Will try this rifle again - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:09 PM
jross239

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will try this rifle again

I attended an Appleseed event in October. Shot in the wind and rain both days and missed my score by 1 and 2 points all weekend.

The hardest one was on day 1. In the transition to sitting i had my bolt not seat fully and then dropped my mag by bumping my Tandemkross mag release. I was about to break my shot and they called ceasefire.

I still had 5 rounds in my mag (plus the chambered round). 3 people added up my score and I was 1 point shy.

Day 2 i was getting flyers and found that my comp was leaded up once I got home.

By the end of the weekend I had close to 2000 rounds through the rifle without cleaning it.

First things I did was remove the comp and changed the mag release.

Now just need to get to the range and run some practice drills to get back into the mindset

Here are some pictures of my 2020 Appleseed project rifle that I will also use for 2021.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2021, 02:48 PM
dash4cash
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice looking shooter, you should be all good for this year. Good Luck.

Carl
Old 02-10-2021, 02:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NICE! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2021, 07:17 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice rifle, I'm sure you'll earn your Rifleman patch at the next event!
Old 02-10-2021, 11:08 PM
jross239

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGhillemohr View Post
Nice rifle, I'm sure you'll earn your Rifleman patch at the next event!
I hope so @MacGhillemohr

I was so disappointed at the last event. I was shooting good, but just couldn't get it together. The 209 and 208 scores were killing me. When I dropped to a 175 with the flyers i just stopped shooting for the day. When I got home and saw how leaded up the comp was, i was surprised anything hit the target

Old 02-11-2021, 09:14 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I'm not familiar with that particular barrel, but one should clean the chamber on a Kidd barrel every 200 rounds or so (at least I need to). That can lead to the bolt not closing. Let me know when you are going to a 'seed. I will see if I am in the area...my lady lives in San Diego. I hope to work with you soon!
Old 02-11-2021, 11:29 AM
NashvilleStage
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, that's a nice looking rifle. Yeah, getting within a few points of making Rifleman can be very... motivating. LOL. I'm sure you'll come back and improve even more on the next class. Be careful, Appleseeds are addictive. 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross239 View Post
By the end of the weekend I had close to 2000 rounds through the rifle without cleaning it.
I know Jross didn't mean it this way, but I just thought I'd clarify: we don't shoot 2,000 rounds at an Appleseed. If you're considering attending an event, you won't have to get a 2nd mortgage to afford the ammo. 😉 On average for our standard 25 meter Appleseeds, we'll go though 400-600 rounds depending on how nice the weather is and how many hours of daylight there are.

Considering the ammo shortages we're currently in, our shoot bosses will usually tweak the instructional blocks to reduce the total round count even more.

As an aside, if anyone is bringing youth shooters to an Appleseed, ask the shoot boss ahead of time if they have any youth ammo supplies available. Some manufacturers have special programs that allow local instructors to purchase ammo for youth shooters.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:37 PM
jross239

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
I'm not familiar with that particular barrel, but one should clean the chamber on a Kidd barrel every 200 rounds or so (at least I need to). That can lead to the bolt not closing. Let me know when you are going to a 'seed. I will see if I am in the area...my lady lives in San Diego. I hope to work with you soon!
It is the Grey Birch Solutions carbon fiber barrel.

I had run about 1500 rounds through it at the range the prior week to do a break in and see how it was shooting. Just never cleaned it because it was running so well.

My Kidd barrels need to be cleaned a bit more frequently.

I am attending the Feb 24 event up in Rainbow

Old 02-11-2021, 01:59 PM
jross239

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleStage View Post
Wow, that's a nice looking rifle. Yeah, getting within a few points of making Rifleman can be very... motivating. LOL. I'm sure you'll come back and improve even more on the next class. Be careful, Appleseeds are addictive. 😉

I know Jross didn't mean it this way, but I just thought I'd clarify: we don't shoot 2,000 rounds at an Appleseed. If you're considering attending an event, you won't have to get a 2nd mortgage to afford the ammo. 😉 On average for our standard 25 meter Appleseeds, we'll go though 400-600 rounds depending on how nice the weather is and how many hours of daylight there are.

Considering the ammo shortages we're currently in, our shoot bosses will usually tweak the instructional blocks to reduce the total round count even more.

As an aside, if anyone is bringing youth shooters to an Appleseed, ask the shoot boss ahead of time if they have any youth ammo supplies available. Some manufacturers have special programs that allow local instructors to purchase ammo for youth shooters.
Thank you sir.

It was a fun project for sure. It shoots amazing. I had some issues in the beginning and it settled down after some minor modifications

You are correct in pointing out that i didnt shoot that much in the one weekend. Most of it was the weekend prior. I think i went through about 300 rounds before i decided i was done. It was the one time that I didnt have a back up rifle with me. I usually bring a back up with me in case my primary starts to act up on me

Old 02-11-2021, 03:59 PM
rwadley

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
I am attending the Feb 24 event up in Rainbow

I think you mean the 27th and 28th, but regardless I will just barely miss you. I will probably be in Alabama that weekend.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:40 AM
jross239

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I think you mean the 27th and 28th, but regardless I will just barely miss you. I will probably be in Alabama that weekend.
You are correct sir. I got my dates mixed up.

I am going to shoot for doing at least 2 events this year. Was about to sign up for April, but I may be on a travel assignment for work come April or May. It's still up in the air of when and if I'll be traveling.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:38 PM
rwadley

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
You are correct sir. I got my dates mixed up.

I am going to shoot for doing at least 2 events this year. Was about to sign up for April, but I may be on a travel assignment for work come April or May. It's still up in the air of when and if I'll be traveling.

The April 17-18th events should be extra special. We celebrate Patriots' Day and generally have a special volley fire to celebrate the fallen patriots of April 19th, 1775. At some of the events we have reenactors. As of now, I plan to either be at Rainbow or Piru that day.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:05 PM
jross239

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The April 17-18th events should be extra special. We celebrate Patriots' Day and generally have a special volley fire to celebrate the fallen patriots of April 19th, 1775. At some of the events we have reenactors. As of now, I plan to either be at Rainbow or Piru that day.
That was my first Appleseed event in 2019. I was signed up for the 2020 event and it was canceled and i kept getting pushed to the next event until we finally got to October.

If I am not on travel for work, i plan on being at the April event as well

Old 02-15-2021, 10:10 AM
PisgahProject
GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good looking rifle setups and great job. I have a few questions if you wouldn’t mind expanding and sharing a bit if nothing else just for curiosity. How many Appleseed events have you shot at? Both rifles are set up differently with a very different weight shift or balance point anything that you have noticed from your 19’ set up to the 21’ set up?? Based on your shooting ability what area has been your weakest and what has been your strongest? From the 1st to the last event what has been the most noticeable change in your shooting? Lastly how much of what you have learned have you been able to pass on or inspire new shooters with? Look forward to reading and seeing more-