Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 PM
Flint_Fredrstone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$200 and can't find a scope I like.

I have a couple hundred bucks to spend on optics for my marlin 25mn. This is a hunting gun. I'm looking for quality optics and have searched extensively about the features of the scopes that I'm considering. They all have something that turns me off. There are a few things that all these scopes have in common and I consider these to be qualities that all shooters of rim-fired rifles need in their optics.

1. Fog-proof, Waterproof and Shockproof.
2. Parallax free at or around 50 yrds. Rimfire scope or adjustable objective for center fire scopes.
3. I prefer metal turret caps. I have had bad luck with plastic in the past.
4. For a hunting scope, a fine reticle is hard to see in low light so a heavier reticle is preferred personally.
5. 32-40mm objective lens.
6. Scope must have a very good warranty.

I have not used these scopes but only researched what I could online.

Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire ---- $200 or so...... I like the reviews and looks of this scope. I hear that there may be an issue with some of these being counterfeit. I would hate to not get a real Leupold or the hassle of having to get a refund. I hear the turret adjustments are a little squishy but work. Lifetime warranty is good. Made in the USA is very good I hope. I think this is the one I will settle with even tho it has a "rimfire MOA" reticle which I may or may not like.

Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x40 Adjustable Objective ---- $200 or so.... This is a centerfire scope but it has an adjustable objective. Vortex also has a lifetime warranty. It is made in china and I don't really like to trust china on anything if I don't have to.

Nikon PROSTAFF RIMFIRE II is priced near $120. I hear good reviews. Nikon has some top of the line lenses. The turret caps are plastic but not really a deal breaker.

I wonder if the Leupold is that much better than the Nikon? I hear Nikon might be going out of business. No more warranty I suppose.

I feel that I'm not getting something for not spending 80 bucks more for the Leupold. Humm.... advise on Leupold or the Nikon please.. along with any more scopes in this price range with similar features..
Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Jester560
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nikon is out of the scope business after the first of the year. One would be wise to steer clear of them.

The ones you have mentioned, I would go with the Vortex. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 12:09 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Good luck in ruling out China in the under $200 range..

There are good values found with Chinese optics...
One is the Mueller line up... the APV is one of the best values out there.. and Lifetime Warranty as long as you file/save your receipt.. and 2 dozen or so Mueller's later and multi-K rounds later I have never had to send one back...

http://muelleroptics.com/products/mu...14x40ao-black/

I'm a big fan of the Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x40 Adjustable Objective with BDC reticle.. what's not to like?

I actually opt for this one for many of my rigs.. IMO it's hard to beat at $219 : https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics...6131107&sr=8-1

Last edited by Chaser; 12-12-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 AM
Vasquez956

TPC Rating: 
96% (20)
Check out the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:16 AM
janleroux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint_Fredrstone View Post
I have a couple hundred bucks to spend on optics for my marlin 25mn. This is a hunting gun. I'm looking for quality optics and have searched extensively about the features of the scopes that I'm considering. They all have something that turns me off. There are a few things that all these scopes have in common and I consider these to be qualities that all shooters of rim-fired rifles need in their optics.

1. Fog-proof, Waterproof and Shockproof.

2. Parallax free at or around 50 yrds. Rimfire scope or adjustable objective for center fire scopes.

3. I prefer metal turret caps. I have had bad luck with plastic in the past.

4. For a hunting scope, a fine reticle is hard to see in low light so a heavier reticle is preferred personally.

5. 32-40mm objective lens.

6. Scope must have a very good warranty.

I have not used these scopes but only researched what I could online.

Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire ---- $200 or so...... I like the reviews and looks of this scope. I hear that there may be an issue with some of these being counterfeit. I would hate to not get a real Leupold or the hassle of having to get a refund. I hear the turret adjustments are a little squishy but work. Lifetime warranty is good. Made in the USA is very good I hope. I think this is the one I will settle with even tho it has a "rimfire MOA" reticle which I may or may not like.

Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x40 Adjustable Objective ---- $200 or so.... This is a centerfire scope but it has an adjustable objective. Vortex also has a lifetime warranty. It is made in china and I don't really like to trust china on anything if I don't have to.

Nikon PROSTAFF RIMFIRE II is priced near $120. I hear good reviews. Nikon has some top of the line lenses. The turret caps are plastic but not really a deal breaker.

I wonder if the Leupold is that much better than the Nikon? I hear Nikon might be going out of business. No more warranty I suppose.

I feel that I'm not getting something for not spending 80 bucks more for the Leupold. Humm.... advise on Leupold or the Nikon please.. along with any more scopes in this price range with similar features..
I have been using a Vector Everest GenII since the beginning of this year, and I am very happy with the performance and quality.
Maybe something you can consider: https://www.vectoroptics.store/GenII...iflescope.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 03:31 AM
ramnob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you looked at Burris?
Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nikon is hands down the best choice. They make an amazing scope that fits (exactly) your needs. (and you save $75.00)
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/niko...ii-rifle-scope

Muller scopes are pure GARBAGE.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:47 AM
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a look at red field and burris, also look at Natchez Shooters Supply they sell seconds and refurbs and heavily discounted prices have bought several scopes from them with no issues.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:33 AM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Concur: Mueller are junk. Lots of features and super cheap, my one and only fogged sitting in a safe in my house. A good scope should last a 20 years or more. Not 5.

I just got an old Redfield 4x for my vintage .22 Winchester. Like it a lot, it's 30 years old. I have several Weavers and Unertls and other great American makers from when China didn't have a paved road or a building over 4 stories high. Still work fine.

I don't see why people say steer away from Nikon, they made good scopes and they should last a lifetime, who cares if no one is around to fix them? Just buy another if it breaks in 10 or 20 years.

Personally, since I know China is a potential enemy, they put most american manufacturing out of business, and their quality control is a joke - I would not buy Chinese to save a few bucks. Pay more, keep what's left in America, get a Leupold.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:39 AM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vortex is a great value for the money, and they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Even on refurbished items.

I've bought refurbs from aaoptics and I'm happy with my purchases. The refurbs come in waaay under your budget, so you'll have more money for ammo!
Old 12-12-2019, 08:48 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May not meet all of your criteria but this is a hunting scope meant for shotguns. 50 yard parallax. Circle X reticle.I have several of these I use on rimfire but have used them on a Mini 30. The model has been discontinued and these are on close out. Actually was $150 msrp. I paid more than this for mine.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-...U#.XfJSZmRKhPY

Last edited by JTJ; 12-12-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 AM
keeneye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check out some of the weaver brand scopes. I have had good luck with them. The cross hairs are slightly thick but focus and a clear sight view have been great. Plus you wont blow your budget. I think mine are 40/44 series.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been happy with Leupold scopes but the rimfire scopes I have are the older VX1 scopes in 2-7X. One on a 10/22 and one on an RWS air rifle. Very good, clear scopes.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:13 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't let the fact that both Weaver & Nikon are dropping their scope lines eliminate them from consideration. I have several of their scopes, along with Leupold, Mueller, Hawke, and a few others. In 45 years, I've had one scope fail. My Weaver K4 bit the dust and fogged up in the snowy PA deer woods after a mere 40 years of use. Buy a quality scope to begin with, and chances are good it will hold up as long as you need it.

That said, in your price range, I'd recommend any of the following:

1. Nikon 3-9x40 Target EFR (new version is P3 Target EFR), both are AO, or the Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 (parallax @ 50 yards). Nikon glass is very good. Older versions had 1/4" @ 50 yard adjustments & plastic caps, newer versions are the standard 1/4" @ 100 yard adjustments & metal caps. Even the older 4x32 Rimfire scopes (discontinued but available as refurbs from Natchez) are good for hunting purposes.

2. Weaver RV9 3-9x32 AO or RV7 2-7x28. The Weaver scopes I've found are good quality (my first one lasted 40 years), and the equivalent of pricier Leupold offerings of the same type. Some may argue about that, but I have Weaver & Leupold versions of both scopes, and in use, there is no real difference except price. The Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 EFR scope is nice, but above your price range.

3. Mueller APV 2-7x32 AO has given me no problems, was inexpensive, and worked fine. The only reason I swapped it out was I preferred the thinner crosshairs of the Nikon, Leupold, and Weaver scopes when target shooting, but for hunting purposes, the somewhat thicker crosshairs on the Mueller are fine.

Don't overlook the used scope section in your LGS if you have one in your area. I've found a couple of excellent bargains there. And also lots of junk.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:41 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at Hawke scopes.