Rear sight broken? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rear sight broken?

So I was playing with the rear sight on my Mk IV hunter today and the windage adjustment screw clicked a few times as I turned it to the left. But then it got stuck when I tried to turn it back right. I may have forced it a bit too much and though it is now unstuck, it no longer has any positive clicks when I adjust it and the screw just turns freely. What to do? Contact Ruger warranty repair centre or just shoot it as is? There isn't much recoil so perhaps it won't be an issue with it coming loose?
Old 02-20-2021, 12:33 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
If you call them they will send you a new sight ! I usually replace mine with volquartsen rear sight!
Old 02-20-2021, 12:58 PM
Sir

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd contact Ruger Customer Support.. There's a good chance they'll send you a replacement free of charge. They did that for me when I had an issue with the rear sight on my SR22. Initially they requested I send the gun to them. When I told them I was rather have them send me the sigh and I'd replace it myself they gladly agreed. Ruger service folks are the best!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 01:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've emailed the Ruger warranty and repair centre in Canada. They are not as good as dealing directly with Ruger in the USA unfortunately but we'll see what they say. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, Snapshots (the Canadian warranty centre) says I must have used too much force and broken the adjustment screw. They are likely not wrong, but it should never have gotten stuck in the first place based on what I was doing with it. I literally turned the screw two clicks to the left and at that point it would not turn back the other way and was completely stuck.

I took the screw out and these four shards of metal came out. Sadly, typical cheap Ruger parts. I shot the front MIM sight off a Ruger SR1911 a few years back so this does not surprise me. I've just put the screw back in with blue Loctite for the moment. Who knows, that may be enough to hold it. There shouldn't be much recoil since there is no reciprocating slide so that might work.

Snapshots wants $50 for a new rear sight. Am I better off with an aftermarket replacement? If so, which one? Volquartsen, Williams Fire Sight, other? And which one would be the easiest to install without any special tools?

Old 02-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (34)
Does eBay Canada have any take-off rear sights? I just got several spares from Volquartsen here in the States for $20 each. The Mark IV sights are a bit different, but 100% interchangable with the earlier adj sights.

I screwed up my rear sight the same way you did. Rear sight blade, screw and spring. I think Ruger just mailed them to me for free.

Contact Ruger Canada again. Someone else might just send them. Don't e-mail, CALL! Harder to say no to someone on the phone vs in an e-mail.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
I much prefer volquartsen rear sight that’s what I replace them with! And with a rubber mallet you can tap them on
Old 02-23-2021, 10:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, talked to them again and they are sending me a new screw. We'll try that and then replace the whole thing if that doesn't fix it.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:30 AM
Sir

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandpoohbah View Post
OK, talked to them again and they are sending me a new screw. We'll try that and then replace the whole thing if that doesn't fix it.
It's good to hear they stepped up to support you.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone know if there is supposed to be a detent or bearing in there that interfaces with the screw? All that came out was the four pieces of shrapnel from the broken screw (as far as I can tell).
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Click" adjustment screws will have a small spring operated pointed detent horizontally in the head of the screw, and this detent will fall into notches in the bore of where the screw goes through the sight to keep the screw from moving by itself after you've made your adjustments.

As such, care must be taken when screwing one of these types of screws back in after being completely removed or replaced, as once the screw is down far enough its detent will make contact with the sight body, causing the screw to cant towards the opposite side of the detent - which can lead to crossthreading if you're not paying attention. So when installing these types of screws it's always wise to go slowly and make sure that the screw remains perpendicular to the sight body the entire time you're screwing it in - particularly while counteracting the forces of that very small detent spring.