Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:07 PM
easyPZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My 39A mountie's first cleaning

I recently bought a 39a Mountie from gunbroker so I didn't get examine it first hand. Anyway, it arrives and the exterior looks great for a 50 year old gun. The action felt dirty, and it was very dirty internally.

I wanted to cycle a few rounds to check feeding/extracting. It wasn't probably the best idea, but loaded a couple 22lr rounds into the magazine tube and cycled the action. The first round fed into the chamber and about halfway in, it got stuck. When it stuck, I stopped trying to push it. Then, I had to insert a rod through the muzzle end to free the round. At this point I realized I needed to check the chamber and bore.

The bore was so fouled that I couldn't see any rifling, only a layer of dark crud. Well, hoppes#9, about a million patches, and a bronze brush took care of that. The bore is now shiny with nicely defined spiraling microgrooves. However, there are a few "specks/fouling" that wouldn't come off just forward of the chamber. I might try to take a picture, but I'm not sure it would turn out because of the small space.

I have come to the conclusion that this rifle was used exclusively to shoot 22 shorts and was never cleaned (or wasn't cleaned for a VERY long time). This allowed the fouling the build up in the chamber effectively shortening the chamber. Because the 22lr case is longer, the bullet got jammed in the chamber when I tried to insert it. Lesson learned. Anyway this is my cool story (bro).

ETA: In case you're wondering, 22lr feeds and extracts very nicely now.

Last edited by easyPZ; 06-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:55 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
The remaining fouling might come out after shooting and the cleaning while the bore is warm, but they probably won't be an issue.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM
easyPZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
The remaining fouling might come out after shooting and the cleaning while the bore is warm, but they probably won't be an issue.
That's what came to mind also. I'll shoot it this weekend to see how it performs.