Is there a Mossberg .22 that stands out as THE most reliable, or THE most accurate? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 PM
bczrx
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is there a Mossberg .22 that stands out as THE most reliable, or THE most accurate?

I read about all of the different Mossberg .22 models, and I have 2 [346KA and 144LSB].

As I read about all of the other cool Mossberg .22 rifles, a question began to emerge- were there any that stood out as so far above the rest that there is no question?

I hear that about the Winchester 52, but don't know if there is a single Mossberg that is so far above the others.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:38 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what little I know I'm betting the answer is - NO. Many good ones.

John
Old 10-22-2019, 09:45 AM
ken w.

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Send a message via Yahoo to ken w.
Mossbergs

I've had many Mossberg's and have liked most of them. I kept a model 46 b that is so accurate I'll never get rid of it. It has factory peep sights and a folding aperture front sight with a hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As someone who shoots most weekly and sometimes more, I can say I enjoy also shooting non target Mossbergs also. But of the many accurate Mossbergs I have shot I find it depends on the ammo. I still have a 46B(b) than in my younger day would shot in 1/2 inch at 30-40 yards off hand with just rear and front sights. 50 years later I would be lucky to do that off the bench.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:35 AM
scottycoyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
ive had a couple semi auto mossbergs that had to be massaged to get running, like 51 and 151...........i too have a 46m that is extremely accurate i wont ever sell
Old 10-22-2019, 11:36 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Agree with headhunter2. I have a Marlin 101 that at 40 yards from a rest I could Shoot a group under 1/2 inch . Now its up to nearly1 inch. All the Mossy's I have are great shooters. From 42M, 46's 44's, 51, 144LS, and 151's. I can usually stay around 3/4 inch at 50 yards from a rest.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:01 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yep, MINE
Old 10-22-2019, 01:37 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 5. They all shoot better than me. :-)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:15 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Kidding aside now, I have inherited my dad's 46M(b?) a couple years ago. And Ive had several Mossbergs through the years, all the bolt guns were comparable groupers with similar sighting equipment, though the semi-autos (151's) were less accurate than the bolts but similar to each other.
I improved the 46M with a good cleaning, good ammo, and went from the rec. peep to a Mossberg M-4 scope; still, I felt like it should do better. Thing is that it did shoot as well as a number of other rifles so Ive come to expect that the size limit on groups is me.....
In a moment of impulse I bought the Havlin's (great folks, mention RFC if/when you order) 1" bolt on scope mount, it popped on nicely though the bolt 'cover' must be removed or mod the underside of the mount (instructions here or online, forget which). I didnt want to wait so cover came off, mounted up my old Lyman All American Permacenter 10X with AO. Out to the bench with a box of the ammo it had done the best with in the past.
WOW
Ive had more expensive guns not do as well. And this isnt one of the nicer/heavier/fancier models just a well worn and well used long ago 'sporterized' 46M. No trick work, no snicky trigger.
So, iffn ya got an urge for a Mossy, I recommend a bolt gun, get the good scope mount and decent glass (I found more power and AO helped me A Lot!), good ammo and go shoot.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with gcrank1 on the Havlin's scope mount. I did put it on my 46B(b) and it really smartened up my 50 yard targets. As it is not period correct for my 46B(b) I just keep it in a box to be used on which ever Mossberg (or ammo) I really want to test. - Bill
Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I've shot some [email protected] good groups with my 44US models at 50 yards! But this was 10 years ago. I still have the targets but too hard to do pictures here anymore.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:21 PM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks All,

I see a trend in the '46' series here.

I have to admit I am partial to tube fed .22lr rifles.

I like the 144LSB, but would probably have preferred it if it were tube fed.

I have never seen/held a 46 series. Are the triggers similar to the 144 series, or how would you compare them?

With my old eyes, iron sights are for 'fun', but I will never again group very well with them. I need glass for precision. sigh.

Am I right that none of the 46 series have tip-off scope grooves in the receiver?

I definitely don't 'need' another .22lr rifle, but when did 'need's stop us.

Part of me would prefer to get a Marlin 781, to pair with my Marlin 783. However, I just find the Mossbergs 'cool'.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:43 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Afaik all the 46's have the two left side scope mount holes ready to go, all you need is the old Mossy mount or, best of all, if you really want to see what the gun is capable of, the Havlin's. If you pair it up with a good vintage 1" scope it will be a good look, too. And remove the two screws it comes right off.
After using it I knew Id never go back to the iron sights again so off they came. Still have the M-4 in the side mount just in case I need to do a 'vintage match' with no more than 4x......lol, but not likely.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:39 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Is there a Mossberg .22 that stands out as THE most reliable, or THE most accurate?
.......... Being how they are all pretty much accurate narrows it to reliable , on basic things that can go wrong your looking for a single shot target model . they would be the most reliable no mags or feed tubes and related problems ~~JMJ~~
Old 10-23-2019, 10:03 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh come on Mossbergman that takes all the fun out of it. After all when you fire at will if he dodges you have no follow up shot.

John

Last edited by tickridger; 10-23-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling