Balance Point? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Balance Point?

My "big" levergun is a Marlin 1894C in .357 with 18" barrel, I like it and plan to keep it. The Marlin weighs 6.1 lbs and filling it with 9 rds of 125 gr Magnum loads brings it up to 6.4 lbs.

But for me, balance is more important than actual weight.
I'm looking for whatever Henry H001 version would come closest to balancing at the same point as my Marlin, as shown in the photo. The magazine is full for this test.
(Please pardon the dirty Marlin and not-quite-closed bolt).
Since I have a set of Skinner sights to put on the Marlin, the Henry Small Game Rifle or Small Game Carbine with the heavier barrel looks like a good match on paper.

Could some of you guys check the balance point on your Henry and let me know how it compares to my Marlin?
It's hard to see, but "balance beam" has tape on it and is underneath the receiver, the wide white line is a strip of paper laying on top of the receiver to identify the balance point.
Put some tape on your balance beam to prevent scratching the rifle, and be darned careful if you load the tube (and let me know if empty or full).

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Balance Point.jpg (476.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 02-20-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:26 AM
Shannon81

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a H001 - base model 22. Fully loaded with 40 grain bullets, the balance point is directly at the front of the ejection port. The front receiver screw is almost perfectly in line with the balance point. The center of the screw might be a 32nd of an inch forward of the balance point. I just used a plain wood pencil to find it. Hope that gives you the info you wanted.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:20 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The key to the Henry s is if you dont like a front heavy rifle , avoid the octagon barrels. And even some of those a balanced pretty good if you get the fancy brass butt plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 03:03 PM
Gearhead Jim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon81 View Post
I have a H001 - base model 22. Fully loaded with 40 grain bullets, the balance point is directly at the front of the ejection port. The front receiver screw is almost perfectly in line with the balance point. The center of the screw might be a 32nd of an inch forward of the balance point. I just used a plain wood pencil to find it. Hope that gives you the info you wanted.
Shannon-
That's exactly the information I was looking for, thanks a bunch!
Considering the slightly longer receiver on my Marlin, it looks like your Henry and my Marlin have very similar balance points.
That means that the Henry Small Game Carbine, even with it's shorter barrel, would probably be somewhat muzzle-heavy compared to my Marlin.
So I'll probably go with the Classic H001 and either install the Skinner clamp-on sight, or send the receiver cover to Skinner to get their Drill & Tap service if I want the sight to be lower.

Toomany22s-
It looks like you are correct, any octagonal barrel H001 series would be muzzle-heavy for me. Thanks for the comment.
Jim
Old 02-21-2021, 03:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I didnt realize you were talking Only Henry 22 s, Duh on me.

I have a Henry H001Y, the youth model! Shorter barrel and stock.

Check one out , its a very well balanced gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1609533-636C-424E-852F-6A583541A8BE.jpg (505.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Gearhead Jim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
^^^
The Youth model is a very nice gun, but the Classic H001 is a closer match to my Marlin; the Classic is closer in length of pull, barrel length, overall length, and weight.

If I wasn't trying to match my Marlin, the Youth might be my first choice.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:18 PM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What a cool question.

I like to think of my H001 as an inexpensive "trainer" for my Marlin 336 and my Ruger 10/22 as a trainer for my Mini 14. Your question makes a lot of sense.

I believe where rifles (and swords) are concerned, balance is as important if not more important than weight alone. In both cases, a "nose heavy" weapon will feel far heavier than a well-balanced weapon, even if the latter weighs the same amount.

I thought I would like the Henry Golden Boy but hated the nose-heavy design. Likewise, my old Marlin model 60 is the long barrel/magazine version and I find the newer, shorter versions far handier because they balance closer to the trigger.

Be well.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some people like front heavy guns because being less susceptible to inadvertent movement, due to their weight, they can shoot them more accurately. Yes slower to get on target, but slower to come off. Shotguns are usually long for this very reason.

Generally, With a short gun one comes down on a target , with a long gun one comes up on a target. It all depends on preference, and use.

As for training gun, well thats new fangled talk for “22 is cheaper , it used to be, so im gonna shoot that. “

I really liked my Marlin 336, but I dont hunt anymore , so its gone. I really like plinking with my Henry , so its gonna stay around for a whle.

I do have.a Mini 14, but rarely shoot it. So it may be going soon.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:30 AM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May want to consider keeping your rifles, even if they aren't favorites. I imagine it will not become easier to obtain firearms in the future. Just sayin.

Be well.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:28 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
My Classic H001 came with the longer barrel and soon the barrel and magazine got shortened to 16 1/8”. Then it wasn’t long after that a youth stock followed. Handy gun being a true carbine just to bad I couldn’t have made it a 14 1/2” trapper without giving the government $200.00 to make it a safe gun. Oh maybe I should say I’m 5’6” tall.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:34 PM
BCRider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gearhead Jim, I was curious about this so I took out my own H001 and Golden Boy rifles. I held them so they would balance and sit level or just a hint muzzle down in my hand. Then looked for the balance by lifting various fingers out of contact.

The first is my H001. The balance in this picture is just slightly heavy on my index finger. But if I take the ring finger out of contact it falls back and onto the floor. Loading the magazine only with 12 rounds of .22LR did not move the balance by any amount that made a difference. .22 ammo is just too light compared to the weight of the rifle. At most it might have measured out to a 1/16th inch change or something along that line.

The Golden Boy receiver has a bit of a hook under the lower area that mimics the early Winchester toggle action rifles. In the second picture my middle finger is right in that little hook and the ring finger is just behind the point. In this case the rifle balances evenly on both fingers.

In both cases the rifles feel easily carried for longer distances. Although I think to avoid risk of tripping and falling and snapping the neck or damaging the receiver I'd want to use a shoulder scabbard or set up the stocks to use a carry sling.

Closing the other two fingers and wrapping the thumb makes for a very comfortable carry position. But if used on a longer walk I'd be going with the lighter to carry H001.

With the carbine version being 2 inches of fairly heavy metal off the front with no other change I'd be worried that the rifle would hang muzzle high in this same classic hold with the pinky just touching the trigger guard/lever. But if you really want the shorter barrel and a few less rounds in the magazine then carefully drilling some good size holes into the butt end of the shoulder stock should restore the natural level balance for that grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040105.JPG (269.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg P1040106.JPG (256.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:35 PM
Gearhead Jim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the nice posting and photos.
I failed to mention that my primary interest in the Balance Point is to get a Henry .22 Lever that feels like my Marlin when mounting the gun and then shooting. But Balance is Balance, so your information is just as useful to me.

My next move will be to find both the Classic and Small Game Carbine (shorter but thicker barrel) in a store nearby, then compare them with each other and with my Marlin.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 PM
Gearhead Jim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Today I made the jump and bought a H001. The stock is rather dark with with some faint tiger striping. No the kind of wood I associate with a levergun, but it was the only one I could find in stock nearby. I'll either grow to like it or refinish it or trade stocks with someone.

It's almost as heavy as my Marlin but noticably smaller/trimmer.

I'll post pictures when I get it home, which will be a while. The Illinois waiting system is all screwed up...
Old 03-03-2021, 10:55 AM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll post pictures when I get it home, which will be a while. The Illinois waiting system is all screwed up..

Please do! I'm intrigued by your description of the stock.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:24 AM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the small game carbine with the short octagon barrel and a small scope mounted and it balances perfectly at the front of the receiver. I was concerned with the looks of the barrel that this rifle would be nose heavy, but it surprised me when I first handled it. I also have an H001 with the round 20" barrel, well balanced also.