What are your three favourite books on the .22 rimfire? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:30 PM
spikey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What are your three favourite books on the .22 rimfire?

I thought this'd be an opportunity for us .22 enthusiasts to share their suggestions for the best books on the .22 rimfire. I've given three, because one is too few haha.

Some may have chapters on centrefire .22s, but all have as their main focus the .22 rimfire.

O.K., here goes...

In first place:

'Hunting with the Twenty-Two,' by Charles Singer Landis. This is a true classic. Although technically out of date regarding scopes, etc, it remains a great fireside book. In fact, if I could choose only one book to have, this'd be it. It's that good.

The runner-up is:

'The Book of the Twenty-two,' by Sam Fadala. Another great book, with technical topics sitting alongside entertaining anecdotes.

And, finally, in a very respectable third place:

'The Wonderful World of the .22,' by John Lachuk and the editors of Guns and Ammo. Again, an oldie (published in 1972), but a great read. I bought my copy last year online.

Last edited by spikey; 02-15-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Spikey, You've certainly managed to pick three of my favorites, particularly Sam Fadala's excellent tome. I will add two others: Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles by John Gyde and Roy Marcot, and The Winchester Model 52: Perfection in Design by Herbert Houze. I also just picked up a copy of another that shows promise: Rimfire Rifleman by Edwards Brown.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:37 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would add Walnutbills book to the list. Walnut and Steel vintage .22 rifles by Bill Ward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Jerryray, That's very kind of you. I'm glad to know you like it. It was a great pleasure doing the research, compiling, and writing it. I hope to have a Volume II out before too long. WB
Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 PM
spikey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi WalnutBill22,

I have a copy of the Edwards Brown book and it's a good read, although definitely aimed more towards target shooting. It's essentially a "how-to" guide to taking up .22 shooting, but written in the style of a narrative. Another Landis book is , of course, '.22 Caliber Rifle Shooting.' As you'd expect with Landis, it's another excellent read.

A book aimed at the beginner (and, although four decades old, it's still as relevant as ever) is 'The .22 Rifle,' by Field and Stream editor, David Petzal.

I'm sorry if I've broken the rules of my original post and now shared five titles instead of three, but perhaps three is too few..!?

P.S. I'll look out for your book. It's always heartening to see traditional craftsmanship is still appreciated. Apart from the Remington Nylon 66, I've always preferred walnut and steel to synthetic and stainless.

Last edited by spikey; 02-16-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:22 AM
spikey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't suppose anyone had read 'The Mighty .22 Rimfire,' by Rick L. Fines? I've been searching for a copy to add to my .22 book collection, but have had no joy so far. Is it similar to the John Lachuk book I referred to earlier?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 AM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi again Spikey, The Mighty .22 Rimfire is just one of the several magazine type books published by Guns and Ammo magazine. It was edited by Rick Fines and includes many good articles by such famous writers as Elmer Keith, John Lachuk, Clair Rees, and Jeff Cooper. Most of the articles were written by John Lachuk. One very interesting article by Howard French was my first exposure to the Remington 40X Sporter. At that time (1976), it sold for a whopping $500 and one had to wait 18 months to get it. By comparison, a Savage/Anschutz 54 Sporter sold for about $300 and a Remington 541S was about $170.
Another excellent issue was the 1972 version: Wonderful World of the .22, also mostly by John Lachuk. There were several others produced by Guns and Ammo, coming out about every four years. The last really good one I have was published in 2009. I picked up the latest one at a newsstand a few weeks ago, but put it back down very quickly. It was geared mostly toward the tactical crowd and had more advertising than articles.
You might try checking ebay or Amazon, and if you can't find one at a half-way reasonable price, PM me and I'll loan you mine.
By the way, although this one's about .22 ammo, it's an invaluable resource: The Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition by Steven Boelter. I think it's still in print.
Best Regards, WB
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM
MN22LRFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition by Steven Boelter, RFC member and ANA executive. Extensive testing of all rimfire ammo available at the time, 2005 timeframe, and all aspects of accurate ammo and rifles.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Francis Sell, "the art of small game hunting". I have mine from the 70's. Still good info.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 PM
spikey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi WalnutBill22,

I've been trying for a while to track down a copy of the Fines book. I'll keep looking, but I'll have to decline your wonderfully generous offer to lend me your copy - I live in New Zealand, and am probably as far away from the U.S. as it's possible to get, without going to the Antarctic! Thank you , though.

Spikey.

Last edited by spikey; 02-17-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
ive got a handful , but im not any good at ranking , each offers their own info , i use my british trainer book more than any others ,
Old 02-17-2016, 03:12 AM
spikey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi A Square 10,

Don't worry about rankings. Any suggestions you may have regarding rimfire books would be appreciated!
Old 02-17-2016, 04:42 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I remember those annuals published by G&A and Peterson's Hunting . . .

. . . some very good articles posted in them.

I had forgotten about the Rick Fine's magazine, I need to do a search of my own.

Gun Show books has many titles, I've ordered from them with excellent results. I can't say they have the best price, but they are there if you want them bad enough.

http://www.gunshowbooks.com/cgi-bin/...e/st_main.html
Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
One that needs to be on this list is, The Art Of Rimfire Accuracy by Bill Calfee.
Most likely the best book written dealing with what it takes to make these rimfires shoot and win. A pleasure to read.

Glen H
Old 02-18-2016, 01:29 PM
VARimfireGuy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Mr. WalnutBill22,

I am excited to hear you are doing another book on 22s. I will watch for it!