire made on this side of the pond.
To be expected when demand exceeds production and there's money to be made.
OMG, the crappy ammo has gotten crappier

Are we gonna have to shoot 100 at 100 yards now?

Did you just buy it? Is it freshly made? Was it stored improperly? Was it cold?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:07 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like to buy whatever ammo people say is crappy and has a lot of duds, just to see if I can have a failure. So far - nope. I'm currently about 1000 rounds into a case of Federal Automatch that wasn't stored very well by a previous owner, and it keeps on firing too.

However, my guns are tuned to completely crush the priming pocket.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:43 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's hard to say. I'm using older ammo but I can say there are many factors that can contribute. A target 10/22 will not run as reliably as a sporter chamber. Your gun may need cleaning. It's really hard to say why your noticing more misfires unless you keep religious records for the same gun and different batches of the same type of ammo. Then maybe you can make a conclusion. Right now you just feel like your misfire rate is going up.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:28 AM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I like to buy whatever ammo people say is crappy and has a lot of duds, just to see if I can have a failure. So far - nope. I'm currently about 1000 rounds into a case of Federal Automatch that wasn't stored very well by a previous owner, and it keeps on firing too.

I believe tuning the shape of the firing pin profile is one of the best things you can do to eliminate miss fires and help improve accuracy even with some lower grade ammo.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:43 PM
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Test Engineer, What action are you using?
Old 02-23-2021, 06:16 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:

Now that's a solid strike ...if one of those rounds don't ignite I would say it's surly an ammo problem .
Old 02-23-2021, 07:19 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I too have been having misfires with a variety of .22 ammo out of my Black Mamba, Mark IV 22/45 Lite and Mark III Hunter so I'm guessing it's ammo related.

I did find that I need to use a bore brush and really clean the bore. If it gets too dirty I think the cases aren't going fully into battery causing squibs that escape the barrel but barely hit the target.

At Sunday's Steel Challenge Match I started having this problem and immediately requested a change to my backup gun. I had a few failures out of #2 but everything ran perfectly from stage 3 on.

I just ordered a couple of the Tandemkross Titanium Firing Pins to see if that helps at all.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Thatís a solid hit. Any info on your awesome pin tuning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk