Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Blizzaine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 452 First few hundred rounds

Hey guys,

So I finally got my beautiful 452 LH back from the gunsmith. Mounted a Weaver T36 Scope in actual 452 CZ rings. Had the barrel free floated and bedded the action. I haven’t shot a single round yet. I fully plan to make this gun my target rifle for fun at local gun clubs.

With that said, I know most people will say, “just shoot it” and that’s that as far as the first few hundred rounds. But I have heard other posts and videos stating the methods of 100 rounds of leaded bullets between 1000-1100 Fps, then clean the barrel and repeat 2 more times and it’s “Broke in.” I’ve also heard various other methods. So, is there honestly any merit to any of it or does it really just come to, “shoot it.” This is not my recreational hunting gun, but a serious fun target gun and would love to do it right. I’ve wondered if those FPS bullets help groove the rifling correctly from the get go or if it’s all just a sham because it’s a hand lapped .22 Rimfire already.

Thanks everyone and this is my first CZ!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:12 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure shooting a more complicated break-in regimen wouldn't do anything to diminish a CZ barrel so you should be safe if you go that route. I have 5 of them and I've always gone with the "shoot a brick of what I have on hand and give it a good cleaning" method. They all shoot very well now, I might add. A hammer forged barrel like a CZ might be more forgiving than a button rifled barrel, someone might offer an opinion on that.

Congratulations on getting what should be for you a very fun rifle.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:46 AM
Cold Bore

TPC Rating: 
95% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrblShtr View Post

I'm sure shooting a more complicated break-in regimen wouldn't do anything to diminish a CZ barrel so you should be safe if you go that route.
That's exactly the thought process that I've always used.

With my centerfire rifles, I follow a rather involved process, due to much higher speed, heat, pressures, jacketed bullets, etc.

With my rimfires, I modify and relax that regimen a bit, but I still follow a prescribed break in process.

I figure it won't hurt, and may help, so why not?

Interestingly, some rifle and custom barrel makers say "Don't worry about it", while others give detailed break in instructions with their barrels and on their websites. So even *they* aren't in agreement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)
I just give them a good initial bore cleaning whether they are new or used which involves wet patches of Pro Shot One Step or Rimfire Blend, a few passes with a brush, then a few passes JB bore compound with a tight fitting patch and finally a nylon brush short stroked in the chamber with JB's. I then clean all that out and after that I just use patches with solvent and the nylon brush short stroked in the chamber. I used this method all last summer and fired over 4000 rounds through a CZ 452, accuracy was the same at 4000 rounds as it was from day one. I guess the bore might smooth up a tiny bit but it can't be much IMO.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Blizzaine, your method of breaking in the rifle isn't likely to do any harm, but I'm not in the camp that says it's necessary.

What you SHOULD have is a good bore guide to help you from dinging the chamber and keeping your cleaning rod from rubbing the bore. Keep your brushes clean, too.

Careless cleaning is more hazardous to a rimfire rifle than any amount of shooting, IMO.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Blizzaine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought an Otis tactical cleaning kit. I know to use the .17 size attachment for the patches, but does the .22 brush go through the 452 bore safely? Do I really need a rod and bore guide for my first cleaning or can I just run tons of patches and the brush through and then patches again with the
Otis and call it good?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM
teetertotter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzaine View Post
I bought an Otis tactical cleaning kit. I know to use the .17 size attachment for the patches, but does the .22 brush go through the 452 bore safely? Do I really need a rod and bore guide for my first cleaning or can I just run tons of patches and the brush through and then patches again with the
Otis and call it good?
You will need this specific Otis brush size for your 452
https://otistec.com/21-cal-bore-brus...ylon-1-bronze/

Just clean your barrel and test different ammo. It only takes me 10 rounds after a thorough cleaning, to ensure my barrel is seasoned and accurate out to 100 meters, with GOOD target grade ammo. I use the Patch Worm pull through and Otis pull through brush. Rods and guides are not for me. Good Luck!

Check any local clubs and see if they have any .22LR disciplines you can join on a weekly basis. Have loads of fun with your new LH 452

Last edited by teetertotter; 02-21-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Blizzaine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzaine View Post
I bought an Otis tactical cleaning kit. I know to use the .17 size attachment for the patches, but does the .22 brush go through the 452 bore safely? Do I really need a rod and bore guide for my first cleaning or can I just run tons of patches and the brush through ant Hanks man!d then patches again with the
Otis and call it good?

Just clean your barrel and test different ammo. It only takes me 10 rounds after a thorough cleaning, to ensure my barrel is seasoned and accurate out to 100 meters, with GOOD target grade ammo. I use the Patch Worm pull through and Otis pull through brush. Rods and guides are not for me. Good Luck!

Check any local clubs and see if they have any .22LR disciplines you can join on a weekly basis. Have loads of fun with your new LH 452
Thanks man!
Old 02-21-2018, 04:03 PM
blades

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Might want to use a muzzle cap/guide with those pull through items- have had a couple barrels come though that the owners were using those exclusively and wore groves in the crown- not dishing anything just some caution. the nylon picks up crud from the bore and then acts like a file. ( same thing can happen with various rods if not kept clean as well and if not supported at the exit). nothing new more or less general knowledge- various discussions about this over the years.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:45 PM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post

Sage advice...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 04:57 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
welcome,

This is how i see things and such. Its just my opinion and i see this alot now on the various boards i read.

There is so much info on the www now everyone will do an in-depth research or read reviews into buying a roll of toilet paper and such and will be inundated with so much info they cant make up their mind or wont use any common sense or give up their choice to the www or reviews.

So you can do the same if you choose.

But what it comes down to is maybe a mix of whats said. Why does it have to be either or?

- just shoot the rifle and see. Right now all you are doing is to do "what-ifs". Thats fine for paper, but you need to sit down and throw some lead down range.

- You can also do all of your research and take notes. Then if you want to figure things out for yourself then do each one of those methods.

- keep track of your methodology and results and let the results speak for themselves.

If you read enough and play with enough toys you will find that every toy will have a preference even if they are the same gun off the assembly line. but i will let you figure that out.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 PM
tennsooner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 3 cz 452s .One I did no break in on just loaded it up and started shooting.
The second one a buddy of mine bought one just like it and we did the most ridiculous break in you could imagine. Something like run a brass brush and some solvent down the barrel after every three shots for 150 rounds.
The third one I shot 300 standard velocity rounds running a bore snake in a couple of times after every 100 rounds.

The long and short is there is no difference in how any of them shoot. They are all excellent.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 PM
mbrd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i always feel like i have no time until i make the effort to take my time.

barrel break in is a relaxing way to settle into a rifle, get on paper with no pressure, maybe chrono the thing, and generally do something other than worry about hitting the bull or the beer can for a change.

it's still shooting, and it's certainly not going to hurt anything... even if it doesn't help the barrel, i find it a therapeutic practice.

of course, who knows what the heck is wrong with me?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 PM
mbrd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
come to think of it, i'd really like to hear what a guy like jaia has to say about it... maybe even jaia himself.

is it reasonable to suspect that someone who staples criterion barrels to microlams might have also experimented with break in procedures?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:47 PM
milleron

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carl Jooss, the owner of Champion Shooters Supplies and a highly successful competitive shooter on a national level for >50 years, knows more than a little about quality rimfire rifles. When I bought my Anschütz from him, I asked him specifically about break-in. He told me, "You don't need to do a thing. Just shoot "good" ammo." He pointed to his ammo counter and told me that the gun will shoot anything over there quite well. Although there are some offerings on his Web site for CCI and Federal, I saw no domestic .22LR in the store, so you know what he means by "good ammo."