Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:38 PM
pro2nda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M4-22 lower milspec?

Gents,

Bought a tippman m4-22 and am loving it. I read that the lower is milspec(apart from the safety) and the fcg is interchangeable. Does this mean that a 223 upper could be used with the m4-22 lower?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:30 PM
mrwug
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro2nda View Post
Gents,

Bought a tippman m4-22 and am loving it. I read that the lower is milspec(apart from the safety) and the fcg is interchangeable. Does this mean that a 223 upper could be used with the m4-22 lower?
Fraid not
Old 02-22-2021, 09:21 AM
OldRunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would be great if an SME or Tippmann would state exactly what's mil-spec on a complete rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 AM
pro2nda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRunner View Post
Would be great if an SME or Tippmann would state exactly what's mil-spec on a complete rifle.
Exactly, I bought this gun before buying the real deal since 5.56 ammo is insanely expensive. Even the AR itself is just too expensive at the moment. If I could buy a 5.56 upper and swap it out that would be awesome. Then at some point in the future I could buy another lower and have two ar platforms.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:26 AM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you want an AR, buy an AR...there are conversion kits to make them shoot 22LR, it doesn't go the other way.

Of you want an AR style dedicated 22LR, buy a Tippmann, they are one of the best available. Probably the most accurate AR style 22LR on the market. Also, the receivers are aluminum, not polymer.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:40 AM
pro2nda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
If you want an AR, buy an AR...there are conversion kits to make them shoot 22LR, it doesn't go the other way.

Of you want an AR style dedicated 22LR, buy a Tippmann, they are one of the best available. Probably the most accurate AR style 22LR on the market. Also, the receivers are aluminum, not polymer.
Yep, I agree, definitely a lovely gun. I was just more curious of how standard the lower receiver on the tippman 22 is and if its possible to put a 5.56/223 upper on it if I wanted to.

If its not ill probably just buy a seperate lower and upper, it seems to be much cheaper than paying a min of 800 for an AR due to COVID.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:02 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5.56 upper will NOT fit on a Tippmann lower. Tippmann intentionally made them that way, the holes don't line up for the pins that secure the upper to the lower.

Some but not all AR compatible trigger groups will fit the Tippmann lower, some will not...not sure why they didn't make the lowers compatible with all AR trigger groups, there's probably a reason.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:05 PM
pro2nda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
5.56 upper will NOT fit on a Tippmann lower. Tippmann intentionally made them that way, the holes don't line up for the pins that secure the upper to the lower.

Some but not all AR compatible trigger groups will fit the Tippmann lower, some will not...not sure why they didn't make the lowers compatible with all AR trigger groups, there's probably a reason.
You're right. I just called tippman directly, they said the hammer was offset intentionally for legal reasons. Sadly, they are preparing for future AR bans, and if they made a lower compatible with any standard upper the entire 22 could fall under the ban. Also for international legality.

So for anyone reading this thread, you cannot place a standard upper on a tippman lower since ARs are scary. Still an amazing gun, so much fun to shoot and definitely high quality.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:18 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That is why I have only real AR Lowers, that way I can swap uppers anytime I want to.

5.56 upper to 22 Long Rifle..And vise versa of course.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:33 PM
pro2nda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
That is why I have only real AR Lowers, that way I can swap uppers anytime I want to.

5.56 upper to 22 Long Rifle..And vise versa of course.
Definitely a learning experience for sure. Im happy to have a dedicated 22lr platform though. I guess ill try to find a deal on a complete ar15 someday.