Thought I'd Try Iron Sights - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:21 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thought I'd Try Iron Sights

I've been shooting with a C-More Railway on my guns for the past 5 years. I've always enjoyed shooting red dots, starting in the early 80 with my Bianchi style .38 revolver.

This week Volquartsen had a sale on their fiber optic front sight for the Mamba. I picked one up and found a target style Ruger rear sight on sale for $35.

Unfortunately the screws that came with the front sight were the wrong size. I called VQ and asked for the correct screws. They told me they were 8 32s and would send them out immediately.

I do a lot of leatherwork and have some screws that fit so I was able to mount the sight. When the correct ones get here I will change them out but for now I can shoot my RFPI (Rim Fire Pistol Iron) sighted gun and I hope to use it in the next Steel Challenge Match.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:54 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For me nothing is quicker to get on target with but for quite a few years now they have been very frustrating because of aging eyes. I have just gotten rid of my cataracts and as the song says, can see clearly now and iron sighs are back in focus. Friday is supposed to be a fairly nice day and I plan on going to the range and see how good or awful I am with iron sights. I also have a couple of new pistols to play with.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:22 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
For me nothing is quicker to get on target with but for quite a few years now they have been very frustrating because of aging eyes. I have just gotten rid of my cataracts and as the song says, can see clearly now and iron sighs are back in focus. Friday is supposed to be a fairly nice day and I plan on going to the range and see how good or awful I am with iron sights. I also have a couple of new pistols to play with.

Good luck after your surgery. I had my cataracts fixed a couple of years ago and what a difference it has made in my life.

Shoot great Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2021, 06:29 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a follow up exam today and it seem I have regained 20/20 vision except for up very close of course. I looked through a very old Leupold scope a couple of days ago that had become a bit blurry and I could not get it to focus sharply. It's clear as well water now. It was me, not the scope.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 01-20-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:28 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I am upset that I now need reading glasses to read. Iron sights now get blurry. If I wear my glasses, iron sights are sharp, but the target is now out of focus. It's very frustrating!
Old 02-22-2021, 03:05 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
I am upset that I now need reading glasses to read. Iron sights now get blurry. If I wear my glasses, iron sights are sharp, but the target is now out of focus. It's very frustrating!
Has this been resolved? What glasses does one use with iron sights. Currently wear bifocals. Would single vision glasses for distance be better?

Is it best to focus on the target rather than the sights or front sight?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:52 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Has this been resolved? What glasses does one use with iron sights. Currently wear bifocals. Would single vision glasses for distance be better?

Is it best to focus on the target rather than the sights or front sight?
I went to my eye doctor to have my astigmatism and near sightedness checked. I was hoping to get glasses for astigmatism. I brought 2 red dots.. the correction lenses made the red dots look worse. He said I didn't have astigmatism. I wear reading glasses for reading and when I'm on my phone.

If I wear reading glasses, iron sights get very sharp, but the target gets blurry. If I don't wear the glasses, target get clear, but iron sights are blurry. red dot helps, but I see a starburst. I think I'm going to try "muscle memory" next ... I'm really pissed.

The answer to your question is NO...
Old 02-22-2021, 10:21 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I found that I like iron sights. It was so easy to just focus on the front sight and put in on a blurry target. Hits were remarkable and I bested many of my optic sight times.

I had a few problems with light ammo. The gun would cycle but the bullet just barely came out of the barrel. This meant I had to rack the slide many times during the match which didn't help my final score.

It must have been ammo related because I had both of my guns with me and asked the Match Director if I could switch because I thought it was the gun's fault. Guess not because my backup had the same problems.

Once the weather warmed up I had no more ammo problems. This was with Federal bulk 525 round 36 grain ammo in the blue box. It's stumping me but I'll figure it out. Both guns were cleaned Saturday night so that was not the problem.

Anxious to get the next match in and see what my times will be without malfunctions.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:58 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I use 1.5 diopter glasses for open sights. Sights are sharp and target is "slightly" blurry but not bad !! 1.25 may work for some of you but 1.75 gives me sharp sights and a very blurry target. Go to the dollar store and buy several strengths to see what works for you then invest in a better grade of glasses to use for shooting.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:23 AM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
I use 1.5 diopter glasses for open sights. Sights are sharp and target is "slightly" blurry but not bad !! 1.25 may work for some of you but 1.75 gives me sharp sights and a very blurry target. Go to the dollar store and buy several strengths to see what works for you then invest in a better grade of glasses to use for shooting.
those are my exact readings.. +1.25 for iron sights, and +1.75 for reading... the doctor said it should be the opposite...
Old 02-23-2021, 09:12 AM
RWT22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of my friends had an eye doctor make a pair of glasses to be better for shooting but he did not do well with them. I asked him about his old glasses and he said they were progressive. I told him that should be about the best type to use and that is what he still uses. He nods a little to get the right strength.

I have gotten to where I can't see the front sight well with my right eye. I tried my left eye and it is very clear. I started shooting pistols with my left eye and right handed a few years ago. just looks funny. I tried Progressive lenses but could not deal with them. I am also left eye dominate. I can't shoot with both eyes open and have any type of a consistent sight picture.

Try different things.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:01 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Appreciate your replies and experience. I'll keep trying.