Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:40 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Wipe Out Products vs Feddersen Bull

Treated the 16.25" Feddersen Bull barrel today. When I got this one, all I did was pull a few patches and went to the range. It shoots great! I pulled wet patches about every 75 to 100 rounds so after about 400 rounds it met Mr. Borescope. Wow! There was a lot of lead smears on the lands and in the grooves up to about 10 inches from the chamber, and a few spots on the lands further up. What a mess. I guess it's a credit to Mr. Feddersen because it still shot most excellent. After treating three hours with Patch Out and two treatments of No Lead, it was time to move on to something that made a visible difference, I was not getting positive results according to the borescope. I did 25 laps of Iosso with a bronze pistol brush, better...borescoped, but no cigar. Then went to RB-17 bore cleaner with a new bronze pistol brush for 25 laps and let set for 30 minutes. O.K., now we're getting somewhere. Two more treatments with No Lead, and 30 laps with a nylon rifle brush using Flitz, cleaned with Shooters Choice MC7 and wet patched until clean a then dry patches. Whew! Did a 30 minute treatment with Patch Out, finally good and clean, and the borescope told me it looked nice and shining like a big diamond in a goats ear, but still had a very few very small spots on the lands. I have oiled it and put it in the case. The Weather Guy suggested it was going to be in the teens in two days, and will probably get it out for another look. I really don't know how many rounds were shot by the Feddersen team when testing, but it sure was a mess. It did clean up very well, and this being my second Feddersen barrel, I do know they can take a ''lick'in" and keep on ticking. The metal in these barrels have no fear of the brush, and certainly hold their own in the accuracy department. I'll make a note to scope this one again in about 200 rounds. Yea, I like them clean. By the way, at 50 yards having shot the Kidd and the Feddersen with groups of 5 at 50 yards using USBR targets.... I still have yet to make a decision on which one is better with SK+. Looking forward to doing it again - now they are both clean. I need to put a new battery in my calipers, the manual caliper measurements were too close to call. Later Gator....AH

Last edited by ammohog; 02-12-2021 at 11:28 PM. Reason: misspletted a wurd
Old 02-14-2021, 04:08 PM
cww308
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ammohog
That sure was a cleaning session . I would have tried a few cut patches of the Birchwood Casey Lead Remover cloth. It turns lead into cream , removes those burn marks on a cylinder face with a light hand rub , that's on Stainless Steel , will remove the bluing if rubbed too hard. I favor Ballistol but my wife hates the smell and to cold to clean outside now. I'm using Ballistol and Charcoal lighter fluid 50/50 .for a normal cleaning . Now for lead I'm trying Sharp Shooters No Lead and Bore Tech RimFire Blend ., Some on forums post to use with a worn copper cleaning brush wrapped with the ChoreBoy Copper . Ordered and will try that too. Thanks for taking the time in sharing you cleaning methods.
Chris
Old 02-14-2021, 05:15 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cww308 View Post
Some on forums post to use with a worn copper cleaning brush wrapped with the ChoreBoy Copper . Ordered and will try that too. Thanks for taking the time in sharing you cleaning methods.
Chris
Thanks Chris. Everything I have stated in this thread is verified with a borescope, including the "trying to clean the lead out of a .22lr barrel with ChoreBoy copper or Big 45 pads, or Bronze Wool" wrapped around a brush (both nylon and bronze). I have found that it works better for centerfire, not so much for .22lr (as in post #14). If you lived close by, I still have plenty of all three you could try. Hope it works for you better than it did for me. I only tried 75 laps of each. Let me know what your borescope tells you about the procedure. Best of luck! Later Gator...... and thanks for the read.. ......... AH

Last edited by ammohog; 02-14-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:23 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Wipe Out vs. Anschutz 64 Silhouette

Borescoped the Anschutz Silhouette and two of the grooves appear to be full of lead at least 1/4" from the end of the chamber. Also, there are two grooves full of lead 1/4" from the crown. Various small spots and smears of lead 2" from the end of the chamber and some waves or drifts of lead just before the crown issue. Used Patch Out for 30 minutes and then two 20 minute treatments of No Lead, all brush-less. After the second No Lead treatment, I noticed some evidence of rust on the patches of Patch Out after the treatment. Having borescoped after all treatments, following instruction, I was surprised to see this happen. The borescope revealed dark areas in the barrel about 2 to 5 inches from the end of the chamber, some in grooves and lands. These were not lead streaks like I have seen before, but like a "cloud" of darkness. Yikes? What the heck is that? It was obvious this had to be resolved quickly. I went to Shooters Choice MC-7 and a bronze pistol brush for 15 laps. Better, but still slightly there. Ok, time to get down to business. Nylon rifle brush and Flitz for 25 laps. That took care of the mysterious dark areas, also removed or smoothed out the "waves" of lead next to the crown. The lead in the grooves mentioned were not completely gone. Both grooves were becoming visible next to the chamber, and next to the crown one groove was clear and the other was becoming visible. I have decided I need to take it to the range for a box of SK+ and see how it does before doing anything more at this time. The mysterious dark areas in the barrel is something I haven't see before in a barrel, if you have any ideas about this - let me know. I'll just have to see what happens at the range and go from there. To be continued... ...... AH

Last edited by ammohog; 02-22-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Wipe Out Review

I hope this thread has cleared up just exactly what Wipe Out Patch Out and No Lead will and won't do for your lead / cleaning problems in your .22lr barrels. I have proved that the two Wipe Out products tested really do soften up extreme lead buildup in most barrels, and allow other products to work considerably better and faster to remove the excessive lead in your .22lr barrels. It is apparent the Wipe Out products really do remove lead in better quality barrels - before it gets too bad. Like the benchrest shooters say about lead in the barrels, "just don't let it get that bad", this is what you are looking for. Keep an eye out for the first signs of lead buildup in a quality barrel using a borescope, and this is the answer to your lead problems - probably with no brushing - at all. If you wait until accuracy really falls off, you are still in the middle of a much longer process to remove all of the lead from your barrel. Then again, if you don't have or use a borescope often to check your cleaning needs and / or cleaning progress, you really are "whistling in the dark". Thanks for reading .. Best of luck......and ... Keep those barrels clean! .........AH

PS: Follow the instructions with all Wipe Out products.