Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:50 AM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 62 or 62a?? Help!

Hi all, started to get into vintage guns a couple years ago and have focused more on revolvers and woodsmans. I had an opportunity to acquire a Winchester model 62 with serial numbers matching. The barrel is marked 62 with no “a” but it appears to have the larger slide grip which I read was a feature of the 62a model. This gun looks to me to be 100% original an not tampered with so a slide replacement seems unlikely but I am an untrained eye. Can I get some assistance on understanding this rifle? Was it a transition rifle of sorts? The serial number is 1848xx. Also, the condition seems excellent with very minimal bluing wear on sharp edges of the gun. Not sure what I should rate the condition of the gun. The wood is excellent as well with only a few blemishes here or there.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Kestrel4k
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Hello,
You had me curious about your S/N# 184,8xx
So I looked up my Win62A (same slide as your rifle), its S/N is 114,7xx (corresponding to 1940 production).

You can see pics of it here;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/etbldl9842..._7473.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3avd62fwi..._7477.JPG?dl=0
(the second pic shows the "62A" stamping)

I'm certainly no expert on the history of these rifles, and will be interested to see what other more knowledgeable folks will say.

Best regards,

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 05-17-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:23 PM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More pictures if that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 02:38 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are there any screw heads on the bottom tang of this rifle (except for the through screw holding the stock in the tang)? If there are screw heads then the rifle has a flat mainspring and is a Model 62. If there are no screw heads then the rifle has a coil main spring and is a Model 62A.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just checked a the only screw is the one that holds the stock to the receiver. No screws on the bottom tang. So I have a 62a that was marked incorrectly at the factory? Is that common? Also, I need some experienced eyes to give opinions on condition. To me it looks almost pristine, but I understand that a more trained eye can grade it more accurately than me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27D6FE69-86E6-4641-95D4-197533C751AE_1589746476992.jpg (382.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Could have been using up old barrels under the waste not/want not theory, could have been rebarreled, or could have been mismarked. Part of the charm.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:29 AM
CJS57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many 1000's made like that. As mentioned they were using up older barrels from the stock room.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:35 AM
dibop
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take the stock off and see which screw is in there.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:53 AM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS57 View Post
Many 1000's made like that. As mentioned they were using up older barrels from the stock room.
Funny how there are many anomalies like that with these old guns. I am now wondering if that has a negative effect on the value. I was not "looking" for a winchester 62 but I stumbled upon someone selling this and they were asking less than 4 1/2 bills so I knew enough to know that I could not go wrong buying it. Looked like someone who inherited it and is not interested in guns and not wanting to do any legwork to sell it for top dollar. Just looking for a quick sell and I accommodated him. I bought this one and two others that I plan to sell down the road to recoup my money I have into this 62 (62A?)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:53 AM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the muzzle crowned or cut off straight? Original 62 barrels were cut off straight.
Is the comb of the stock rounded or fairly sharply shaped. The 62A butt stocks had gently rounded combs. Is there a reenforcing collar on the end of the magazine tube? Original 62s had the reenforcing collar until 1935.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:55 AM
2152hq

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one that's set up like that. It's a 62A (coil mainspring--no extra screws on the lower tang), matching ser#'s upper and lower.
But the bbl has 'Mod 62' marking on it.

Not nearly as nice condition as yours though!

They shoot just as good no matter if the 'A' is there or not.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:57 PM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2152hq View Post
I have one that's set up like that. It's a 62A (coil mainspring--no extra screws on the lower tang), matching ser#'s upper and lower.
But the bbl has 'Mod 62' marking on it.

Not nearly as nice condition as yours though!

They shoot just as good no matter if the 'A' is there or not.
so there are more out there like mine!! haha. I figured this has probably happened enough times that it is not that rare. I am convinced that it is exactly as how it left the factory because the numbers match, the bluing matches, the wood matches, etc. It is not likely that this is a frankengun.

Yes, the next thing I need to evaluate is condition.... It is not new or unfired, but it definitely looks to be in "collector" condition to the point where I may just shoot it once in a great while and let it sit and become more collectible. I am still just trying to figure out what I have and if it is too collectible to shoot or if there are tons of them in this condition and I should just enjoy. Either way, I try to respect examples that I come across in great condition. I don't want to be careless and destroy a survivor.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:15 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As old 39 indicates, you have a model 62A, since the defining characteristic is the type of mainspring....flat for a 62 and a coil spring for the 62A....easily identified by the number of screws in the bottom tang. I think it was in 1939 that Winchester began the changes from the 62 to the 62A. These changes included changing the mainspring, changing the shape of the forearm, changing the hammer from checkered to grooved, ending the tapping of the upper tang for a tang sight, and so on. There were a total of four forearm styles made beginning with the smaller prewar forearm, going through two larger round forearms, and ending with the flat bottomed forearm.

As indicated, these changes were not abrupt but occurred over a period of several years with Winchester utilizing existing older parts until they ran out. In other words, yours is an example of a transition gun.

James
Old 05-18-2020, 02:32 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
[...] I think it was in 1939 that Winchester began the changes from the 62 to the 62A. These changes included changing the mainspring, changing the shape of the forearm, changing the hammer from checkered to grooved, ending the tapping of the upper tang for a tang sight, and so on. [...]
That's neat to know, thanks; my 1940 M62A has the checkered hammer of the M62.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:40 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billburrfan View Post
so there are more out there like mine!! haha. I figured this has probably happened enough times that it is not that rare. I am convinced that it is exactly as how it left the factory because the numbers match, the bluing matches, the wood matches, etc. It is not likely that this is a frankengun.

Yes, the next thing I need to evaluate is condition.... It is not new or unfired, but it definitely looks to be in "collector" condition to the point where I may just shoot it once in a great while and let it sit and become more collectible. I am still just trying to figure out what I have and if it is too collectible to shoot or if there are tons of them in this condition and I should just enjoy. Either way, I try to respect examples that I come across in great condition. I don't want to be careless and destroy a survivor.
Pull the magazine tube and check the bbl. date on the bottom near the receiver. That will tell you when the bbl. was made. Big Larry