Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind!

4M views 54K replies 805 participants last post by  mattysams 
#1 ·
This thread is for "Rabid Squirrel Hunters"......no matter what kind of rimfire you shoot!!!!

firstshot
---------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

#54,427 ·
I will answer for him. It is a k22 HS with the barrel shortened to 18 inches and put in a Kimber Classic Varmint stock. It is a fantastic shooter and as good a squirrel rifle as a man can own.
I have a Kimber K22 HS and a K17 Classic Varmint... and I have a Classic Varmint stock for the HS. I have been toying with the idea of getting the HS barrel shortened to match that of the K17 (and get both barrels threaded for a suppressor), and have a matched pair of squirrel rifles suitable for early and late season use.

Why did you choose 18"? My original thought is to have the HS barrel cut to the same length, then I've thought about determining a balance point and having the HS barrel cut so it holds/balances the same as the K17, then I've thought about having the barrel slugged and looking for the tightest point and cutting it off just short of that... etc.

With a .22 LR, the velocity is pretty much the same from 18" to 22" or thereabouts. There's an idea that the longer barrel reduces muzzle velocity variations, at the expense of the rifle moving slightly more from an unsupported hold (offhand or braced, in the field) and thus sacrificing accuracy slightly. I don't think the barrel length matters from a practical standpoint, in terms of muzzle velocity... if kept within 18" to 22" or thereabouts.

Just curious about the thinking... my assumption is that this length was felt to be a good combination of handiness/balance and muzzle velocity. Is that correct?

#54,428 ·
I have a Kimber K22 HS and a K17 Classic Varmint... and I have a Classic Varmint stock for the HS. I have been toying with the idea of getting the HS barrel shortened to match that of the K17 (and get both barrels threaded for a suppressor), and have a matched pair of squirrel rifles suitable for early and late season use.

Why did you choose 18"? My original thought is to have the HS barrel cut to the same length, then I've thought about determining a balance point and having the HS barrel cut so it holds/balances the same as the K17, then I've thought about having the barrel slugged and looking for the tightest point and cutting it off just short of that... etc.

With a .22 LR, the velocity is pretty much the same from 18" to 22" or thereabouts. There's an idea that the longer barrel reduces muzzle velocity variations, at the expense of the rifle moving slightly more from an unsupported hold (offhand or braced, in the field) and thus sacrificing accuracy slightly. I don't think the barrel length matters from a practical standpoint, in terms of muzzle velocity... if kept within 18" to 22" or thereabouts.

Just curious about the thinking... my assumption is that this length was felt to be a good combination of handiness/balance and muzzle velocity. Is that correct?
It was already cut to 18" when I got it. It was balanced perfectly.