Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Crowshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Grail gun of my younger days.

So I always wanted a 41 but I was just never in the right place at the right time with money in my pocket.
Well then I come upon this one at the right time and place, as a gun collection had just come into my LGS and I had to bring it home.

Outside of it looks to be in fantastic condition and cycled great, I know nothing else about the gun. 5 digit Ser# starting 925

Cheers,

Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice M41 and looks to be an older model to boot. Congrats. My M41 is an absolute tack driver with SK Standard Plus ammo.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 PM
troystat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice, 41's are sweet pistols and it looks like you got a really nice one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 09:13 PM
mauiblue
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on the new pistol and nice eye candy. Since you were patient, you were rewarded. I got my Model 41 about ten years ago. It was brand new from Bud's Gun Shop. One night I saw they had one in stock and I bought it. S&W Model 41 is a great gun to shoot. Enjoy and be safe.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 09:55 PM
Crowshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks folks, it's a gun I'd be proud to pass down.

From a quick glance in the sticky at top of page, looks like it's a 1967 to 1969 manufactured gun if I'm reading that serial # info correctly.
Again I really don't know much about the 41's other than I always wanted one as on our weekly league nights some of the older guys had them and I was always in awe of the M-41 while shooting my far less cool at the time Ruger MKII Government model.

The gun came with the one seemingly matching magazine and they had the newer looking mag laying around the shop and gave it to me with the gun.
I gave the barrel, breach/bolt face and feed ramp a quick clean and ran some EEZOX down the slide groves then proceeded to run a quick 30 rounds of the Wolf match ammo down range to test function.
The first three shots failed to feed the next round, but once the EEZOX spread all the rest of the rounds functioned 100%.
I'll do a better clean and lube tomorrow then run some CCI SV along with other standard velocity ammo I have on hand.
Will report back on how that all goes.

Cheers,
GB
Old 05-15-2018, 11:15 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Congrats!... wonderful pistols.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:45 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (55)
Congrats.
I've owned dozens of handguns. The first one that I purchased was a Model 41. It is now the only one that I own.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:02 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Had a 5.5(?)" back in the mid-late '80s when I shot indoor Bullseye along with a couple of H.S.'s. The 7.5" Citation seemed to have more tens in it but when I pulled one with that long barrel it went farther out of the group than I did with the 41 so the 41 was the overall higher scoring pistol by a bit.
I didnt much care for the ambi-grip panels and I didnt find any aftermarket panels so I stripped the glossy off the originals and oil finished them, gave me a better feel, and intended to reshape the rt side 'thumb-bump' off though I never got around to it. Probably wouldnt have changed my scores anyway.... Long gone now.
NICE gun!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:54 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like the title of this thread and the subject. I first became interested in guns in the mid 1960's and would spend countless hours reading about them. The model 41 was one of the guns that I would dream about owning, it just appeared to be a piece of art, perfection in gun design. I still like to admire the 5.5 inch heavy barrel model 41 that I own today, it's almost as satisfying as actually shooting it.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:18 PM
huthike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful gun. Wasn’t my grail gun until I owned one - now one of my favorites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 06:26 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
I really like the title of this thread and the subject. I first became interested in guns in the mid 1960's and would spend countless hours reading about them. The model 41 was one of the guns that I would dream about owning, it just appeared to be a piece of art, perfection in gun design. I still like to admire the 5.5 inch heavy barrel model 41 that I own today, it's almost as satisfying as actually shooting it.
Absolutely. I too dreamed of owning a M41 for many years and vividly remember the day I finally bought mine. And you are also right wproct - It is a piece of art...
Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That is a beautiful pistol. I bought an older one years ago and I really like it.
The only down side to an older one is that the barrel isn’t D&T for a sight mount.
I had my dealer purchase an extra barrel from Gil Hebard guns because his dealer prices back then was so good. I couldn’t bring myself to D&T my original barrel.

Good luck with that awesome pistol.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 AM
Crowshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Grail gun of my younger days.

The gun just oozes build quality from a time when lawyers and CFOs didn't have as much control of the product and the factory gunsmiths and machinists were master craftsmen, not programers pushing a button.

It's unfortunate that my younger self isn't here to take advantage of the gun as these eyes of mine sure aren't what they used to be.
Was still great fun shooting this 41 today though even with the black flies as bad as they are. Because of them, most of my shooting was from my second story deck and 50 yards from my steel range. Was still lots of fun and the gun was more then up to the task.

I only ran three different rounds due to the buggy conditions.
CCI Quiet, CCI SV & some old Remington subsonic ammo.
The CCI Quiet wouldn't cycle the slide as was expected but had zero failures to feed or fire when cycled by hand.

The Remington subsonic is really old ammo and they seem to be on par with the CCI SV for FPS but they were terrible in the failure to fire dept. they would cycle perfectly when they did go off.
I quickly gave up on them in the 41, and even tried them in a TC Contender rotating the rims for multiple hits and still didn't get ignition on these old rounds most of the time.

The CCI SV functioned pretty well but would not always cock the hammer or go into battery fully. I think some of it was perhaps me limp wristing or some such as it wouldn't do this when on a shooting bag, so I think the SV is right on the cusp for the recoil spring as it sits right now. The Wolf Match Target functions perfectly.
I'll try the Green Tag I have on hand next and then perhaps I'll have a better idea on what to try after that.

All in all it was an enjoyable day with the new gun and I look forward to getting it out again soon.

Cheers,
GB

Last edited by Crowshot; 05-17-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 AM
Shrps74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice pistol! The only 41 I own, I bought used around '76 or so...come to find out it was a "first year" (1958)...shoots lights out...well at least that's what I remember as I haven't fired it in about 10 years...Shrps74