Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:50 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Retirement gun question rimfire vs centerfire

Ok im not yet retired but am coming up on it so ive been doing some research and deciding on what I want to get as some fun retirement guns I plan to get 2 possibly 3. One will be a Henry Lever action or Marlin model 39 for some rimfire cowboy Silhouette not sure which yet but leaning Henry because the base models cheaper then a Marlin.

Now onto my question for this sub forum I want to spend "around" $1000-1200 on the pistol(leaving about 400 for the rifle). Ive narrowed my pistol choices down to 2 one a Centerfire one a Rimfire...and yup the reason im posting here is the Rimfire is the S&W Model 41. The Centerfire is the CZ Tactical Sport in 9mm...So 2 guns in their respective classes known for great accuracy.

On the Model 41 what I need to know is(a few things)

1. Old or brand new I have ZERO biases here im NOT a older is always better guy and im also not a new is always better guy either...I realize both old and new can have awesome guns and lemons someone is trying to dump because they didnt work. So Older model or Brand new in the box PC model(ive seen both for in the $1000-1300 range

2. Were there any years during the long run of the model 41 that should be avoided/had issues??? I know at some point they changed bluing/bluing chemicals and or methods...but thats really it. OR conversely and runs that were known to be better and or more accurate etc,etc..give year ranges please if you know for either.

3. All ive done so far is look on gunbroker ive not even looked or asked questions locally..thats why im starting this far out..im assuming $1000-1200ish is the regular going rate now days for one of these??

4. Im a but scared to gunbroker this to be honest...I just am scared of getting someone esles issue/problem gun that just never ran right...and we all know all makes and models have those..id like to get to shoot anything used first. Any suggestions on this or is it just take the leap if I cant find a nice one locally and cross fingers

5. Is there anything else out there currently that shoots as nicely for the same price(or less) that would also make me happy? im thinking of trying to win a few matches if possible... and that will HOLD ITS VALUE as well as a Model 41?

6. This will be one of those guns thats going to by far be my most expensive
handgun. Most ive ever spent on a gun is either my AR or M1 Garand at $800ish $$$ most ive spent on a handgun ever is $500...I want this to be a great gun I can someday hand down to my son.

a PS question what would you go with the S&W Model 41 or the CZ Tactical Sport? I think I know the leanings here but I just figured id ask . Im leaning Model 41 right now....but there really isnt a TON of difference in the MATCH type ammo and 9mm ammo? always figured rimfire would be the less expensive alternative.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My only comment....

….as you get older, the less you want to deal with recoil, the less your body is able to handle it.

Therefore I would suggest rimfire guns for the elderly.

The Henry is a great choice, I have both a .22lr, and a .22magnum. And their customer service is second to none.....literally. A 41 is a great choice too.

Ferox34
age 71
Old 10-04-2018, 04:29 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
….as you get older, the less you want to deal with recoil, the less your body is able to handle it.

Therefore I would suggest rimfire guns for the elderly.

The Henry is a great choice, I have both a .22lr, and a .22magnum. And their customer service is second to none.....literally. A 41 is a great choice too.

Ferox34
age 71
Well I will be 50 so im not THAT old yet but I know what you mean . Id been told the newer Henry with the octagonal barrel and a globe front and Vernier rear sight is a good set up for the cowboy lever action..ty for your reply .

Last edited by CBennett21; 10-04-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018, 04:52 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is one nice Henry. Manhandled it at the NRA Convention. Wanted one but no room in the budget nor the safe. I also handled the Chiappa Little Sharps.

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p/id...ssic-Rifle.php

That and a Vudoo would be my choice for a retirement rifle.

I own a S&W Model 41. It shoots very nice. You might need to shop around to find one. Just the availability and price might make the decision between a new or newer one or an older one.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Quick Draw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Quick Draw
I'm 65 and my model 41's are the most pleasant and most satisfying guns to shoot.
Next are my 1911's with very lightly loaded 185gr and 200gr SWC loads.

I had to give up the rip roaring 357's and 44 magnums.

I highly recommend the model 41.
They are accurate and tons of fun to shoot.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:19 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The S&W Model 41 is an excellent choice. You can find deals in the used market if you shop around. Deals do come by. I highly recommend going rimfire as you get older. I also recommend red dot sights as you age.

As far as the Henry, they are a great value. If you can find a deal on a Marlin 39A then it would be a great choice, but again you need to take your time and shop around.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:12 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Other than preference is there a difference in old vs NIB 2018 model 41's as far as function/fit/accuracy..i know the newer ones have been tapped to mount a scope/red dot,etc easier bit other than that is there any real difference??
Old 10-04-2018, 07:10 PM
kevintaylor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
….as you get older. .....

Therefore I would suggest [B]rimfire guns for the elderly[/B.......

Ferox34
age 71
OK, I sold my 458 win mag, Bought a 52D with the proceeds, But that don’t mean I am “elderly”. Kevin 72.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:54 PM
mauiblue

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought my Model 41 about 10 years ago brand new for about $850 from Bud's Gun Shop. About a year ago I changed out all the springs and the extractor because I was having problems with FTE. It is a robust design and very accurate. Fun to shoot and easy to work on.

I would find a nice specimen that was used but has the original box. A 5 or even 10 year old model would be good. Just be patient. It will eventually come to you. Good luck and be safe.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If u are going to shot rimfire go to Whitter gun and get a new CZ 452 American, U will love it. That is what I did after retirement and now I have 4 CZ's
Old 10-04-2018, 11:46 PM
Dddrees

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have arthritic hands so I've found the S&W 41 to be the most pleasant to fire handgun that I own and I have a good number of other 22 handguns. The trigger is to die for so it's extremely pleasant in that regard as well.

If your willing to spend a bit more I would highly recommend a Winchester 9422 instead of the Henry. Henry maybe nice but the Winchester 9422 in my opinion is the S&W 41 of 22 Lever guns.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:21 AM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBigDog1955 View Post
If u are going to shot rimfire go to Whitter gun and get a new CZ 452 American, U will love it. That is what I did after retirement and now I have 4 CZ's
for what i want needs to be lever action
Old 10-05-2018, 07:24 AM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm 63. Retired 8 years ago. The 3 guns I shoot the most AND have the most fun with are the Henry H0001 (it shoots all 22 ammo), a S&W 617 (it shoots all 22 ammo), and a S&W 41 (it shoots CCI SV).
I bought the 41 used. It's a 1980 version and I paid less than $1000 for it. The 617 and Henry I bought new.

Last edited by kidneyboy; 10-05-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Scott860

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two 41s: an early 80s and a new one bought a year and a half ago. The finish is better on the older one and I had to replace the ejector one the new one when it cracked in half after a a couple thousand rounds. It had a very rough finish and failed at a stress concentration point. Both shoot the same. I only shoot CCI std Velocity though them. Before that I had a browning buckmark that was a lot of fun to shoot and was not fussy at all about ammo, though I shot almost exclusively CCI SV through it too (I compete in bullseye).

For just shooting for fun, I would say buy whatever feels like it fits you best when you hold it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott860 View Post
I have two 41s: an early 80s and a new one bought a year and a half ago. The finish is better on the older one and I had to replace the ejector one the new one when it cracked in half after a a couple thousand rounds. It had a very rough finish and failed at a stress concentration point. Both shoot the same. I only shoot CCI std Velocity though them. Before that I had a browning buckmark that was a lot of fun to shoot and was not fussy at all about ammo, though I shot almost exclusively CCI SV through it too (I compete in bullseye).

For just shooting for fun, I would say buy whatever feels like it fits you best when you hold it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats pretty much what I already use CCI standard..ive also used Remington subsonic and some higher velocity CCI and Winchester stuff..but since I have a while before I buy ive got plenty of time to find a good deal.