Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wood pellet grill?

I'm tired of replacing burners every couple of years, on a Propane grill. I am looking into getting a new grill that uses wood pellets for fuel.

Anybody have any experience with these type of grills?

thanx
Old 05-28-2020, 07:35 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
No direct experience but have done years of casual research.
The new Weber center feeder looks really interesting because the fire actually happens in the grill area, not off to one side ala Traeger. Pricey though.
I saw a review on it on You Tube by an award winning BBQ chef and he liked it a lot.
I have a big old BBQ's Galore smoker that has a grill in the firebox so I can grill or smoke, but am getting to the point of maybe wanting something more hands off like the Weber or a Traeger.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:25 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I have cooked on several and won't mention names.. hate to badmouth.
BEST on the market right now is the Camp Chef Woodwind.. nun beda Controls better, heats better more evenly, clean out is a breeze..on and on I could go.. AND, the attachments (right side) are numerous and I especially like the Sidekick and/or the Sear Box.. Searing either before or after with that thing is fantastic! Yes it's $pendy .. worth every penny!

https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet...nd-grills.html

Great vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctasGkxohP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUPFgqKuI24

Last edited by Chaser; 05-28-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have a Camp Chef also.
Use the smoker function a lot.
Family has Treagers too.
Mine is easier to clean but they all cook the same.
Some are very proud of there name.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just replaced my 20 year old Weber propane grill. I think I may have replaced the burners once? Maybe not. The grill was kept covered all the time when not in use. It was cleaned every spring with the burners brushed with a soft wire brush. The old grill still had the burners working OK, but the lid and body was rusting out. Bought a new Genesis II. Seems nice.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:03 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Purchased a new Traeger grill this spring. Cooks well in a reasonable amount of time with good flavor. It is easy to clean and is well finished. Being the cheap fellow I am I bought the lower end model on sale ($100 off) so not all the extras. I have used it a lot already since it is so easy to use and I really like it. The only fault I find with this model is it comes up short in searing ability.

John
Old 05-29-2020, 04:58 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pellet grills are more for smoking and slow cooking. They dont get hot enough to sear steaks and burgers. Thats why Camp Chef sells their $200 sear add on. It works. I had one for a couple years, but still prefer my charcoal and wood drum smoker for best flavor. For steaks and burgers it's the Weber kettle every time..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2020, 05:30 AM
cranky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My cookshack pg500 will turn your steak into charcoal in about a minute if you wanted to.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:19 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
As mentioned a few times here most wont get hot enough to really seat something, however I have found that they do a really good job. Unless you are super picky about your grilling or bbq I think they are a pretty great idea. Iíve eaten plenty cooked on them and it was plenty tasty and far and away the easiest method of grilling or bbq.

That being said I could never make myself buy one. I have an xl and mini kamado and a large bge and those are what I use for grilling or bbq and I love them.
Iron
Old 05-30-2020, 08:04 PM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been running a Traeger pellet "oven" for about 6 years as a replacement to my propane grill and supplement to my Weber 22" Kettle.

I really like the Traeger but keep in mind, it runs more like a smoker or oven than a grill. The top temperature is 425 to 450 F, so getting a hard sear on meat is not possible. It does a great job for slow smoking at 180F, and baking at 200-450. And the pellet costs are about what you would spend on charcoal.

I like the reverse sear approach. Put the steaks, 2"+ thick cut, on the Traeger on smoke for about 30 to 60 min. I like Oak pellets. Then sear the steaks on the Webber over hardwood coals at ~~600F. If needed, back on the Traeger at 400F to bring to final Medium Rare temp.

I will never go back to propane after getting the Traeger.

I did mod my Traeger to work out some issues. I lined the fire box with fire bricks to help moderate the temperatures. Overall, it works pretty good now.

Watch for Traeger at Costco...it is hard to beat their price during a Road Show. The Bass Pro pellet grills sure look like they might be made by Traeger and their prices are pretty good too.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 05-30-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:38 PM
zenaca
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a used Traeger off Craigslist about 4 years ago, it sits right next to the propane grill I no longer use, I should give that thing away ,the grill that is.

We use the Traeger about 3 days a week all year long, just after I got it Walmart was having a seasonal clearance on pellets so I bought a ton pallet of them, still have about 20 bags left. As I recall I paid $2.75 a bag that's why I bought a whole pallet.

Yes it does not sear but it still makes the best flavor food out there ,juicy and tender. Doesn't really matter the brand . Find one you like and can afford. Check Craigslist.

The wife especially loves when I make bacon wrapped asparagus on it.

Last edited by zenaca; 05-30-2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add content
Old 05-30-2020, 08:49 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for the replies; I will do more research.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i think you need to do some research on what you want to do.

There are BBQ/Grills, smokers and the burning units that off to the side (indirect). Way different ways of cooking.

Those BBQ/Grills that you cook over and get all of the gunk may require cleaning/replacment after time. You can look for units that have a shield over the burners that protects it from anything dripping.

But also from what ive seen, some are not made to last long.

if you have access to DTV or cable, check out his shows if you want/can....

https://barbecuebible.com/barbecue-university/

This guy goes over alot of various units in his shows. But i would figure out what type of cooking you want to do and go from there.

Some of my friends are hard core BBQ/Smokers and have various units. I dont think any of them has just 1 type of unit either.

A good friend started with a really nice BBQ/Grill (direct). But after figuring out (researching) what he really wanted to do, he ended up with a side burning unit - indirection cooking. But he would start it around 0800 or so and by 1600~1800 would end up with the final product. Unfortunately i never stayed there long enough or arrived at the right time to taste his labors, but i do know from others they were tasty and fall off teh bone tender.

If you have any friends that cook using the various methods or using methods you dont use, then i would ask for some samples and see how the process works.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:36 PM
Skeetnowrimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Smokin brotherís pellet grill for 5 years . https://smokinbrothers.com/premier-plus-grills/
Very happy with it. The model we have has the insulated firebox that helps when using in the winter. Their pellets are the best for any pellet smoker. They are 100% of what ever type of wood such as mesquite or cherry. Most other pellets may only have 30% or the flavor wood mixed in with other woods.

I like medium rare steaks and my wife wants well done. I put both on at the same time and when one is about 135 I take it off and put it on a plate and wait till hers gets to 160. Then I throw both on a gas grill for about 3 min per side to sear them and they are both hot and ready at the same time. Grate flavor color and texture.