Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:02 PM
Bionicman
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That Old Bolt Clearence Problem, Again

Couple of years back I set my wifes 77/22 magnum up with a Nikkon Pro Staff EFR. Don't like medium mounts messes up cheek weld so went with low, problem is the bolt grazes ocular housing when pulled back.

The Nikkon ocular is 1.73" from memory much bigger the Leupy, anyone come up with a way around this best solution would be a tactical style knob that has a spoon shape machined into it, certainly would help with our old arthritic hands when hunting

Any suggestions fellas?

John
Old 02-21-2021, 08:24 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd dump the scope and get one that works......
Old 02-21-2021, 11:59 PM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicman View Post
Couple of years back I set my wifes 77/22 magnum up with a Nikkon Pro Staff EFR. Don't like medium mounts messes up cheek weld so went with low, problem is the bolt grazes ocular housing when pulled back.

Any suggestions fellas?

John
Mine wears a slim fixed 4 power Tasco and it still grazes the ocular. I have noticed that the bolt can be operated in a less aggressive manner and not hit the scope. That takes a bit of concentration on my part, so it doesn't get done in practice. The scope has paint worn off in the problem area by the previous owner and now me so I live with it.

You might try cycling the bolt slower and more carefully, hopefully, that will give you just enough clearance. Especially if it's just grazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 02:23 AM
buckndee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Apply some electrical tape to the contact area to prevent further damage. Several of my
scopes have been taped, bolts still rub. but no wear and tear.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:38 AM
Bionicman
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am surprised there isnt an after market fix for this, seems a lot of rim fire scopes have this large ocular. Could not bin the scope its just a fantastic scope I believe they are now discontinued but when one pop's up on the used market down here they sell quick

John
Old 02-22-2021, 12:15 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckndee View Post
Apply some electrical tape to the contact area to prevent further damage. Several of my
scopes have been taped, bolts still rub. but no wear and tear.
Not a 77/22 but an old pre 65 Win 70, with a 4x Leupold in a Weaver pivot mount. I had the bolt grazing the ocular problem when I put the scope on it back in 1963, and went the electrical tape route. I think that same piece of tape has been there all those years and has not worn through.