Possible Winchester 77 Purchase.Opinions Needed - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:02 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Possible Winchester 77 Purchase.Opinions Needed

A LGS has a pretty good looking tube fed Model 77 for sale for $189 + tax.
I don't have any Winchester semi auto's and I'm more of a magazine fed guy.
I don't know anything about the 77's and have already searched and read every thread here I could find on 77's.
I know disassembly and reassembly for a my usual totally anal cleaning can be 'interesting'.
Is there anything in particular I should give a hard close look at when I go back to look at this rifle,ie known trouble areas or possible trouble areas/weak points?
If the owner is in I know I can at least save the 9% tax when dealing with him.
I'm not 'in love' with the rifle nor can I not live without it,but I do find it interesting.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Best choice IMHO is the tube fed rifle. I have heard numerous complaints about the magazine fed rifle jamming. I have one of each and to tell you the truth, I have never fired either one, so I cannot give you an opinion on mine. The price is right though for either.
Not in the M63 or even the M74 class, but should be just as accurate. All Winchester 22's have great bbls. Big Larry
Old 03-14-2020, 04:08 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Tail end of the good mostly machined steel Winchester rimfires. I think after that it was the alloy receivers and a lot more plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2020, 05:20 PM
jag2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first thought is no because I too have heard rumors of feeding being a problem and I may be wrong about this but I think this is the one that is really hard to disassemble and get back together. That said, if its nice looking, for that price I'd probably go for it. It may end up being a bunch of parts in a box, but hey, I've done worse.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I agree with Big Larry, the tube-fed version is the way to go. They made fewer of them and they bring a higher value. The clip fed version works fine with the factory magazines but has a real problem with most/all of the aftermarket magazines.

If the one you are looking is missing the original magazine they are currently selling on eBay between $70-$100 so $189 would NOT be a good value without an original magazine.

Does it have the bolt hold-open button? That later feature makes life a little easier when at the range and for cleaning.

Regards,
Old 03-14-2020, 05:40 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I agree with Big Larry, the tube-fed version is the way to go. They made fewer of them and they bring a higher value. The clip fed version works fine with the factory magazines but has a real problem with most/all of the aftermarket magazines.

If the one you are looking is missing the original magazine they are currently selling on eBay between $70-$100 so $189 would NOT be a good value without an original magazine.

Does it have the bolt hold-open button? That later feature makes life a little easier when at the range and for cleaning.

Regards,
JWA,it's a tube fed. I'll have to go back to see if it has a bolt hold open button.
Thanks to all who replied.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:59 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well,so much for that,I saw it yesterday and it's gone already.
Thanks for all the help though.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:09 PM
shootbrownelk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you snooze...you lose. Happens to me all the time. I need to do more impulse buying I guess.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:51 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDaBear View Post
Well,so much for that,I saw it yesterday and it's gone already.
Thanks for all the help though.
Well, look at the silver lining, you now know a whole lot more about the Model 77 and will be ready for the next deal.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:00 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Well, look at the silver lining, you now know a whole lot more about the Model 77 and will be ready for the next deal.
For certain.I don't recall having seen one before and I'm mostly a magazine fed guy anyway.
My only other experience with a Winchester semi auto .22 was a 190 I had to buy along with another rifle to get a rifle I really desired.After tearing it down to clean and lube it and going insane trying to get the recoil spring back in it I managed to sell it at a slight profit while having never fired it. I HATED all the plastic parts in the 190,when I saw the 77 and found out it was made before Winchester cheapened their rifles I became curious and interested in it.
Meanwhile I'll stick with my 69A's,75's and 52 bolt guns and my old Mossbergs. They're a known quanity to me but I appreciate everyone's time and help.Who knows maybe I'll see another 77 tube fed in the future and I'll be better informed.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Fundy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LarDaBear,

I have a 1959 Tube-fed Model 77. I agree with the others, a tube feeder (15 rounds) is the way to go, BUT here's the kicker: the lifting mechanism to feed rounds into battery is odd, somewhat hard to get to and work on, and tends to jam. It prefers high-velocity, metal-coated rounds. The bolt does not hold back on the '59 model...later ones did have a lock button.

Photos attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0222.JPG (60.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0224.JPG (295.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.JPG (98.9 KB, 47 views)