am I wasting my time -- accuracy with takedown - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:49 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
That's phenomenal accuracy for a TD, congrats! Have any pics of those targets?
here's mine (right after scope re-attachment and reassembly; i make sure to cycle the bolt a few times and pay attention to proper tension):

Old 02-22-2021, 12:22 PM
Bliksem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very interesting thread. I have a base model stainless steel take-down fitted with an AT3 red dot (2 MOA dot similar to Bushnell). In my case my eye sight and lack of magnification is the limiting factor for accuracy. The 10-22 take-down is not a target rifle and I got it for plinking mostly given the convenient packing size.

I can get 1 inch groups at 25 yards, even then my eye sight is the limit with the red dot to get things tighter. I just use CCI mini-mag, Federal Range HV, Remington Golden bullet, etc. Nothing fancy. The Federal seem to be the most consistent and the GB the least.

If I don't adjust the tension ring on the take-down I don't really notice a shift in POI after putting it back together (maybe 1/4" at 50 yds). Given the ammo I use and my setup any shift is not noticeable to me.

At 50 yds things get challenging with the red dot, and target color is the big determining factor. But in general still good for 2-3" groups if I take a bit of time. 100 yds is a crap shoot with my eyes and the lack of magnification - I typically aim 6" high with HV ammo (zero at 25 & 50 yds with HV) and most rounds will be in a 6-8" group - this is more of a setup and my capability with no magnification rather than rifle.

Reality is that mostly use it up to 50 yds max anyway, and typically in the 15-30 yd range, where is it more than accurate enough for offhand plinking, etc.

Will see if I'm able to upload some images later.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:34 PM
Bliksem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Federal Bulk HV 40gr 10 shot group at 25 yds

CCI 40gr Mini-mag 5 shot group at 25 yds

100 yds with GB, CCI Mini Mag 40gr, Norma TAC SV (dropped a bit low and left).
Ignore the four corners apart from the bottom right, used its or eating at 50 yds with different ammo. Some of the top left shots in the bottom right quadrant where from 100yds. I was aiming center top on target for the drop at 100yds. The poor grouping is more my eyes with a red dot and no magnification at 100yds. Pretty sure with a scope I would be able to get at least a 4" grouping at 100 yds. There was also a breeze from the left - explaining the drift to the right a bit.