Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-25-2019, 01:24 PM
BEAGLE MAN

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
remington 700 holes drilled wrong

Any one heard of this before? 700 sa one piece talley piccatany rail holes wont line u p. the front are good the back are good, it is the space between that is off. I called talley, sure they backed their rail, said it had to be the holes drilled wrong on the Remington 700. Anyone heard of this?
Old 12-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAGLE MAN View Post
Any one heard of this before? 700 sa one piece talley piccatany rail holes wont line u p. the front are good the back are good, it is the space between that is off. I called talley, sure they backed their rail, said it had to be the holes drilled wrong on the Remington 700. Anyone heard of this?
Sort of. One of my 40X’s has the receiver holes drilled off center. It required a substantial windage correction via Burris Signature rings. Couldn’t see the problem till I tried to zero it.

A member here told me don’t sweat it, a lot of them are like that.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:00 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have heard of this but I have never seen one. What is the vintage of the gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 03:14 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I Googled Remington 700, from all indications it is a CENTERFIRE rifle. There is a centerfire forum on RFC, perhaps that is where this post belongs.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:32 AM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
I have heard of this but I have never seen one. What is the vintage of the gun?
My example is a Oct 1979 40XR .22lr (ISU stock). When 1st setup with a 15X Lyman STS no problem though that configuration used just the rear receiver and barrel locations.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:57 PM
brian01tj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like it is a short action vs long action issue. You say you have a SA rail, but is it a SA action?

Quote:
Old 12-26-2019, 05:19 PM
BEAGLE MAN

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
I Googled Remington 700, from all indications it is a CENTERFIRE rifle. There is a centerfire forum on RFC, perhaps that is where this post belongs.
Sorry, I thought this was a Remington forum?
Old 12-26-2019, 05:29 PM
BEAGLE MAN

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
remington

I was inquiring on a 700 action in general, not a specific caliber! But yes it is a short action, vintage 70s.
Thanks for you're input.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:33 PM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it has been a common problem for years and why people have smiths square them up and open holes from 6-48 to 8-40. Have had it done on a couple actions.

ETA from the title I thought you meant crooked but if the holes themselves aren't lining up then there is an issue that isn't as common. So the front and rear holes line up but not the two in the center closest to the ejection port? How far off?

Last edited by Rob01; 12-26-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:58 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A long action rail outside screw distance is ~.9” longer than a short action.

I have read Remington base holes do occasionally show up drilled wrong. My two are right on.

What if the Talley rail is drilled incorrectly?
Old 12-26-2019, 06:05 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
With the CNC machines now if one is wrong all are wrong and that would show up big time. I would guess it is the Action that is messed up. Not a common problem but it does happen.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:39 PM
BEAGLE MAN

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
Yes it has been a common problem for years and why people have smiths square them up and open holes from 6-48 to 8-40. Have had it done on a couple actions.

ETA from the title I thought you meant crooked but if the holes themselves aren't lining up then there is an issue that isn't as common. So the front and rear holes line up but not the two in the center closest to the ejection port? How far off?
I can start the front two screws and the back holes wont line up, and the same the other way. Can start the back two and the front holes don't line up. So the spacing between the front holes is correct, and the spacing between the back holes is correct. So I'm thinking that two piece bases would probably work? I was curious if anyone had this problem. I ordered a one piece egw rail. If it fits the same way as the talley than it will be a Remington problem.
Thanks, for your responses much appreciated.
Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:45 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Two piece bases are a way to go. You could have the one piece drilled in the right places and use it.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I can start the front two screws and the back holes wont line up, and the same the other way. Can start the back two and the front holes don't line up. So the spacing between the front holes is correct, and the spacing between the back holes is correct. So I'm thinking that two piece bases would probably work? I was curious if anyone had this problem. I ordered a one piece egw rail. If it fits the same way as the talley than it will be a Remington problem.
Thanks, for your responses much appreciated.
Will let you know how it turns out.
Are you sure you don't have a long action base? It's been known to have happened where a long is in where a short should be and vice versa. Does it say SA700 on the base anywhere?

I would search the internet and find the dimensions for the long action and short action and measure your base and action and see what is messed up
Old 12-26-2019, 09:12 PM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To throw another idea out there, the Howa 1500 action uses the same pattern as the Remington 700. The difference is that the newer short actions are longer than the Remington short actions. Perhaps you have a Howa base, not a Remington?