Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:24 PM
Dunlap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What does everyone use to clean their .22’s

I’m almost out of my typical stuff which is the Remington bore cleaner and oil. What is everyone’s go too? I’ve used hoppes and like the smell and results. But I’m not against trying new. I was looking at the modern spartan kit it’s $40.00 and has a special cleaner for optics.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Bigdog357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't clean my 22's very often but when I do I still use Hoppe's. If I have any barrel leading issues, I wrap a small piece of lead remover cloth around a brass brush and go at it.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:40 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Otis Ripcord with gunzilla clp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2020, 10:41 PM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I usually just use CLP for everything unless theres a ton of fouling and then I'll let it soak in Hoppes.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:28 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Hoppes and RemOil on a home made patch worm for daily use. Eezox or Corrosion-X for longer term storage. Goof-off and a brass brush for the carbon ring. Renaissance wax, just 'cause.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:08 PM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ballistol and the patchworm.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:57 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ballistol as well.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:29 PM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Just a comment

You might want to check out what the barrel makers have to say. I use Dan Lilja's method which, for the most part, does not include solvents.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:25 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Knotted shoe lace and used motor oil!

Just kidding, you could if you were in a pinch.

I use those notorious aluminum jointed cleaning rods that are rumored to ruin your barrel in one use, a brass brush and a patch with oil or solvent. Been working for over 30 years and I've never ruined a barrel yet.... even when I have to clean from the muzzle end.

Most of the time a few brushes with a wetted patch and you'll be good to go another 500 rounds. You just have to be careful when starting a brush with mettle core at the crown.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:30 PM
JCurtis1964
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ballistol for all of my firearms.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:19 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
If you don't have a borescope, some will probably want to ague any advice I might offer. There are many solvents that will "clean" your barrel, but only a few that are really good at removing carbon buildup and lead. I have tried nearly all of the cleaners, and I have found that ....... Well, I don't want to start a bruhaha about solvents or procedures, so get a borescope and several cleaners and see for yourself. They are out there and any recommendations I make will only start the trolls licking their lips and pounding the keyboard. To each their own.. There was a thread in the benchmark section about what cleaning / procedure the pros use to keep their barrels shooting accurately, but those guys have custom barrels and the bore finish is beyond what most of the shooters here at RFC deal with on a regular cleaning basis. First, I would keep notes on the "window of accuracy" count after the barrel is seasoned with ammo your rifle really likes. When the accuracy starts to go bad, chances are you are already past the point where you needed to clean. Just a suggestion. AH

Last edited by ammohog; 04-29-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Dunlap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would you be willing to pm the way you do it? I’m not looking for target rifle precision. I just want as much accuracy I can out of all my firearms. I don’t want minute of deer or squirrel. I want to pick a spot wherever I want and the round go there if I do my part.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:09 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Pretty much every cleaner that is available for sale will work just fine for cleaning, which is why you get so many different answers. Like anything some will be better than others, but they'll all clean your firearms. Everyone has something different that they like and they all work. The important thing isn't what cleaner your using, it's just that your cleaning the right way.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:23 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hi Dunlap: Using a borescope for a good while, if nothing else I have learned to adjust my cleaning procedure to what ever particular issues individual barrels are prone to have. Some chambers tend to "carbon up" at a faster rate than others, while some are prone to lead buildup in the leade area, while others the lead problem is in the middle of the barrel or more than often near the crown. No cleaning procedure should be set in stone for all rifles, you need to approach each one with an open mind when cleaning. I did have a "set" way to clean rifle barrels at one time, but I often had accuracy issues that were a mystery that only a borescope could help solve. I know which barrels need that extra attention when cleaning, thanks to the help of the borescope. There is no "one" cleaner on my bench, but I have #9, Shooters Choice, Kroil, JB Paste, Iosso, Blue Wonder, Butches, Rimfire Blend, C4, Breakfree, and a host of others. I like .25 cal bronze brush with a Dewey pistol rod (with loop) for the chamber with your choice of carbon cleaner. I am fond of Dewey bronze and nylon brushes because they are well built. VFG (intensive and comfort) along with lead cloth, these also work for isolated areas that need attention. Believe it or not, I really do try to keep cleaning as simple as possible. When an accuracy problem appears, usually at the range, I like to keep enough "stuff" available to get everything back to normal. Buying a borescope is probably the best thing I have done for my guns ability to group well. Mystery solved!

PS: If all else fails, follow directions with cleaners. The instructions on the Rimfire Blend plastic bottle just about hit the nail on the head. Patch dry when done, and use a good oil for the bore after cleaning. Always dry patch at least twice before shooting to remove excess oil. I like to clean at the range after shooting, while the barrel is still warm. It just works better. All of this is just a suggestion. Find out what works for your rifle!

Last edited by ammohog; 04-29-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Dunlap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks I clean my guns when they need it as far the barrels goes. They all get a wipe down monthly even if I haven’t shot it. Just really looking to gain a little more knowledge.