Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:55 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A little compassion.

Not sure what the female coyote was thinking. She was standing in the same place several minutes. Long enough for me to run back in the house, open the safe, get out the american 22 mag and take careful aim. She heard me. She knew I was there. It was one trigger squeeze from death. I looked at the animal, could have picked my shot placement in the ribs or behind the head. I couldn't miss..... I could see the female had pups someplace. Her teats were hanging down. So I taught her a lesson and sent a shot over her back. Don't stand around waiting for humans to shoot you in the back of the head! Coyotes are normally much more warry than that and stray far away from people.

I left her plenty of food today with all the nut munching ground squirrels that didn't get the same pass. At least the coyotes help out with the mice. Now if this one becomes a nuisance, I may change my mind next time I see her but she got to live another day and go feed her pups. rc
Old 05-25-2020, 03:05 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Beastly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nothing wrong with a little compassion.....once in a while!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 06:24 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are certain times of the year where it's better to forego that shot, knowing that a litter is going to slowly starve if you take it. It's difficult for me to shoot coyotes anyway, looking too much like a dog. As long as the population isn't out-of-whack and destroying other wildlife, I leave 'em be.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:56 AM
beer1234

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I stopped pulling the trigger on live things 25 years ago. I wish I could call back every bullet I sent an animals way. I watched the life drain from the eyes too many times. Thanks for letting that one go.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:54 AM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer1234 View Post
I stopped pulling the trigger on live things 25 years ago. I wish I could call back every bullet I sent an animals way. I watched the life drain from the eyes too many times. Thanks for letting that one go.
me too
Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Old 05-25-2020, 10:19 AM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Also Have only intentionally killed one critter in the past 50+ years (doesn't count skeeters and ticks and horse flies and Copperheads): a mortally wounded squirrel - courtesy of our neighbor's cat - whose spine had been severed. It was a mercy killing for sure, but more painful than most things I've done in my life.

I have a .223 bolt gun reserved for dispatching a KNOWN rabid critter. Hope to never use it for that purpose.

On the plus side, yesterday I rescued a young (not baby) rabbit from one of our barn cats. It was in her mouth and she was laying down in the barn aisle with it under her. Very much alive and terrified. I chased our barn cat away from it, picked it up, and carried it 400' away from the barn to a place near our house - where our barn cats very seldom go. It was in my hand/arm, legs moving (no spinal injuries), seemingly happy for the ride as it didn't attempt to jump away, and when I placed it under a forsythia bush in our yard, sat there for a bit and then went further into the bush. Best feeling I've had in a long time!
Old 05-25-2020, 12:01 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Nine years ago I took my last buck and immediately wondered why I had shot him. I had made a deal with myself that I would only take a wall hanger and had hunted that way for about five years before taking the spike. It was the last animal I have taken and like others wish I had stopped years before.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I like the story and definitely nothing wrong with a little compassion given the situation. That being said there's nothing wrong with hunting for people who get enjoyment out of it.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:59 PM
beer1234

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is a necessity to keep balance for a multitude of reasons. I thank those for doing something I cannot and keeping the world in balance.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your kindness. Not having to deal with mice, rats, and snakes is the way she will repay you. I don't hunt anymore but have no problem with those that do.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:58 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah the older I get, I think the more valuable all life seems to be. I have Hunted alot in my younger days. But now I no longer do it. I will if it comes to my starvation vs the animals Life or defense of my propriety or Family.. But anymore I find it even hard to kill a Walleye when I catch them. Those Walleye are so dumb, I look into their sad eyes and am just compelled to leave em be,LOL

Nothing wrong with people who do hunt, as long as it is for Food more than the "Sport" side of things. Never saw any good in the people who just shoot things to kill for the "fun" of it. Unless the Coyote was endangering I, my family or Livestock or appeared Rabid. I see no sense in just shooting it just because you can.

Last edited by carbineone; 05-25-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:32 PM
beer1234

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Yeah the older I get, I think the more valuable all life seems to be. I have Hunted alot in my younger days. But now I no longer do it. I will if it comes to my starvation vs the animals Life or defense of my propriety or Family.. But anymore I find it even hard to kill a Walleye when I catch them. Those Walleye are so dumb, I look into their sad eyes and am just compelled to leave em be,LOL

Nothing wrong with people who do hunt, as long as it is for Food more than the "Sport" side of things. Never saw any good in the people who just shoot things to kill for the "fun" of it. Unless the Coyote was endangering I, my family or Livestock or appeared Rabid. I see no sense in just shooting it just because you can.
Yup.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:15 PM
SLS

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post

Wisdom there. The older I get, the more respect I have for life.