Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:46 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Competition Obsessional Ammunition Artists

Most here I think (I could be wrong) are using the typical sporting rifles with dreams of getting one hole groups at 600 yards. Then we have the serious competition types (who probably don't visit this forum).

Below is a link to one guys precision reloading in, I believe, South Africa. Not a step by step but a fair introduction to that world.

https://youtu.be/ugD06nlPpoU
Old 04-30-2020, 12:21 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JDW, you are right about hand loaders….just about all of us have some degree of OCD involved. Just depends how deep you want to dive in. But as an example of what can be accomplished by the truly extreme practitioners of that fanatical attention to detail: IBS World Record 600 yard 5 shot group; 0.282" or .0448 MOA (yes that's not .4 but .0448). Fired in competition by Bart Sauter April 21, 2018 MSSA Range, Memphis, TN. 6BRA cartridge (Ackley Improved version of 6MM Norma BR case with 40 degree shoulder), shooting 105 grain bullets. All 5 shots touching, outside edge to outside edge barely over .5" and can be completely covered by a dime wth room to spare. Unimaginable to my limited skills, but gives us all something to strive for!

Last edited by Steve Newman; 04-30-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:20 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OCD? nah... I found three bad brass in a box of 100. Driving me about half nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 06:47 AM
10ring1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (60)
There has to be a balance between obsessionality and practicality. Yes...to each is his own, but each loader has a specific goal in mind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2020, 06:57 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't really call it obsessional. Like most hobbies, we all start with the most basic skill development as to primers, bullets and powder selection. Then off we go into bullet seating depth, case neck runout , primer hole uniformity etc etc. Making the perfect round and building the perfect rifle can be almost as important as getting the perfect score. Unlike OCD, you never want to achieve your objective because that is the end of the fun!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:24 AM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Yes, he is South African. But nearly every tool and product he is using is from the USA.

I watched the video, and honestly... his techniques/tools/components are not special at all. Actually, pretty basic for the modern long range guy. Granted, not a level the average deer hunter is going to dive into, but pretty basic for serious rifle folks.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:46 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's quite similar to my process. I use many of the same tools. It's what I call "practical" precision reloading, but not close to the spear tip of what's being done. After all, he's using Hornady bullets, unsorted.

Here's a fun one of Erik Cortina, who is a world class F-Open shooter. You can see him charge powder and seat the bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5j7VzBX7GU

He was recording his practice session and knocked out four shots all touching each other at 1000y. (Yes, the same 1000y that's over half a mile.) The 5th shot made it a little over an inch. It's not a world record, but if you want to see video, you won't see a better group unless you witnessed the world record group in person.

You can see his reloading equipment, including the Prometheus powder scale. In case you didn't know, Prometheus are not for sale, only for lease.

I'm not a competition shooter, but I'm deep in my own reloading rabbit hole. In the last two weeks I picked up a digital bore micrometer (accurate to .00016") and upgraded my outside mics to digital (accurate to .00005").

My shooting and load development skills are lagging behind a bit.

Last edited by dgeesaman; 04-30-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:40 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You can buy the Prometheus Gen II starting at a mere $5,100. Wow.

Mals
Old 04-30-2020, 07:55 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
You can buy the Prometheus Gen II starting at a mere $5,100. Wow.

Mals
More impressive when an Autotrickler and Entris run $1600 or so and can keep up with seating bullets.

David
Old 05-01-2020, 12:45 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Granted on one hand that was just a taste of the rabbit hole, there is a lot left out of that video. Yes a lot of his stuff is US made though I did note a few items specific to SA that I wish I had my hands on. Just shows the global economy goes, well, globally. So shoot em up and load again.