Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HB Bmag’s purchased in the last year, performance

So can any of you guys who have purchased a B-mag HB in the last year tells us how your rifle is performing? I see lots of reports from 2017 and earlier but not any reports about current production. I’ve heard they change the rifling twist, bolt handles ect.... how are the current production Bmags working out? I sure hope those early problematic rifles don’t kill off this cartridge.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:48 PM
cmatera
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
It won’t. Few problems with any of them with a K or greater in the prefix of the serial #.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:36 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcl2 View Post
So can any of you guys who have purchased a B-mag HB in the last year tells us how your rifle is performing? I see lots of reports from 2017 and earlier but not any reports about current production. I’ve heard they change the rifling twist, bolt handles ect.... how are the current production Bmags working out? I sure hope those early problematic rifles don’t kill off this cartridge.
I have stayed out of this sub-forum for some time, for good reason. I can only say in defense of that, there is a small fan club that represents the bulk of the posts here.

Now to your questions. I have purchased a B-mag HB in the last year. No, it did not perform to what I considered acceptable accuracy. I caused so much fuss here that one regular poster even opened a thread about what was considered acceptable accuracy. I did a lot of work to my rifle and did see improvements in accuracy. The fact remains, that I did not post pics of groups that were good because they would have been cherry picked. I tested extensively and shot over 25 lots, including 2 lots of ammo a friend of mine has that shot what he said 'were very good' out of his two .17WSM rifles. One a Ruger 77/17 and the other a VQ. When further questioned he told me they were tested at 50yds, not 100yds. They exhibited some of the same issues other lots did, unacceptable flyers that would have missed a ground squirrel at 100yds. A target a lot of the guys out west shoot with this round.

Now, do I feel the rifle I own is at fault? No, not really. It has produced a few groups, after considerable work on it, that were acceptable. I'm talking hunting accuracy here, not target shooting. Keep in mind, I consider sub MOA acceptable hunting accuracy for a cartridge in this performance class.....consistently. Not one group here and one group there.

I will tell you exactly what is going to kill this cartridge.....Winchester and their consistent failure to produce ANY good rimfire ammo and the FACT that this cartridge fouls the bore horribly. I truly believe after considerable range testing that the cartridge's worst enemy is the manufacturer who designed and makes it. Not necessarily the rifles, including the POS B-mag, that shoot it. The B-mag is the poorest designed rifle I have ever owned. I do believe one of the fan clubbers here has also said the same thing. That being the case, only a couple blown groups in my testing are me missing the flags. Most all are ammo QC related and my biggest fouling issue is carbon/powder fouling, not copper.

BTW: Mine is an 'N' serial number. I don't know if the K came after the N in B-mag production. It sure doesn't in the alphabet. I'll step away again now. My opinion, or experience, has never had much acceptance here anyway.

Last edited by doclu60; 12-18-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Traveling Fisher
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My son and I both bought HB Bmag this past year. He has hit prairie dogs at 250+.
I have started to work on accuracy with mine. 100 yds rested. 16 RDS per group, and I am at 2.8 MOA as a baseline. At the same range and conditions I put 13 of 15 RDS in a 3/4" bull with a Savage 12FV in .223.
Savage 17 HMR looks better, but not measured. That is my go to small varmint rifle. Winter in Iowa is hit or miss on shooting days but we have a few coming.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:15 AM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Fisher View Post
My son and I both bought HB Bmag this past year. He has hit prairie dogs at 250+.
I have started to work on accuracy with mine. 100 yds rested. 16 RDS per group, and I am at 2.8 MOA as a baseline. At the same range and conditions I put 13 of 15 RDS in a 3/4" bull with a Savage 12FV in .223.
Savage 17 HMR looks better, but not measured. That is my go to small varmint rifle. Winter in Iowa is hit or miss on shooting days but we have a few coming.
It should be a better week coming up. Was that the A17 or bolt action Savage that grouped better than your Bmag?
Old 12-19-2019, 08:29 AM
Traveling Fisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
93R17 plastic stock. Very basic.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just picked up a ss heavy barrel Today for $298. Figure for that price I can mess with it and if It ends up not being any good I’ll just sell it. I have never had any luck with ANY Winchester rimfire ammo so I am a little worried about that.

I’ll post my groups once I get some. The only ammo I could find was Winchester 20 gr at wal-mart. It was only $12 a box, cheaper than HMR ammo.

Last edited by Texcl2; 12-19-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Traveling Fisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím trying to get the most accurate results from this rifle. 17 WSM Savage B Mag Stainless heavy barrel plastic stock with no modifications. Serial number k series. Scope Cabelaís Covenant tactical 6x24-50 FFP at 12X. 100 yd range using 8 inch sight in targets. American Eagle 20gr Vmax all from a single lot. No comparisons on ammo so this is the first one I grabbed.
I started with 15 in pds front and rear as specified by Savage. That group is in the center. 2.296 MOA
Group 2 is upper left 15 in pds front and 10 rear 2.241 MOA
Group 3 is upper right 15 in pds front and 20 rear 2.317 MOA
Group 4 is lower right 15 in pds front and 25 rear2.166 MOA
Group 5 is lower left 20 in pds front and 20 rear 1.976 MOA
The next target was 18 in pds front and 22 rear 2.425 MOA
The last target was 15 in pds front and 22 rear 1.570 MOA
The width seems to be consistently smaller than the height of the groups which for now Iíll attribute to varying ammo speed.
I had two FTF on the last two groups. Both had firing pin strikes on the rim. I will clean before the nest attempts.
I am making progress but would like to have better consistency.
My plan is to continue to test torque settings closer to the last setting, try the O rings on the barrel at varying locations, and then test various lots of ammo including the 25 gr.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I'm not sure how to post a PDF image in here, sohere is a link a link to Dropbox with the PDF and tgx images for those who are interested.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b9uhvgjn9...Qopqz5nPa?dl=0
Old 12-22-2019, 08:09 AM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve heard the Winchester 20gr is the least consistent ammo, it’s what I’ve been using too. I picked up some 25gr ammo for shooting coyotes and will test it out soon.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Iíve heard the Winchester 20gr is the least consistent ammo, itís what Iíve been using too. I picked up some 25gr ammo for shooting coyotes and will test it out soon.
IME it depends on the ammo lot and the rifle. I've had good luck with the 20 grn.. YMMV of course.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, guess we shouldn’t expect too much from a cartridge made from industrial blanks, lol. I wish CCI would start making them, I mean at the very least all manufactures are using Winchester brass at this point. Would be nice to get some variety.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:28 PM
Traveling Fisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1.5 MOA will work for prairie dogs out to 200 yds. Also I have had some groups where 2/3 of the shots are tightly clustered so for hunting, it will work. My goal is to get consistent first shot, then as tight as possible after.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree, the gun does what it was designed to do. I was shooting apples and potatoes at 200 yards today, if I can hit those a fox or coyote is no problem.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:32 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I agree, the gun does what it was designed to do. I was shooting apples and potatoes at 200 yards today, if I can hit those a fox or coyote is no problem.
Yep, that ought to work!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Traveling Fisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More accuracy data

Back at it today. I have partially bedded with aluminum tape to ensure that the left side of the stock does not contact the barrel. Also the design is to be mostly free floated, although there are two (or 3) contact points molded into the central rib of the stock. About 5 inches from the fore end, there is a smooth curved uplift on the central rib. There is a second uplift near the barrel to action attachment. The reason I say possible three, is that an inch from the fore end, at the first cross rib, there is a strange, rough place comprised of four round elements at each junction of the cross rib, and the central rib. They look like a molding flaw rather than a design element as the top is rough and inconsistent compared to the two design uplifts. Carefully reassembling the rifle with particular attention to the barrel to stock clearance set the barrel in the center of the channel. 15 in pds of torque on both action screws.
The first group is in the center of the target, 8 shots, 1.910 MOA 20gr American Eagle.
Group2 is upper right 8 shots, Winchester 25gr. 2.4 MOA and 2 inches low.
Group 3 is upper right, 25gr Winchester after adjusting up 8 clicks.2.4 MOA
Group 5 is lower right, 25gr Winchester 2 shots with a different lot of ammo.1.7 MOA, 1.2 inches high. This leads mee to think that there can be significant variation between lots of the same ammo.
Group 6 is lower right 25gr Winchester 6 shots same ammo as Group 3 1.6 MOA
Group 4 is upper left 20gr American Eagle adjusted down 8 clicks 8 shots 2.5 MOA vertical offset so
Group 7 is lower left adjusted down 2 clicks from Group 4 8 shots 1.3 MOA.
Group 4 and Group 7 are the same lot of ammo, 8 shots each shot as consecutive groups showing a group size that doubles. I cannot account for that variation.
Additional information, every fired shell comes out dirty. I will work on cleaning the throat to see if that is a problem. Savage said send it in for eval and correction.
I was pleased with the repeatability of the Cabelaís Covenant tactical 6-64X50 scope.
Link to target picture
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyb24xd6lu...roups.pdf?dl=0