Trail gun - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I also choose a 22lr as my trail/CCW gun. Mine is a S&W 2214.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:22 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My choice would be my S&W kit gun with the grip laser. The laser is great in low light and very fast at short ranges. My second choice would be the NAA with 4" barrel in 22 mag.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:20 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Even though we have legal 'open carry' here in WI someone will get nervous when seeing one carried and someone else of importance will be obligated, even required, to investigate. Complications ensue.....
So now I have a concealed carry permit, no-see, no call-in, no hassles.
But where public exposure is limited to likely none I sometimes carry open. I also consider that our 'small game license' is a good thing to have, it allows one to (duh) hunt small game or, more importantly to me, varmints. IF asked for a 'legitimate reason' to be carrying the license makes a good answer.
In these perilous times it is good to be prepared for the possibility we may be considered the 'bad guy'.
The 'tool':
For the bush walkabout and not being in dangerous game territory, which I am not, 22s are usually the choice though a 32 S&W Long, 32 Mag or 38 Spl are all good. I like small and light enough that I dont notice, and doesnt get 'in the way' doing things in an all day carry yet big enough that I have good grip and control.

Last edited by gcrank1; 10-28-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 11:55 PM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When the discussion is about trail guns, there is the magnum mentality i.e. 357 on up, or as mentioned here a lighter smaller 22lr. If you live in an area where there are greater odds of meeting large man eating critters, Alaska - Montana, I would opt for heavier big bore armament.

That's not the situation in my locale and, like the OP, prefer the lighter weight and portability of a 22lr for a hiking companion. A vintage S&W Mod 63 Kit Gun revolver is my choice or an even older 1936 semi-auto Colt Woodsman. After being introduced in 1915, for years Colt touted their .22 Woodsman as being the ideal sporting arm for tourists and campers. Still works for me.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:10 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I prefer a revolver for trail use. The K-22 is awesome and if I want to save weight, I would take a model 63 or 34.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:13 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a fun day of plinking , yeah a 22 is the best. But on hike in the woods, just like a stroll in the city, i want something thats going to stop the varmint , 2 or 4 legged thatís threatening me or mine. And while a 22 might do that , im more confident that a centerfire with 300 lbs per foot or more will do a better job. I dont need a target gun for protection. I want a hand cannon. If i can i bring this, first round a 410 next 45lc buffalo-bore. I like little guns, a lot, for backup, or like gmd says, when i cant carry a gun,i carry....

Last edited by Toomany22s; 01-29-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Outdoorman:
I carried a Ruger Bearcat for several years way back when I was with the USFS in Oregon, Montana and Alabama. Never gave any thought about what state laws were. Oregon must have been open carry 'cause I often had it on me when I was in town on the weekends.

I still have a Bearcat, but I bought a pistol last year that is now my auxillary pistol in the woods or fields. It is a S&W Mdl 422 with adj. sights and 6" barrel. My holster has a pouch where I can carry 2 magazines. 30 rounds should hold me against advancing rattlesnakes and armadillos. And it is a very accurate little pistol, almost as light as the Bearcat if not lighter.

During deer season [I am in Ga as well.] I carry my S&W Mdl 19 .357 along with my .270. I keep hoping I will get the chance to take a deer with the pistol. It is dead on accurate out to 50 yd.s, but I would keep my shots within 25 yards. I use Georgia Arms G357E,158 gr. plated semi-wadcutters, 1100 fps. There is a requirement for retained energy at 100 yd.s and a 6 in. barrel. Anyway, there used to be. I haven't checked recently, but with all the PC carbines and lever actions out there they may have dropped the energy requirement.

VH

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 10-29-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: edit
Old 10-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Flynmoose

Moved back east of the Cascades where sanity still exists!
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I carried a 38 SPL derringer for a number of years. I recently bought a Smith & Wesson 351PD 22 Magnum. It is lighter than the derringer and has seven shots available. I will soon move back to snake country, it should be very handy as the best streams are guarded by shakem up snakes.
FM
Old 10-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Either the M18 (top) or the M15. The Colt Woodsman is another.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:42 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
It depends on what you might encounter along the trail and what actions you might want to take in this encounter.

Do you really need to kill a snake or can you just step around him a little and keep on going? What other varmints really cause you concern? Rock chucks? Skunks? Possums?

I think in today's world, the snakes and varmints you need to worry about on the trail are the two-legged kind, and you might be wise to dress appropriately.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I carry a 22 or 32 S&W long as trail guns. I don't know the laws in Georgia but hunting deer here in Florida while in possession of a 22 rimfire might be frowned upon by a game warden. His interpretation is everything. Otherwise, if you already have a 22, use it.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:15 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
Either the M18 (top) or the M15. The Colt Woodsman is another.

Of the 3, I'd pick the 15, 3 rds of shot, 3 rds of HP. I don't trust RF shotshells.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:57 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i tend to carry a sig 938 , its on my hip generally , sometimes a 45 replaces it but not so often these days - gettin old aint for sissy's , that said if i were to carry a 22 on the trail , it would be a buckmark as i have one of these all set up for the need - i shoot steel with it when i can ,
Old 10-31-2019, 08:02 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My favorite for many years is my Colt Woodsman Sport second series. I've had a few holsters over the years but scored a Lawrence flap holster for it off an auction site. Plus I have two mag pouches, an El Paso and a Bianchi, so I can carry 50 rounds fully loaded. The Flap holster protects the gun in brush really well. It's hard to beat the name "Woodsman" for the best name ever for a trail gun. I also had a S&W 63. A nice gun I foolishly traded away.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:20 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I lusted after S&W Kit Gun for years, finally traded into a 63 x 4". It was purty, and a S&W, but wasnt as accurate as my cheap old H&R dbl act side flipper . Seems it was made in their 'troubled years'.
Used to do more bush walks than now (bad leg) so my 'trail gun' was whatever I was currently playing with or morphing into; that is, Ive tried a bunch o' stuff. Never had to use one for more than a charging pine cone.....
My conclusions were lighter and un-noticed for the most part was premier (suitable accuracy a given)and enough grip size to be well controlled. There toward the tail end of my hikes I became fond of a Ruger SR22; 10 shots quick (that from an old Sav. auto-loader ad) if needed and certainly light for it's size.
I was surprised to find my 100ish year old S&W Safety Hammerless in 38S&W was more accurate than a dbl act only vintage cf has a right to be, and more beans than a 22LR. It fits in my old basket weave tooled leather for the kit gun and has made a fun BBQ gun too.