Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 PM
newfiebullet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
new 597 shooting poorly....crown?

Just bought a new 597 with the green stock and 16.5 heavy barrel. Took it to the range and the results were pretty disappointing. Tried several different brands of ammo from cci standard to sk rifle match. I had one of these before and it shot great. I took a pick of the carbon around the crown and its not very uniform. Could this be the issue?
http://pasteboard.co/Jax27Hy.jpg
Old 05-29-2020, 08:06 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its hard to tell from the glare but, It's difficult seeing any points of a star pattern. How many rounds thru it?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:38 AM
Chris597
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a tough question since so many factors. Here would be my list of things to check

Clean gun and barrel.
Make sure barrel bolt is tight enough
Make sure barrel isn’t touching stock
Make sure scope isn’t loose

Bad barrel would be down the list but it happens and I actually had a factory new bad barrel. Barrels are available on eBay if it comes to trying to test that route.

Last edited by Chris597; 05-30-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 10:28 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree there is not a defined star at the crown, but that barrel looks pretty bad to me. When was it cleaned last?
Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Its hard to tell from the glare but, It's difficult seeing any points of a star pattern. How many rounds thru it?
ETA- I ask because its hard to tell if there are enough rds thru it for a star pattern to develop.
Got any Eley ammo lying around?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:42 PM
newfiebullet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the rifle is brand new. That was my first range session with it. Probably put 50 to 60 rounds through it. I tried cci std velocity, cci mini mag, sk rifle match, eley sport, aquila standard velocity, rws target rifle, federal automatch, It all shot poorly. Best group was probably cci std velocty at around 2 inches, worst was sk rifle match at about 4 inches.
It was cleaned and gone over before taking it to the range. Everything was tight, except spring guides. It ran perfectly but the accuracy wasn't there. The last one of these rifles that I had (same model) would print 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards.
The carbon ring at the muzzle looks off to me but I can't see any obvious issue when looking at the crown. I'll try it again at the range and if nothing improves probably send it off to remington repair to see what they say.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiebullet View Post
the rifle is brand new. That was my first range session with it. Probably put 50 to 60 rounds through it. I tried cci std velocity, cci mini mag, sk rifle match, eley sport, aquila standard velocity, rws target rifle, federal automatch, It all shot poorly. Best group was probably cci std velocty at around 2 inches, worst was sk rifle match at about 4 inches.
It was cleaned and gone over before taking it to the range. Everything was tight, except spring guides. It ran perfectly but the accuracy wasn't there. The last one of these rifles that I had (same model) would print 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards.
The carbon ring at the muzzle looks off to me but I can't see any obvious issue when looking at the crown. I'll try it again at the range and if nothing improves probably send it off to remington repair to see what they say.
An appropriate brass screw in a drill with 600 grit polishing compound done correctly is a good DIY project. Should be some how-to utubes out there. My 597 was the very first one I did and went so well have done all my firearms with less than perfect crowns. If that doesn't fix it your barrel may be a dud.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:59 AM
tickridger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like the others I do not like the deposit pattern on the barrel end and would find the crown to be suspect. Al is on the right track I think. This brass screw recrown is cheap and likely to be successful with nothing to lose but time.

John
Old 06-12-2020, 01:11 PM
newfiebullet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The gun is brand new so I opened a service ticket with Remington. Worried that if I mess with the crown and it doesn't improve, they may not warranty it.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiebullet View Post
The gun is brand new so I opened a service ticket with Remington. Worried that if I mess with the crown and it doesn't improve, they may not warranty it.
Hopefully they do it right for you.
That said factory crowns and chambers of many different firearms makers are often done by idiots with worn out reamers and reamer guides after the bore is hammered out in what are otherwise fine weapons IME.