Red dot not cutting it. How well does the Primary Arms 22LR ACSS scope compare? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:05 AM
Jest6
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red dot not cutting it. How well does the Primary Arms 22LR ACSS scope compare?

I have peeps on my CZ's but my new, heavy barrel, 10-22 takedown does not have iron sights.

Over the Father's Day weekend I scored a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot on Amazon with rebate (I could not resist). It works fine at 25 yards on an A23/5 target. I can shoot out the middle of the bulls with a couple of different brands of ammo (Federal Gold Target, RWS and Eley Target). But at 50 yards, that all changes, especially in bright sunlight. That 50 yard A23 target is easy to see at 25 yards but the red dot gets a little blotchy at higher intensity and it is more red ink blot than dot, at least for my eyes, as the bullseye shrinks and the dot gets bigger and less distinct at 50 yards. It's kinda like adding a new "problem" that I can't resolve, unlike learning proper trigger or breathing control.

IMHO, the red dot will be fine for paper target shooting at 25-35 yards but at 50 yards, compared to my CZ452's with Brno peeps, not so hot. Great though for plinking at that distance. What I now need is a compact* scope. (Something that does not denigrate the "takedown" feature, and fits in the nice bag.

I've read several reviews of the Leaper/UTG Compact Bug Buster and now, the Primary Arms 6X with ACSS reticle. They are within about $25 of each other but are quite different in execution and perhaps quality. And I am very new to scopes having considered them as a last resort for target shooting (cheating! :0) But my 66 year old eyes are dictating to me almost as much as my bones and I now have to rethink/rationalize my old opinion of scopes. LOL

The etched reticle on the Primary Arms is unusual. First, it's etched, (that seems like positive feature) and I don't believe the Bug Buster's mil-dot, crosshair reticle is etched. Secondly, the style of the reticle is a combination of mil-dot, aperture and red dot (without the red part). I kinda like the "aperture" aspect as it gives a similar sight picture as my Brno peeps. (The reticle is shaped like a reversed question mark.)0 The graduated scale is more like the mil-dot, but the center "dot" is more like the red dot in that it obscures, rather then frames, the target center. Almost too many options?

So, who has used either of these scopes and has an opinion? (Gee, do folks here have opinions? LOL)

What about parallax with either of these? I almost got a left-over Thompson/Center "Hot Shot" scope at a local shop until I noted the parallax was set for 35 yards. (It was just 7" long!) But parallax adjustability would be nice.

I don't want to end up with a drawer full of things that white elephants. Know what I mean?

-Jesse

Last edited by Jest6; 07-01-2017 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 AM
Hacker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Primary Arms said on Instagram the other day that the parallax on the 6x was set at 100 yards. I was thinking about getting one before I read that.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Red dots can be very accurate, even at longer distances. I put a Burris FF3 on a Winchester 1886 lever gun in 45-70 and shot groups at 114yds (my deck to my backstop....private range) of five shots under 1.7". The thing is, you need the correct target to do it. I used a small paper plate and centered the dot in the middle. Doesn't seem precise, but it is. Lots of target shooters use similar tricks to use double aperture sight systems. It's not always the sight, it's also the target. Try your red dot this way and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
22Plinkster does a rimfire scope video on Youtube about a bunch of scopes and the Primary Arms is one of them. He liked it quite a bit. You may want to find and watch that video. Worth the time IMO. His videos are usually pretty good IMO.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 PM
98_1LE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Primary Arms said on Instagram the other day that the parallax on the 6x was set at 100 yards. I was thinking about getting one before I read that.
I use it from up close to 200 yards and have no issues where I feel AO would improve it. Actually I have used it to shoot steel @ 300 yards, but that is finding the right aiming point in the tree; not using the optics features.

Anyway, I am very happy with it. I'd pay a little more for better glass, for what it is, it is a raging bargain.

Note, the reticle is optimized for high velocity ammo like CCI Mini-Mags.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Jest6
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks one and all for your input.

I will try a change in target to see if that helps the red dot situation, as NoSecondBest suggested. I'll cut a template and paint appropriately sized white circles on butcher paper to start.

A number of reviewers have noted that the Primary Arms ACSS reticle is very small and hard to see on dark targets at distance yet they still rave about the performance. Sure wish I could take a look through one before opening the Scottish wallet. I don't know if the answer will be about the "Ayes" or the "Eyes".

I'll try a shot (more than one) at different colored targets first!

-Jesse