69A front sight hood - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:33 AM
roysha

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
69A front sight hood

Was the sight hood on the 69A Target, unique to that model or was it the same as on some other models?
I'm looking to replace the missing one on my 69A Target and would like to keep it as correct as possible, even though it is only a shooter grade kinda gun. I would settle for a reproduction one, as long as it was correct.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:49 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is not a true target model, but it does have the peep sight with ramp front, and I used this one from Numrich: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/294550A. It fits and looks just fine.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:54 PM
HectorFuego
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The true 69A target models have a blade (shark fin) front sight and no hood ... unless it's been replaced.

Hector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 04:58 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
For the 97A and 101A front sights, the Model 69 used the #3280 sight cover which was the same cover as used on the 97B and 101B. Other models which used that same cover were the Model 68 (all), Model 47 with 80A rear peep, Model 72 with 80A rear peep, Model 67 with 96A rear peep and of course the Model 69A with 80A rear peep (which was not the "Target" model).

Hope that helps.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:57 PM
roysha

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
OK! Now I am officially confused. I was under the impression that the "Std" 69A came with a barrel mounted rear sight anda dovetailed front, the "Target came with the 80A receiver sight and the 3 piece front, and the "Match" came with the Lyman receiver sight and the "shark fin" front.

So my question is, I think that's what I want to know, what version do I have? It has the 80A receiver sight, no dovetail for rear sight, the 3 piece front sight, is grooved for scope mount, swept back bolt handle, marked Short, Long & Long Rifle and no sling studs.

My other 69A has the Lyman receiver sight with the deer on it, "shark fin" front, sling stud way up forward on the forearm a straight down bolt handle like a 69, is not grooved for scope and is marked Long Rifle, not S,L,& LR.

I'm beginning to think I have just a hodge-podge of parts assembled to resemble some sort of 69A. Nevertheless, I love them.

Last edited by roysha; 05-04-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:13 PM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I sure as heck don't know but it sounds like it's a great shooter.

With some photos though, I AM sure that Mr JWA could identify it for you positively.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:55 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysha View Post
OK! Now I am officially confused. I was under the impression that the "Std" 69A came with a barrel mounted rear sight anda dovetailed front, the "Target came with the 80A receiver sight and the 3 piece front, and the "Match" came with the Lyman receiver sight and the "shark fin" front.

So my question is, I think that's what I want to know, what version do I have? It has the 80A receiver sight, no dovetail for rear sight, the 3 piece front sight, is grooved for scope mount, swept back bolt handle, marked Short, Long & Long Rifle and no sling studs.

My other 69A has the Lyman receiver sight with the deer on it, "shark fin" front, sling stud way up forward on the forearm a straight down bolt handle like a 69, is not grooved for scope and is marked Long Rifle, not S,L,& LR.

I'm beginning to think I have just a hodge-podge of parts assembled to resemble some sort of 69A. Nevertheless, I love them.
Hi Roysha,

What you have is a G6901R Model 69A rifle with the 80A peep sight. It is often confused with the actual "Target" model which was catalog number G6940R.

Although they look similar, there are many subtle difference between the 2 models.

As mentioned earlier, the actual "Target" model has the 93B "shark fin" front sight, is chambered for .22 LR only (post WWII), has factory sling swivels and a stock with more drop at the comb.

The most common version of the 69A is what you called "standard", it is the G6902R and has the 32B barrel mounted open sight and 75C front sight.

Your other rifle with the Lyman 57 rear sight and 93B front sight is either a G694R Match rifle with a replaced stock (if there was no rear swivel) or as you suggested, a "hodge podge" of parts. Pictures would help.

There were SIXTEEN different cataloged models of the 69/69A and there is a great book specifically on the Model 69/69A which details all of these minute differences in the many versions of the 69/69A if you are interested in learning more.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Last edited by JWA; 05-04-2021 at 09:05 PM.