Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark II BTVS

This followed me home today. Sweet little bolt action 22, these are suppose to be really accurate. Popped out back and made the little metal pig swing consistently at 60yds. I'll have to check it on paper when I get time. The trigger is amazing.
Its got a 6-18x40SP Simmons Scope, not a great scope but I'll give it a chance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200531_171912.jpg (529.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20200531_171953.jpg (527.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-01-2020, 08:23 AM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Wait until you swap out the trigger spring and take that trigger down to 12-14oz........

I have one that has a tight spot 1/2 down the barrel that leads up but the others were tack drivers from the getgo. The barrels are a bit ruff so yours may be to. If it is you may want to polish the barrel a little so it will break in better without being prone to leading.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Mine had a tight spot in the barrel about three inches behind the crown. I wound up dealing with it in a most direct manner:

Eventually had a new barrel put on the action, upgraded the trigger with an Apachee kit, dropped it into a Boyd's stock. Here it is before the barrel swap:

I really like the trigger and the rifle can do nice things from the bench at 50 yards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 11:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Couldn't find anything online on date of manufacture for these Mark II's. This one has a serial that starts with 200, anyone have any Idea the date of manufacture?

This is a heavy little beast, pick it up for well under 3 bills, couldn't pass it up. What's not to love SS bull barrel, laminate stock and Accu-trigger. I didn't use to be much of a Savage fan, but after I got my Model 110 Wolverine in 450 BM with the Accu-Trigger and Accu-stock I became a believer, its a one of my favorite guns.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:21 PM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the left hand version (BTVLS) and love it. I have only tried Federal and CCI ammo in mine. It does really well at 50 and 85 yards with CCI Mini Mags. The local conservation range only goes to 85 yards.

I ended up getting a Rhineland Leopard stock for it since the factory Boyds stock is too low to get a good cheek weld when using a scope (at least for me). I've been seriously considering a chassis stock for it. I've been looking at the McRees G10 chassis. There are others available but most do not come with a stock or stock adaptor (buffer tube) and by the time you add everything they are close to the same price as the McRees.

Last edited by 12Bravo; 06-01-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:06 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wand a left hand rifle with a right hand or amby stock.

Iím right handed but I find going half way to lefty works best for me.
Example : I go fishing with lefty reals and Iím able to cast/real better than using a right handed real.

I shoot fine right handed but want to cycle the bolt with my left hand so I donít have let go of the rifle to cycle the bolt or load a round when using a single shot.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 06-02-2020, 06:37 AM
12Bravo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Peashooter,

Then you want something like the Boyds At One or Pro Varmint or similar from your favorite stock maker.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog357 View Post
Couldn't find anything online on date of manufacture for these Mark II's. This one has a serial that starts with 200, anyone have any Idea the date of manufacture?

This is a heavy little beast, pick it up for well under 3 bills, couldn't pass it up. What's not to love SS bull barrel, laminate stock and Accu-trigger. I didn't use to be much of a Savage fan, but after I got my Model 110 Wolverine in 450 BM with the Accu-Trigger and Accu-stock I became a believer, its a one of my favorite guns.
Mine has a serial that starts with 109. If memory is right I bought it new around 2006-2008. I put a Vortex scope on and it's a tack driver. Otherwise it's completely stock with the trigger adjusted to the lightest pull. They made a change later where the barrel steps down from the receiver. That may help ID yours. The step on mine is 15-3/4" from the tip of the barrel.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 AM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
Peashooter,

Then you want something like the Boyds At One or Pro Varmint or similar from your favorite stock maker.

That was what I was thinking.

Now to find a lefty 455 and mark II.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:31 PM
12Bravo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
That was what I was thinking.

Now to find a lefty 455 and mark II.

You will probably have better luck finding the last hand Savage way before you find a left hand CZ, at least when it comes to new rifles. I have read on several forums about CZ not making anymore left hand rimfire rifles.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:28 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well it looks like CZ just told all you left handed guys to kiss my grits, OH WAITE that's me too.

John
Old 06-02-2020, 03:52 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickridger View Post
Well it looks like CZ just told all you left handed guys to kiss my grits, OH WAITE that's me too.

John

Iím not a lefty! He! He!heeeeeeh!!!!!!!!

Iím right side dominant but find some things left handed work better for certain things, or a combination of right/left.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 PM
12Bravo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The perfect rifle for me would be a left hand bolt with right hand ejection so that I could see into the chamber without tilting the rifle. Most of my shooting now days is from the bench. Maybe someday if I win the lottery, I'll have a 22 built like that for me.

I have two Savage MkII rifles with the varmint barrel and both are very accurate. I have an older MkII GVL in 17m2 (pre e-receiver) and a newer MkII BTVLSS in 22lr. They both go well with my Savage Model 12 FVL in 308.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
I’m not a lefty! He! He!heeeeeeh!!!!!!!!

I’m right side dominant but, find some things left handed work better for certain things, or a combination of right/left.

Are you left eye dominant?

Many right handers that are left eye dominant find things like throwing or shooting pool is better left handed as your aim and alignment is much easier to achieve precisely.

With a rifle, the alternative to shooting with your dominant eye is to occlude the dominant eye with frosted tape on your shooting glasses and shoot in your dominant position. That way you are sighting with the aligned eye and operating the trigger with your dominant hand.

As a junior rifle coach, we would have new students try both shooting with the dominant eye in a non-dominant position and non-dominant eye is their dominant position to see which worked best for them.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:36 AM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark II BTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Are you left eye dominant?

Many right handers that are left eye dominant find things like throwing or shooting pool is better left handed as your aim and alignment is much easier to achieve precisely.

With a rifle, the alternative to shooting with your dominant eye is to occlude the dominant eye with frosted tape on your shooting glasses and shoot in your dominant position. That way you are sighting with the aligned eye and operating the trigger with your dominant hand.

As a junior rifle coach, we would have new students try both shooting with the dominant eye in a non-dominant position and non-dominant eye is their dominant position to see which worked best for them.

I will shoot and sight with my dominant eye/hand and operate/cycle the bolt and feed the rifle with my non dominant hand.

This way I donít have to let go of and then acquire my sight picture between rounds or mags. While shooting my left hand does nothing while my right hand dose everything.

If I have to let go of my rifle with my right hand for every shot then you canít shoot the next round without the setup as a whole being unsettled between each shot and time consumed to get everything back to position.

If all my rifles had flat bottom stocks like my dedicated purpose built bench/target gun then most of my issues are negated. Even though most of my guns will ride bags or a rest fairly well I feel they still get moved around to much from my need to let go of the rifle with my right hand to cycle the bolt and feed another round into the rifle.

Shooting right handed with a left handed bolt handle my eye will remain at the ocular and my right hand will remain holding the wrist of the stock for stability. I will then be able to use my left eye/hand to operate the bolt and feed the gun without moving the gun with my right shoulder/eye trying to do all this with my right hand.

I want to do at least one lefty bolt gun as a right dominant shooter.

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 06-03-2020 at 10:54 AM.