Old .17m2 Ammo good to shoot?? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:51 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)

Eley made Remington. Not known for cracks. CCI makes Hornady. Older stuff can have cracks just like 17HMR.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:12 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
The initial offering of the CCI Fast and Furious labelled .17M2 was really bad about split necks after firing after it was about 4 years old. I sent them examples of split necks that were occurring at the rate of about 2 in 10 shots. They claimed that my ammo had been exposed to “environment chemical contamination” and they would not replace 3 sealed cases of ammo. What total BS! I guess I should have never released those super-caustic Hoppes No. 9 fumes into my climate controlled gun room.........What was I thinking?

I believe they have since changed their brass composition or necking process to address the problems.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:03 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This newest version cci silver casing 17 grain bullet offering.
Has anyone experienced split cases with any round whatsoever?
Wish cci and hornady would go that route with the hm2 vmax offerings.

BTW,
Thus far shooting primarily cci vmax hm2 rounds in my lilja barreled 455, how many cases have had split necks?
Around one case split per 250 rounds estimated.
And if one is using hm2 for hunting, big time reminder here.
Chances are if a case burst in your gun when firing ejection won’t happen, so you’ll need to manually get burst case out somehow manually. I keep a nail with me in my hunting jacket pocket. Hard to get burst cartridge out of 455 with just a pocket knife. My nail has a small round part protruding on point of nail, this does wonders to grip rim of burst case. Some burst cases as harder to get out than others.
Definitely could be a hunting show stopper if you can’t get burst case out of chamber.

Cheers
Love my hm2.
If folks in my area back in the day say 1900 thru 1950, when families depended on wild game for eats, having a rig like mine back when a hunter could have put more meat on the dinner table on average, especially in the winter time when leaves are off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21D13D6E-3A6B-47D0-85DF-E713A36C827A.jpg (351.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by squirrel1; 12-17-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:13 AM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
The initial offering of the CCI Fast and Furious labelled .17M2 was really bad about split necks after firing after it was about 4 years old. I sent them examples of split necks that were occurring at the rate of about 2 in 10 shots. They claimed that my ammo had been exposed to “environment chemical contamination” and they would not replace 3 sealed cases of ammo. What total BS! I guess I should have never released those super-caustic Hoppes No. 9 fumes into my climate controlled gun room.........What was I thinking?

I believe they have since changed their brass composition or necking process to address the problems.

So what came of those three cases?

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 12-17-2020, 09:18 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
They were launched at sagerats in southern Oregon over the course of a several week long trips over the past 6 years. Shooting 750-1,000 rounds a day was not uncommon.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:59 AM
rbrey381
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Absolutely unsafe to use. PM me and I'll give you my address so you can properly and safely dispose of it. Of course being a stand up guy I'll pay the shipping. There. Problem solved. Merry Christmas to all!!!
Old 12-18-2020, 10:38 AM
McKay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone remember the year that Eley was blowing out their 17m2 ammo? They were selling it a 2000 round box? Was crazy cheap. I bought 20 boxes of the stuff. Shoots just fine.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:55 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Good Shooting was selling them for something like $180 a case or thereabouts, I purchased 5 cases as I recall, don't remember the year. I had purchased a couple of bricks of CCI Fast N Furious from Gander Mtn. for $3.20 a box, this lot was problematic...still have a few boxes.

Last edited by gmd1950; 12-18-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:36 PM
McKay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m pretty sure I snagged it for a ton cheaper. Remember buying just shy of $2K worth and I’m almost positive I bought 40,000 rounds. I didn’t even have a gun to shoot it in back then. Haha, Just checked still have a tad over 34K left to go.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:22 PM
jrobb45
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post

That 1000 rounds of CCI I have is the Fast and Furious. We'll see.

best
jr
Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Well semantics on age aside. We consider many things we own old at 16,LOL

It has been known that "old" MachII ammo was defective in the early days. I do not think that was all makers of it though. I think Hornandy even says not to shoot the "older" stuff..

Split cases before they even were put in the chamber were common place. I think it was this early ammo that caused the bad rep in the Marlin 717s as the exploding rifles. I am kinda glad it did though. Many Marlins were sent back to the factory and the Rifles destroyed..Shame, but good for me as I have one of the survivors in my collection.

I did put a stronger recoil spring in mine. That and the combination of the newer production ammo has a made a great shooter out of mine.
what spring did you put in yours? I have a 717 I'D like to try in mine. thanks
Old 02-23-2021, 12:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You MUST shoot it and report back to us. I would not worry as long as the gun goes BANG and not pft! I hope my Eley doesn't go bad. I paid under $5 a box for most of it. It should be good for another 70 or 80 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASg7r8ahuio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qex9VgsxWm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIZRIPsMmI
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM
coontz74

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I’m pretty sure I snagged it for a ton cheaper. Remember buying just shy of $2K worth and I’m almost positive I bought 40,000 rounds. I didn’t even have a gun to shoot it in back then. Haha, Just checked still have a tad over 34K left to go.
That’s some kind of dedication!!
Old Yesterday, 02:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coontz74 View Post
That’s some kind of dedication!!
The nice thing about 17 ammo is there is no bullet lube to dry up over time.

Given McKay's 17hm2 stash and average usage over the past 14 years, he needs to either hurry up and shoot more 17 HM2 each year or plan on living at least 70 more years to use it up. I guess sometimes children and grand children get to benefit from a wise investment.