Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:46 PM
ShooterReady

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post

BTW, if you were to put a first-class barrel & trigger on a B14 I really think you'd see an improvement, maybe a big one. Sadly, there'd also be a rather large increase in your investment.
For sure you would, but at that point you basically just bought the B14R for the receiver, and build a completely custom gun...for the same price as a Vudoo.

I replaced the trigger on my B14R and saw a massive difference...it was basically an entirely different rifle.

From reading KOD's posts, he didn't see much of an improvement at first, took some tweaking with head space shims to get it dialed in.

Personally, I don't think it was worth the investment for the returns...but it's his money and time.

I'd rather have just bought a Vudoo...
Old 02-22-2021, 09:04 AM
MarkS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my B14R and all it needed was a trigger. I replaced it with a Trigger Tech Diamond. This is one of the best set up I have in a rimfire. It will shoot sub Moa out to 200 yds. When shooting long range it is all about the ammo, and reading the wind, not so much the gun. I shot a long range steel match last year, with 3 Vudoo's in the match, I came in first and second with two guns ( stock Tikka T1X and a Kidd Supergrade ) My guns will not hold me back in a match, I will.

IMO the B14R is just a slight step down from the custom"s

I would not buy a B14R and try to make it into a Vudoo. Vudoo is a custom action, you can't make factory action into a custom action. I have built centerfire with Remington action and they have shot very well. I have 2 centerfire actions ( BAT and Stiller Diamondback.) no factory action can touch a custom action.

If you are trying to build a Vudoo, just buy a Vudoo or one of the other custom action.

Mark
Old 02-22-2021, 07:58 PM
Ocedummy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let me clear something up

Iíll rephrase, you can replace the barrel, even get a drop in, on CZís and 10-22ís that do increase accuracy. Why not on a Bergara, not making a Vudoo clone , just a more accurate rifle. My CZ 457 shoots real good, Iím guessing that a my 457 with a Bartlein or Lila would shoot better than my Bergara. I am not competing in NRL22, just make them better. At one time I wanted a Vudoo , but the 12 week wait was no good for me, I think itís like 16 weeks now. Being 78 years old, I may not have 16 weeks. Remember, itís the journey, not the destination , but we still want a gun that shoots better than our buddies!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:28 AM
MarkS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Bergara should shoot better with a custom barrel. See https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-back.7038080/ But it may take as long to get a barrel installed as a Vudoo

Mark

Last edited by MarkS; 02-23-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:23 AM
Robison

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't understand on the Penrod B14R why there is an adapter unless it's just because the barrel blank he wanted to use wasn't big enough diameter to direct thread into the receiver.

I have thought about replacing the barrel on my B14R also with a custom barrel, I think the receiver threads are just metric, I am not positive on that. I know the center fire B14s are 1.062x16 TPI just like Remington 700s.

I have decided that the rifle I have just needs to be shot, a replacement barrel wouldn't be easy and I would do it myself saving most of the cost except the blank and reamer I chose. I'll just wait until if/when I have shot out the barrel. Lol

Part of me had a unrealistic expectation for 22 accuracy after playing with centerfires and the other part of me realized that the type of shooting I want to do doesn't need benchrest accuracy. I will miss more on a bad wind call or wrong dope adjustment than I could blame on the rifles accuracy.

Unless someone starts making prefits like the CZs and 10/22s have I don't think it's worth it.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocedummy View Post
The B14R has the same cartridge loading as the Vado, in that the cartridge pops up as the bolt goes forward and engages the two extractors and goes straight into the barrel.
The Vudoo V22 has a controlled round feeding system. The Bergara website describes the B14R as a "push feed action". See https://www.bergara.online/en/rifles...-carbon-rifle/

For a discussion of this, see this relatively recent thread https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1212169
Old 02-23-2021, 09:04 AM
Robison

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocedummy View Post
The B14R has the same cartridge loading as the Vado, in that the cartridge pops up as the bolt goes forward and engages the two extractors and goes straight into the barrel.
The Vudoo V22 has a controlled round feeding system. The Bergara website describes the B14R as a "push feed action". See https://www.bergara.online/en/rifles...-carbon-rifle/

For a discussion of this, see this relatively recent thread https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1212169
I'd say the Bergara is controlled round feed too.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:00 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robison View Post
Perhaps Bergara has it wrong. But it's curious that their own website would mischaracterize their product.

Perhaps, as suggested in the link above, it may be what's known as "controlled push feed".
Old 02-23-2021, 07:17 PM
ShooterReady

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I don't understand on the Penrod B14R why there is an adapter unless it's just because the barrel blank he wanted to use wasn't big enough diameter to direct thread into the receiver.

I have thought about replacing the barrel on my B14R also with a custom barrel, I think the receiver threads are just metric, I am not positive on that. I know the center fire B14s are 1.062x16 TPI just like Remington 700s.
The B14R barrel shank is not a standard pre-fit size. The Penrod barrels are one size, and the B14R receiver is another, thus the collar adapter.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:38 PM
Robison

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterReady View Post
Quote:

The B14R barrel shank is not a standard pre-fit size. The Penrod barrels are one size, and the B14R receiver is another, thus the collar adapter.
What size and threads are the B14Rs tennon?
Old 02-23-2021, 10:51 PM
Robison

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Quote:
Perhaps Bergara has it wrong. But it's curious that their own website would mischaracterize their product.

Perhaps, as suggested in the link above, it may be what's known as "controlled push feed".
What's the definition of a controlled push feed?
It meets the definition of control feed in my opinion. It wouldn't be the first time a company had a mistake on thier website either.
Multiple online reviews by the gun industry refer to it as control round feed.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterReady View Post
My understanding on the bushing , and what I have seen on 40x precision built rifles , the tenon is large and the barrel tapers down drastically , this has proven to hurt accuracy , so gunsmiths use a threaded bushing to reduce the tenon thread size , now you can utilize a straight or straighter taper increasing accuracy

Last edited by 68hoyt; Yesterday at 08:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hoyt,
you totally lost me on your comment. Can you please explain it more in details for me.

Or are you saying the normal barrel has a big tension(correction tenon, stupid autofill) size and then the barrel does a big tapered which is a know issue. To avoid that they installed a bushing in the receiver and use a more friendly straight or slightly tapered barrel since the tension(correction tenon, stupid autofill) is now smaller to allow this type of barrel.

So why would a manufacturer make such a barrel that cant shoot good or do they not taper it as much as this person wanted or needed?

Last edited by Baby Automag; Today at 12:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
Robison

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel tennon is 27mm diameter x 3.00mm pitch in case anyone is curious like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210224_145414_1614200425356.jpg (314.0 KB, 4 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
hoyt,
you totally lost me on your comment. Can you please explain it more in details for me.

Or are you saying the normal barrel has a big tension size and then the barrel does a big tapered which is a know issue. To avoid that they installed a bushing in the receiver and use a more friendly straight or slightly tapered barrel since the tension is now smaller to allow this type of barrel.

So why would a manufacturer make such a barrel that cant shoot good or do they not taper it as much as this person wanted or needed?

Yes you are correct , you want a straight /less tapered barrel ,
These heavy tapered factory barrels can shoot , I think it may be easier to get a straight /less taper barrel to shoot
I read somewhere the reason for the big tenon bore on say the 40x was a manufacturing / machining process to bore then broach the receiver