Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:34 AM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
5.5 vs 6.75

Good morning everyone. As I just posted, I'm on the hunt for a 106 tournament to try to redeem a stupid decision I made. What are the general thoughts between the 5.5 bull and the longer but non-fluted barrels? I definitely prefer the bull to the long fluted barres but have no experience with this barrel, residing somewhere between the two. I'll be shooting it one-handed at 25 yards.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (98)
I shoot the longer barrels better on my hi standard pistols. That is my opinion only. Lots of people say the opposite its a personal thing.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:51 PM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot56 View Post
I shoot the longer barrels better on my hi standard pistols. That is my opinion only. Lots of people say the opposite its a personal thing.
I think I may prefer the bull, shorter barrel but do want to pick up at least one long, fluted barrel on a trophy or citation. It may be more pistol specific, however. I recall shooting my long fluted citation well but I really can't shoot the long barrel on my smith 41...the bull is much better for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Longer barrel usually means a longer sight radius which leads to better sighting accuracy. But the balance of the gun in hand might be better with the shorter barrel. It generally is just personal preference. Why not have both barrels and determine for yourself which YOU like better rather than what others like better?

LDBennett
Old 02-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kona Dave
I have both barrels. I am not the greatest shot in the world. So I do equally bad with both. However, I do prefer the balance with the 5.5 bull barrel over the 6.75 fluted barrel. YMMV
Old 02-22-2021, 01:04 PM
243winxb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best Barrel Length

For timed and rapid fire, i like the 5.5 bbls. Slow fire is better at 50 yards with my longer barrel.
I did sell a High Standard Trophy 5.5 bbl because it was not as accurate as other short barrels, like the Victor model.

Have shot High Standards, Rugers & S&W 41 target pistols for many years. When it came time to thin the collection, kept a HS trophy long bbl and a Ruger MK1 long barrel.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:32 PM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Dave View Post
I have both barrels. I am not the greatest shot in the world. So I do equally bad with both. However, I do prefer the balance with the 5.5 bull barrel over the 6.75 fluted barrel. YMMV
Yes, and I do as well. The reason I asked, though, is that the long barrel that I have seen on the tournament does not appear as long as the fluted barrels on the citations and trophys and hence, whether some who typically like a shorter barrel actually do like this particular barrel. It is definitely a different barrel than the long fluted.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:31 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The tapered target barrel is to me the perfect weight and balance for offhand. Plus you get the longer sight radius. Long radius is also on the fluted barrel, but I feel it as nose heavy. I did use the fluted barrel as a free pistol many years ago.
The bull barrel is a good compromise. However given the choice I would take the heavy tapered barrel or a 6 3/4space barrel.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:52 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamden View Post
The tapered target barrel is to me the perfect weight and balance for offhand. Plus you get the longer sight radius. Long radius is also on the fluted barrel, but I feel it as nose heavy. I did use the fluted barrel as a free pistol many years ago.
The bull barrel is a good compromise. However given the choice I would take the heavy tapered barrel or a 6 3/4space barrel.
thanks much Hamden. That is about the feedback I was hoping to get. I prefer the bull over the fluted because of nose weight of the fluted but am leaning towards giving the heavy tapered barrel a try, when I do find a 106 Tournament I'd like to purchase. All this notwithstanding, pretty sure I am out in this market. $800-$1,000 for a Tournament is just too high, as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:55 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
106 vs 107

Good morning, again folks. What significant, if any, differences are there between the 106 and the 107 series? I owned only one 106 but it seemed to me to have a nicer finish than the 107s, in general, but I could be mistaken. Are there meaningful mechanical differences?
Old 02-23-2021, 07:15 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hi Citation:

I might be a bit late to the dance but I have some information you might want to consider.

I shoot bullseye or as it is now referred to, precision pistol. shoot a couple times a week in a couple leagues around here.

My primary competition gun is a Pardini SP New. It is a expensive but very popular pistol in the bullseye community. As a matter of fact, one of the teams in one of my leagues was featured on the Pardini USA website because a dozen or so of their shooters were using a Pardini.

Recently, Pardini came out with a bullseye specific model with a longer barrel, 6 inches I believe. They said it was a little more accurate and we all said "Awesome".

Well, one person in our league went and purchased a 6 inch barrel Pardini and we all lined up to try out the new barrel. We shot a couple targets with our own barrel and then switched the barrel to the longer barrel and shot the same NMC course.

After about four shooters, using our own frame and trigger group, it became apparent that we all shot the shorter barrel better and with higher scores. We were all using red dots and accommodated the change in zero for a couple shooters, but we all scored better with the shorter barrel even when the shooter thought he had a better match with the longer barrel.

This is my thoughts on the matter. for a olympic high master shooter that delivers the most perfect shot time after time, the longer barrel probably will allow a more accurate sighting for iron sights. for red dots, the high master will not see much difference in barrel length and its effect on accuracy. For us regular mortals, the longer barrel with the longer time that the bullet is in the barrel, any imperfection in the shot delivery will be amplified by the longer barrel. IE if you are "jerking" the trigger with a short barrel, the short barrel will throw that shot into the 7 ring whereas the longer barrel will throw it all the way to the 5 ring.

With that being said, I have elected not to purchase a longer barrel for my Pardini.

Of course, those are my thoughts based on my experiences. It is in no way conclusive and I would be very interested to hear from any others that have similar and relevant experiences.

Regards,
Crankster

Last edited by crankythunder; 02-23-2021 at 07:16 AM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer
Old 02-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation View Post
Yes, and I do as well. The reason I asked, though, is that the long barrel that I have seen on the tournament does not appear as long as the fluted barrels on the citations and trophys and hence, whether some who typically like a shorter barrel actually do like this particular barrel. It is definitely a different barrel than the long fluted.
Well spotted. The Tournament 106 was offered with 5.5 and 6.75" barrels - not fluted.
However, the fluted barrels of the Citation and Trophy were actually 7.25" long - a whole half inch more than the traditional 6.75" High Standard had offered as their "long" barrel.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:49 PM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks Cranky for the very useful post. It has been my experience that I shoot the shorter, heavier barrels, better across all my HS as well as my 41, for which I have both barrels. The longer tournament barrel is shorter than the fluted barrel, as Ontario points out, so it piqued my curiosity a bit but if I had to choose at the moment, I'd probably go with the shorter bull barrel. Although the Tournament with the longer barrel is a really nice looking pistol.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:39 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my entry in the "shorter barrel = higher scores" argument: my 106 Citation with a 4 1/2 barrel from a 102 Tournament. Despite the shorter sight radius, I shoot it better than with it's native 5 1/2" barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Citation4.5 copy.jpg (313.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-23-2021, 05:18 PM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like it, and I'll bet you can hold it very steady.