Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What Did You Find, Girl? - Part II

... Uh, O! I quickly shoulder my rifle, draw and cock my Single Six, bringing it to the ready. As I crest the rise, quickening my pace, I see a small patch where the hayfield hadn't grown as high and at it's edge I see the top of a dark curved black back. Another step, sights on target, there's a huge angry raccoon, about 3/4th her size, snarling at Eika. She's still locked on point. She's on all four with her front legs extended, her head low, her tail bolt up right and with all her bright white teeth showing.

They're about six feet apart locked up nose to nose with neither budging. I have a clear 10 to 12 yard shot with three bright firesight dots lined up in the raccoons wide eyes. I do not want Eika or the Raccoon to go at it. And, I'm worried how my arrival will change the standoff. In a low as I can go voice I say, "No." Eika, moves her right paw back about an inch. At that, Mr. Raccoon calculated the odds just tipped way out of his favor and bolted into the tall grass to his right. Of course Eika takes off after him as I move to intercept and give her a "WHOA!" On this command she hesitates, turns her head cocked to the right, ears up, with a "Are you nuts?" look on her face, and takes off into the hay trying to relocate the raccoon.

I could see that my interference worked as Eika went bounding off to the left and the wake of parting grass of Mr. Raccoon was making a sight-line path towards the woods.

Last edited by Bradical; 05-06-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am glad this story ended well. Especially for Elka. I have seen two dogs killed by large male raccoons. One was in water and the raccoon drowned the dog. The other was a rat terrier that was outclassed in a stand up fight.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:05 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
That's evidence of effective training! My dog ascribes to the "nose goes ON, ears go OFF" mantra. . . Glad it turned out well in your case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 10:21 AM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Racoon.

Nailed it!

Old 05-06-2020, 10:25 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaVettes View Post
Racoon.

Nailed it!

You did!

Actually, I was surprised more didn't. I guess they were thinking more about were they hunt (or what terrifies them most - Pelosicat ) rather than farms in South Eastern Pennsylvania.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes! FALPhil, I was very relieved she and that very large raccoon didn't tangle. That raccoon could have done a lot of damage in a very short time. What took me minutes to type happened in under 2 seconds in the field once I had a sight picture. On the moment that raccoon took off, all the little bit of take up on my Single Six trigger was gone and I had just exhaled. The next half-beat was going to be - !

Eika finds all kinds of neat stuff. Some things she needs a little more encouragement to retrieve rather then play keep away - "NO! BAD DOG!" - When she runs away. When she finally decides it would be best to "Come!" she's heavily praised and gets treats. I'm not sure that she's convinced which treat is better though. The leg bone or the mini-milk bones.

Last edited by Bradical; 05-06-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
That's evidence of effective training! My dog ascribes to the "nose goes ON, ears go OFF" mantra. . . Glad it turned out well in your case.
She's getting there. A little bit at a time. She hates "hiding" even after I think she's tuckered out. Any longer than 10 minutes and she starts whining. Silly girl. She makes for a terrible groundhog hunting partner. Darting off and chasing them all back down in their holes. But to her credit, she did find several holes I had missed and marked for next time.

Here she is whining at me again to get up and get going

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-06-2020, 11:49 AM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Yes! FALPhil, I was very relieved she and that very large raccoon didn't tangle. That raccoon could have done a lot of damage in a very short time. What took me minutes to type happened in under 2 seconds in the field once I had a sight picture.
I am glad that everything worked out fine. I really enjoyed your story and the suspense of part I and part II. You should write more.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:08 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
She's getting there. A little bit at a time. She hates "hiding" even after I think she's tuckered out. Any longer than 10 minutes and she starts whining. Silly girl. She makes for a terrible groundhog hunting partner. Darting off and chasing them all back down in their holes. But to her credit, she did find several holes I had missed and marked for next time.

Here she is whining at me again to get up and get going

[IMG][/IMG]
Cutie pie . . .
Old 05-06-2020, 03:56 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Racoon Story

When I was a boy on the family farm in Maryland, (a long, long time ago in a state far, far away),
we had a Collie and German Shepard mix.

He had a personal ‘search and destroy’ policy on all mammal Immigration onto the farm ---
although as friendly as could be, he was also quite the fighter and just absolute instant death to groundhogs!

One day we heard this gawd-awful commotion coming from the barn haymow.

When I finally found him, he was in a standoff in a very tight space against a great-big-rear-ended raccoon.

Growling, hissing, barking, snarling, spitting, you-name-the-noise, they were making it --- and it was loud!

Both combatants were nearing exhausting, but I think Brownie was closer to being in real trouble because it was hot in the barn and he had a heavy coat.

Anyhow, the raccoon was, uh, dispatched and we gave Brownie a big long drink and he layed down on the porch and didn’t move for about a day.

So your mentioning hissing was my clue to said intruder being a raccoon!

They can hiss!

Don

PS My, Eika, what a big tongue you have!

Old 05-06-2020, 07:41 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Beautiful dog you have there.

Mals
Old 05-15-2020, 02:58 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
My Grandparents had a collie shepard mix. He hated raccoons and had several epic battles that ended badly for the raccoon and the dog got some severe bites and claw cuts on his snout and front legs. He would tree the raccoons at night and my Grandad would shoot them with the old Remington 511 .22LR. He would not allow anyone else to shoot the raccoon because if not instant death the fight was on.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You did!

Actually, I was surprised more didn't.
Guess I haven't been around coons enough cause I never heard one hiss that I remember. Maybe their ferocious growling overwhelmed my memories. They're some badazz customers thats for sure.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was out yesterday morning in a different location, about 8 miles away, trying to do my best to make like a turkey hen and came across these tracks. Looks like there are some more big coons lurking around here too.

[IMG][/IMG]