17 WSM Coyote Opinions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:39 PM
cposs09

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I am potentially in the market for a 17 WSM. After extensive research and YouTube videos, I’m not finding the information I’m looking for. With that said, this will be a truck gun for the most part, but if I do get the urge to go call coyotes or bobcats I want to make sure this gun is an adequate round. Basically my shots will be 150 yards or less on coyotes or cats. I am reaching out to see if anyone has experience in this area, and wondering if the only shot placements are head and neck shots or if vitals works too. I have taken some coyotes over the years with a 22 Mag at closer ranges but am curious on this round. I currently have the Winchester 25 grain rounds for that use. So feel free to answer to this thread if you have any experience in this matter. Thanks!

Last edited by cposs09; 02-18-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:52 PM
koonta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll wait with you.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:47 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've taken 2 song dogs with a 17HMR 20grn hp. Both were broadside boilerroom shots, with the 80yd one DRT and the other was a spinner so I double tapped it with Rem 597 semi. @ 40ish yds.. I don't do head shots anymore as anything outside the 10ring may be a slow painful death for the animal.

Know your limitations with the 17WSM and whack em and stack em I say.
I'll make the popcorn later.
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2021, 05:06 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I was in a rimfire only area the 17 WSM would definitely be my very first choice but if not, even limiting my shots to 150 yds I think there are better choices. Some may be perfectly fine with it but for me, when coyotes are on the menu, I'll reach for a little more gun every time. If a coyote presented itself at 150 yds and all I had was my 17 WSM I'd still take a poke at it but it just wouldn't ever be my first choice, unless it was my only choice.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:50 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
If I was in a rimfire only area the 17 WSM would definitely be my very first choice but if not, even limiting my shots to 150 yds I think there are better choices. Some may be perfectly fine with it but for me, when coyotes are on the menu, I'll reach for a little more gun every time. If a coyote presented itself at 150 yds and all I had was my 17 WSM I'd still take a poke at it but it just wouldn't ever be my first choice, unless it was my only choice.
Yea That.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dunno if I would chose a .17 for a large animal like that unless they were real close and I had no other options. I would prefer to whack them with my AR for a more humane kill shot but that is just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:55 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
I dunno if I would chose a .17 for a large animal like that unless they were real close and I had no other options. I would prefer to whack them with my AR for a more humane kill shot but that is just my opinion.
You'd want to be careful not to say that around some folks because there's a whole crowd of 17 Remington or 17-223 guys that boyyy howdy will instantly be ready to go to the mattresses if they heard you say that.

I love my two 17 Hornets and I've often considered building a 17-222 but I MUCH prefer, at the least, a fast stepping .20 cal over any of the 17's. Maybe if I was a fur saver and sold hides I would feel differently but since I'm not I like my coyotes to me more deader'er and if they've got huge gaping holes in their side for instant death, that's even better.

Last edited by B23; 02-20-2021 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:27 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
says the guy that don't save fur.....
Old 02-20-2021, 02:03 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
When pelts are not saved... its time to crack out the ultra mags.

The 17 wsm would still be my first choice for a rimfire only situation, 150 seems like a good limit.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:32 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You'd want to be careful not to say that around some folks because there's a whole crowd of 17 Remington or 17-223 guys that boyyy howdy will instantly be ready to go to the mattresses if they heard you say that.

I love my two 17 Hornets and I've often considered building a 17-222 but I MUCH prefer, at the least, a fast stepping .20 cal over any of the 17's. Maybe if I was a fur saver and sold hides I would feel differently but since I'm not I like my coyotes to me more deader'er and if they've got huge gaping holes in their side for instant death, that's even better.
I has pic of one I blew away with a 243 you'd like. Never took pix of a 25-06'd one.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman22 View Post
says the guy that don't save fur.....
I guess I didn't take that into consideration with my post.I can see why someone that is pelt/fur hunting would want to use one.

Around here we just kill coyote's because they are a nuisance, kill pets/farm animals, and get out of control, so that is where my head was. I wasn't trying to offend or judge anyone.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:08 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I has pic of one I blew away with a 243 you'd like. Never took pix of a 25-06'd one.
I was up elk hunting many years ago and a good size yote walked out on a logging skid trail in the wide open only, maybe at most, 50 yds from me but was at an angle looking away. The angle was a bit more flat to me than I thought and my shot hit a little further back. I was SHOCKED when it wasn't a complete bang flop because I saw the blood and guts spray out the off side through my scope and it bolted for about ten yards then pilled up. I walked over to it and the whole other side literally looked like someone had opened up this coyote with a can opener and it practically looked gutted by the 180gr bullet from my 300 Weatherby mag. I am still amazed at how tough those things can be. I've had ones I've shot that had nothing more than a bullet hole entrance and exit and they dropped dead on the spot not so much as a quiver then others like that one I shot with my 300 and they aren't.

Todd-67, no worry of offending me. Like I said, I'm not really a fan of 17's for shooting coyotes but I know they have a certain following and they can often be a sensitive bunch. LOL

If 17's work for some, hey, more power to ya I just prefer 20, 22, or 24 caliber stuff a lot better.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:13 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'm not really a fan of 17's for shooting coyotes but I know they have a certain following and they can often be a sensitive bunch. LOL
Aww, I'm touched.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:25 PM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I was up elk hunting many years ago and a good size yote walked out on a logging skid trail in the wide open only, maybe at most, 50 yds from me but was at an angle looking away. The angle was a bit more flat to me than I thought and my shot hit a little further back. I was SHOCKED when it wasn't a complete bang flop because I saw the blood and guts spray out the off side through my scope and it bolted for about ten yards then pilled up. I walked over to it and the whole other side literally looked like someone had opened up this coyote with a can opener and it practically looked gutted by the 180gr bullet from my 300 Weatherby mag. I am still amazed at how tough those things can be. I've had ones I've shot that had nothing more than a bullet hole entrance and exit and they dropped dead on the spot not so much as a quiver then others like that one I shot with my 300 and they aren't.

Todd-67, no worry of offending me. Like I said, I'm not really a fan of 17's for shooting coyotes but I know they have a certain following and they can often be a sensitive bunch. LOL

If 17's work for some, hey, more power to ya I just prefer 20, 22, or 24 caliber stuff a lot better.
Your story perfectly demonstrates that shot placement is more critical than cartridge choice. I've seen a coyote that ran away with eight 223 Rem run through its gut. A properly placed 17 WSM will drop a coyote at 100yds. A properly placed 204 Ruger or 223 Rem will do it at 300yds.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:04 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Kinda.... launching 120s out of a long tube 7 rum over 3700 fps. They don't run gut shot, well they dont run far, but you'll save roughly a postage stamp chunk of hide....