Frontier finally shoots - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:34 PM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frontier finally shoots

I bought a Frontier with a 24" barrel that I thought would be perfect for lever silhouette. The problem was that no matter what type of ammo I shot through it 1.5" groups at 25 yards was the best I could get out of it. Often the groups would be 2,5-3". The other problem is the lever will not fit flush against the stock, in fact it goes from a half inch closest to the trigger and three quarters of an inch on the back. This makes it almost impossible to grip it properly when shooting in the off hand position.

The accuracy problem was easy to diagnose when I looked at it with my bore scope. the last .25" of the barrel had lines that ran 90 degrees to the bore and the lands were wider than the rest of the barrel.

Sent it to Henry and after a month they sent it back saying they had "adjusted the bore". I am not sure what adjusting the bore actually is so I asked Henry in a not so nice email but never received an answer, but it looks like they tried to fix the rifling in the last .25" of the barrel as it was shiny unlike the rest of the bore. The crown was rough and had some pieces or steel hanging on to the crown.

I put a scope on it and went to the range and the accuracy was a slightly better but not that much.

Henry about got it back but I decided to polish the crown and fire lap the bore to eliminate a tight spot about a quarter the back from the muzzle. At the range I couldn't believe the the difference at 25yds with three different types of ammo were about a half inch. It was a real problem getting this rifle to shoot but now all I have to do is figure out how to get the lever closer to the stock.

Both of my Henry"s have been project guns but with enough work you can get them to shoot.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:58 PM
tucsondirt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you sent the gun to Henry did you ask them to look at the lever action as well?
If so what did they say?
Pictures help as well so knowledgeable forum members may be able to help diagnose your problem.