Surprise while cleaning my MKII - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:21 PM
Bob.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Surprise while cleaning my MKII

I cleaned my MKII Gov last night not because of any malfunction but because I was embarrassed it was so dirty. I disassembled cleaned and reassembled the lower because of the buildup of burnt powder, carbon and wax crud.
When I took the bolt apart the rebound or "firing pin" spring was 90 % gone.
Only one full coil of the spring was left and a little chewed up metal, can't believe I never had one problem with misfires. It got a workout just a few days ago when my sister and I were shooting some steel, again not one problem. I know the tiny little spring takes a beating and is a consumable item but I guess I was surprised it didn't cause problems.
Also the extractor was really worn, I filed it back in to shape and will replace it later. This MKII is about 20 years old and been shot a lot, It's never needed anything except I replace a broken firing pin a couple years ago.
I do clean it every 5-600 rounds "or so?" but usually just a field strip and bore cleaning , guess I need to take better care of it .
Check those rebound springs!

Older MKII's are like a Timex or energizer bunny.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just rebuilt my ~20 year old 22/45 MkII. Never had a problem, just something in my brain told me it was time. I guess you found the limit. So maybe in another 20 years you'll need to do this again? Kind of proves how reliable these pistols are!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 PM
valvestem
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMO the Mark 2s were the best, despite some people having difficulty with reassembly. They seem to keep on running with little maintenance. I have several, I expect them to outlive me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 PM
Bob.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It has been dependable for many years.
I also think the older MKII's were some of the better MK's.
Really putting the rounds through a MKIV now , we'll see if it holds up as well?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Steucy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Rebuild of MkII

Every few years I need to fix some of the innards of the bolt on my MK II
usually the extractor
I keep a bag with a complete set of parts on hand (not a very expensive proposition) and just replace everything at the same time
Old 03-21-2018, 03:50 PM
scottd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MKII

I have found that the clips get really dirty and cause feeding problems. I disassembled mine years ago and polished nearly every part. Was like a jigsaw puzzle putting back together but not bad. Cleaning between teardown/cleaning, I will take the grips off and spray down the gun with gun scrubber and let it drip dry. The clips, I totally disassemble them and clean them. I love my government MKII. I'll go to the grave with this one. My 41s sit in the safe scottd

Last edited by scottd; 03-22-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:51 PM
superdave001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know the feeling. I inherited a very early MK I from my dad and, after over 40 years (seriously) it had only been stripped down ONE time. My dad said that after the first time he stripped it and finally got that #@$^$ thing back together (his exact words aren't printable), that he would never take it down again. He stayed true to that. When I got it, I tore it down for a total clean and found that, even after having many, many thousands of rounds through it, it was in great shape and it still is. It is a very early (July 1951) build and I would still put it up against any new, comparable pistol for accuracy. For a pistol that is almost as old as I am, it can't be beat. I am 100% sure that it is completely original and all parts are still in very usable condition - including the firing pin and springs. I still shoot it on a 'occasional' basis and have aeery confidence that it will be reliable for another 50-60 years. Kudos to Ruger for building an awesome pistol. Hard to beat the old Red Eagle.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 PM
ColsPaul
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave001 View Post
I know the feeling. I inherited a very early MK I from my dad and, after over 40 years (seriously) it had only been stripped down ONE time. My dad said that after the first time he stripped it and finally got that #@$^$ thing back together (his exact words aren't printable), that he would never take it down again. He stayed true to that. When I got it, I tore it down for a total clean and found that, even after having many, many thousands of rounds through it, it was in great shape and it still is. It is a very early (July 1951) build and I would still put it up against any new, comparable pistol for accuracy. For a pistol that is almost as old as I am, it can't be beat. I am 100% sure that it is completely original and all parts are still in very usable condition - including the firing pin and springs. I still shoot it on a 'occasional' basis and have aeery confidence that it will be reliable for another 50-60 years. Kudos to Ruger for building an awesome pistol. Hard to beat the old Red Eagle.

Yeah, give me a Ruger or a S& W,
Anyday!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:30 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The firing pin rebound spring is a common item to break. Doesn't hurt to have a couple of replacements handy. One good point, if you also have a 10/22, it uses the exact same rebound spring.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Bob.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have rebound springs on the way.
After using the Tandemkross titanium firing pin in my MKIV I may get the kit for the MKII with the Ti firing pin, extractor and extra springs.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:00 AM
cometkid
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello Bob,
As a handgun chairman and out of courtesy to the group, I repair various handguns. I tear down about 20 Ruger Mk-series handguns a shooting season and personally own 4 Ruger Mk-series gun, a couple with well over 50,000 rounds shot through them. I keep maintenance records on them all.
Your observation of the rebound spring is typical for a spring that was not clean or well oiled. I have been finding that Ruger has not been lubricating their new Mk-series guns and with only few rounds the rebound spring is damage or broken. Ironically I very rarely see that on a high shot count gun. Check the rebound spring to tab fit, some tabs lately are too wide creating an interference fit between spring and tab. Other than changing worn springs or extractor all my Rugers are 100% reliable over the many years of shooting them. I too find that they need cleaning around the 400-700 round count depending on how dirty the ammo is.
I would suggest changing your extractor, filing it may make it worse. Increasing the tension distance between the extractor "point" and the bolt will reduce reliability. A worn extractor or a worn bolt extractor hole will impact reliability. The good news is that it take 50-75,000 rounds to wear a bolt / extractor hole out were a new extractor will not fix reliability issues. Only a new bolt or a sleeved bolt hole will reset the bolt / gun to new condition functionally in that case. I have found if a Ruger Mk-series gun has a reliability issue the problem in decreasing order of probability; dirty gun, ammo selection, worn magazine spring (free length less than about 7 3/4"), worn extractor or extractor spring. Only about 5-10% of the guns I repair will require something other than listed above. These guns are both extremely reliable and accurate (quarter size groups at 25 yards with ammo tested to the gun). I too am a Ruger Mk-series fan!!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:38 PM
DinoC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To add just a little to what Cometkid has already said...
The spring will fail prematurely if run in a way that friction will wear at the surface and cause a tear or micro fracture. Excess friction, corrosion, or worse yet running against burrs or sharp edges, will greatly shorten that spring life.

The point isn’t to over do it either (flood the place with lube), since that can also cause maintenance issues when taken to excess. Running that area completely dry is not good for service life. Finding the “Golden Mean” isn’t hard and only requires a little attention to detail when applying lubricants. Also, do take a magnified look at the area for very rough surfaces. Sometimes during machining, cutting tools get damaged or dull and the surface finish they produce can suffer. QC should catch this, but sometimes things get out (escapes). A little TLC to smooth a running surface can go a long way to preventing premature spring failures.

If the replacement spring shows early signs of galling or wear under magnification, take a look at where it is running and see if that looks rough.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:50 AM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
The firing pin rebound spring is a common item to break. Doesn't hurt to have a couple of replacements handy. One good point, if you also have a 10/22, it uses the exact same rebound spring.
Sage advice. They are inexpensive and I have several in my parts stash...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2018, 10:26 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink TK sells a pack of five

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpsMgr View Post
Sage advice. They are inexpensive and I have several in my parts stash...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
firing pin rebound springs, I just received mine. nice to know I have back ups.